Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospitals in Edinburgh Please

Guest Jsrhed

Hi,

Can anybody tell me if certain hospitals in Edinburgh catered for long stays, seven months and over.

My great grandad lost the lower half of one leg and part of the foot, the heel I think on the other, he was in a hospital in Edinburgh for over seven months, I was wondering if there was a particular hospital that he would have been in. He was wounded at Passchendaele in 1917.

Any help on this would truly be appreciated.

Thank you

Jenny.

Hi Jenny

I found the following info about hospitals in and around Edinburgh in WW1:

Edenhall [Musselburgh]: looked after people who had lost limbs

Craiglockhart War Hospital: Treated shell shock [Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sasson were treated there]

City Fever Hospital: As the name suggets it treated people with fevers and infections

Bangour, Gogarburn and the Royal Victoria were 3 other hospitals with the latter two dealing with neurological issues.

The Edinburgh Royal Infirmary was also operational as was a hosptial in the north of Edinburgh called the Pilton Hospital [later the Northern General]. I'm not sure that they had any areas dediacted to WW1 casualties though.

The first one mentioned above may be the best bet.

Regards

LIT

I have a booklet from the Dundee War hospital. It seemed to serve patients for long term stays.

I've typed up a story from the booklet which you can view - here.

The attachment is the image on the front cover.

Thank you to you both, The advert shown for the false legs shows the one my Great Grandad must of had, apparently this was attatched to a kind of belt with braces. A special sock had to be worn, which was made from wool (two types one for summer one for winter).

Thanks again

Jenny