The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who are these women?

Kathie

On the British side of the trees and so not amongst the German burials but apart from the British and also apart from the Russians, are two gravestones. They contain no details just the names "Lina Nickel" and "Minna Durssen" (and I think they might have the date 1917 thereon). I have been unable to find out anything about them. Does anyone have any information?

Thanks

Kathie

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking more about these women. They are definitely buried on the British side of teh cemtery and with British gravesteones.

Could they be nurses?

Could they be from some part of Eastern Europe or Germany but not with the german military.

could they be german nurses? but then why on the British side and with British gravestonese?

Kathie

Jim Strawbridge should know. He is compiling a book on women casualties in WW1- or similar title!

Do a 'members' search for him.

Martin

Terry Denham has been able to confirm to me that these, as I suspected, are Foreign National War Graves under CWGC care. As serving soldiers I suggest that they must have been male.

DURHSEN, MINNA

Soldier German Army

Died 19/08/1917

Plot 3 Row F Grave 1B

NICKEL L, LINA

Soldier German Army

Died 11/12/1917

Plot 3 Row F Grave 1A.

This is absolutely fascinating. first, of all the names suggested females. seconldy, that they were not moved to the german section.

How would one find out abou thtem???

thanks for that information.

Kathie