Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Into Battle A Soldiers diary of the Great War

Rob B

I wanted to put a plug in for this book which is the diary of John Glubb who went to France as a young 18 year old 2/Lt in the Royal Engineers. It traces his arrival and posting as a troop commander with 7 Field Company through Ypres the Somme, Arras and Cambrai. He was wounded badly in Aug 1917 spending nearly a year in hospital.

He went on to become Lt General Sir John Glubb KCB, CMG, DSO, OBE, MC.

It is a highly readable diary annotated with hand drawn maps and a very nitty gritty view of the war.

A good informative read.

Cheers,

Rob

I believe this has been reviewed previously by another Pal and he was full of praise for it as well.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

regards

Arm

I had a letter from Lady Glubb just after her husband died while I was talking to vets-Glubb Pasha organised the Arab Legion in the second War and made them a useful ally. He was a great man and indeed it is a great book one of the first I read

• 5 years later...

As a young lad I met the man when he came to speak at my school (I was detailed as a sort of runner to keep him supplied with tea and biscuits etc.) Glubb Pasha was a nice guy but his public speaking skills did not match his military ones. Perhaps we were the wrong audience.

It is a superb book and well worth reading alone just for his descriptions of the Wancourt area in mid-April 1917 during the Battle of Arras.

• 4 years later...

I picked this up fairly cheap and i'm glad i did so, even though it's out of my usual regimental interests.
It is well written and the hand drawn maps are an excellent guide.

I'd recommend it be added to anyones "to read" pile.

Derek.

As a young lad I met the man when he came to speak at my school (I was detailed as a sort of runner to keep him supplied with tea and biscuits etc.) Glubb Pasha was a nice guy but his public speaking skills did not match his military ones. Perhaps we were the wrong audience.

It maybe because he lost half his jaw in the Great War.

Charles M

• 2 years later...

Just finishing this book and I wish I could read it again for the first time. I read a lot of 'first person accounts' and this is up there with the best. It particularly brings alive the hardships of life on the move, the mud, the rain and the cold. Highly recommended.