Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Steve Bramley

REMEMBERING THEM TODAY. 1/5TH LINCOLNS BARTON COMPANY

AND ALL OTHER MEN ON BOTH SIDES AT THE COAL MINES.

REST IN PEACE BOYS YOU GAVE YOUR ALL.

• 3 weeks later...

I should just like to call attention to one officer of the 1/5th Linclonshires (T.F.) killed at the Hohenzollern. 2nd Lt John A. B. Jolley. He was 20, and would have gone up to Cambridge had he not been killed.

Jolley.bmp

Hello Hugh,

Many thanks for posting the photograph. Do you mind me asking where it is from?

The History of the 1/5th Lincolnshire Regiment icludes the following:

Chapter IV 'The Ypres Salient' (The Battn. were in trenches near Hill 60)

'On August 22nd we returned to the trenches, taking over an extra trench, No 41 from the 137th Brigade on our right. On the next day a further reinforcement of officers reached us, 2nd Lieuts. Abbot, Bott Brown, Bone, Jollye and Wright joining from England, while Lieut. Fieldsend joined from the Divisional Rest Station and resumed command of the Machine Gun Section.'

'On September 5th an unlucky isolated shrapnel shell killed two men and wounded two officers, Lieuts. Lowe and Bott.'

Only one man is recorded as killed in the war diary, L/Cpl Fred Thompson from Old Brumby near Scunthorpe.

Chapter V 'The Hohenzollern Redoubt'

'The casualties were extremely heavy; of 23 officers who went into action, 11 were killed and 11 wounded, of whom one subsequently died of wounds; 285 other ranks were reported killed or missing, and 175 wounded....The loss in officers however was irreparable, as the following casualty list shows: it bears eloquent testimony to the gallant leading of the attack.

Killed in Action: Major H.I. Robinson, Captain and Adjutant V. de Hoghton. Captains H.S. Scorer, H.W. Nicholson, G.H.J. Sowter, Lieut. W.L. Hartley. " tieuts. P.K. Brown, E.E. Early, J.A.B. Jollye, C.B. Shrewsbury, T.Wright.

Died of Wounds: 2nd Lieut. J.Blunt.

Wounded: Lieut.-Colonel T.E. Sandall, Major H.G. Wilson, Lieuts, B.C. Hall, C.F.W. Haseldine, F.L. Jones, H.D. Mountain, J.S. Nichols, D.F. Underwood 2nd Lieuts. R.L. Hett, W.H.G. Smyth.

One officer only, Captain R.E. Madge, who did excellent work with his machine gun section, and was subsequently mentioned in despatches, was left to bring the Battalion out of action.'

Interestingly, CWGC has his name spelt correctly but his d.o.d. wrong!

Name: JOLLEY, JOHN ANDREW BENJAMIN

Initials: J A B

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text: 7th Bn. attd. 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/10/1915

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 31 to 34.

Cemetery: LOOS MEMORIAL

MIC

Description Medal card of Jolley, John Andrew Benjamin

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lincolnshire Regiment Acting Serjeant

Lincolnshire Regiment Second Lieutenant

Steve.

Sorry to be slow replying, Steve!

The photo is from The Pelican, the school magazine of The Perse School, Cambridge, where he was a student.

Second Lieutenant Jolley was quite a good poet whilst at school. He wrote the following poem, the last stanza-and-a-half of which is going to be used at the beginning of a commemorative volume on the war dead of The Perse.

The Dying Heracles.

Then Phoebus, in his wondrous car of fire,

Arising from the sea, touched with his rose.

Tipp’d hands the hills, and all the heavenly choir

Of birds awoke.

There on the banks where the great river flows

The dying hero mounted on the pyre arose.

A wisp of smoke.

He spake: “There was a time when none did dare

“To speak of me, save with his bated breath,

“Afraid lest I should come to him and tear

“Him limb from limb

“Now I who once did wear the victor’s wreath,

“Through a weak woman’s hands these pains must bear,

“E’en I, who once did pit myself ‘gainst Death,

“And strove with him.

“Once did I fight with Death to save a friend,

“Now Death, recovered from his first defeat,

“Seeks to regain his own, and in the end

“He conquers me.

“I strove to conquer death, and in the heat

“Of passing Triumph, thought that I did bend

“Him to my will, that I in fight could meet

“Him, and be free

“But none can conquer Death, no hero can

“Escape his clutches, be he ne’er so strong,

“For dreaded Death and Hades cast their ban

“Upon them all.

“What Death is, none must know, for it is wrong

“To seek out knowledge too divine for man,

“But e’en for heroes there awaits ere long-

“A sable pall

J. A. B. Jolley, O.P.

Killed in Action at Loos,

October 13th 1915

The tragic irony is, of course, given the last two lines, that Second Lieutenant Jolley has no known grave.

From The Perse School Book of Honour 1914 - 1919 (Unfinished):

There can have been few pupils so involved in the school in an extra curricular way as J. A. B. Jolley. He was, at the time he left the school, both a prefect and a sergeant in the Officer Training Corps, Honorary Secretary of the P.S.C.C., editor of The Pelican, on the Debating Society Committee, Honorary Secretary of the Navy League, and Honorary Treasurer of the Perse Folk. He had 1st XI cricket and hockey colours, as well as 2nd XV rugby colours and West House Colours. He won a scholarship for Classics at St. Catherine’s College, Cambridge, but before he could start his studies went off to war.

After war was declared in 1914, J. A. B. Jolley enlisted in the Public Schools Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, and commenced training at Epsom, later becoming an Acting Sergeant Instructor. However, he soon took a commission in the 9th Battalion, The Lincolnshire Regiment. In a letter written at the time he expresses his opinions on a certain town where his battalion was stationed: ‘My fears as regards Grimsby were but too well founded. Our Battalion headquarters are in the fish docks, and the Company headquarters are in a cinematograph house! Altogether, the smell of Grimsby is annoying. But I flourish!’

He travelled to France, where, attached to the 1/5th (Territorial) Battalion of the same regiment (from August 1915), he took part in the Battle of Loos. On 13th October 1915, the 1/5th Lincolns assaulted the Hohenzollern Redoubt. They advanced well across No Man’s Land, and into the Redoubt, only to be mown down by machinegun and rifle fire as they pressed forward toward Fosse Trench. Of 23 officers and 850 men who started out, only one officer and 110 men returned unhurt. Second Lieutenant Jolley was not one of them; he was killed that day, aged but twenty. He wrote the poem at the front of this book. There is perhaps some bitter irony in the last line given that Second Lieutenant Jolley has no known grave.

Second Lieutenant J. A. B. Jolley is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France, panels 31 to 34.

Hugh,

And sorry for being slow seeing your reply!!

Many thanks for posting this very interesting material.

Quite a 'romantic' as a poet, i wonder if his style would have changed? And indeed the final lines are very poignant.

‘My fears as regards Grimsby were but too well founded. Our Battalion headquarters are in the fish docks, and the Company headquarters are in a cinematograph house! Altogether, the smell of Grimsby is annoying. But I flourish!’

:lol:

Fortunately for most, but unfortunate for others, the 'smell' has dissipated somewhat in recent years!

Below is a recent photograph of the Hohenzollern area,

'The Redoubt looking from the approximate area of Fosse trench.'

post-1168-1131640816.jpg

Thanks once again,

Steve.

Steve,

Sorry to be so slow replying - I've been in Greece for the last few days!

Thanks for the picture - It really puts it in all in perspective.

When I went down to the Loos Memorial a couple of years ago, I took a copy of his poem and read it out by the panel with his name on it.

Best wishes,

Hugh.

Hi Hugh,

Hope the weather agreed with you :)

I can imagine the reading of his poem was a very special occasion, it's moments like that that really mean something. A very fine tribute indeed.

When I first went to the Loos memorial and stood in front of the panels it was a very emotional experience for me, for which I was quite unprepared, very humbling. It brought all of my research into perspective, to read and remember so many names. I just hope that eventually I can do the memory of these men justice.

Cheers,

Steve.

I am not a poet myself and in no position to be critical of works of this nature. It is just my opinion that there’s only one poem about the Famous Redoubt that has great relevance and was viewed as being such a fine example of regimental poetic license in its day it was distributed to all members of the 5th Battalion the Lincolnshire Regiment. Considering we have so many interested parties I am surprised no one has mentioned it. I`m almost sure this would be the poem the lads would remember……

I share it with you now:

The Attack on the Famous Redoubt

By Pte H. L. Daulton 5th Lincs Reg

Ward 23 D Bed 182

Wharncliffe War Hospital Sheffield

post-3191-1132311128.jpg

post-3191-1132311141.jpg

post-3191-1132311163.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The last poem is very interesting as I came across virtually the same verse printed in "Cannock Advertiser"of 27th May 1916. The poem is attributed to Sapper J. Dutton, 2/1st North Midland Field Company, Royal Engineers. Sapper Dutton came from Landywood:

"The Charge of the Terrier Brigade"

13th October 1915

'Twas the Thirteenth of October

When the stirring charge was made,

On the Hohenzollern Redoubt

By the Terrier Brigade.

They had held the line in Belgium

For eight long weary months,

They had no chance to go forward

But they never faltered once.

And now the chance was given them

Each heart was filled with joy,

From the General Commanding

to the youngest Drummer Boy.

We relieved the Guards at daybreak.

They explained to us the ground,

And how the trenches before us

With machine guns did abound.

A Captain passed along the trench,

"Keep clam my lads", said he,

"And by the help of God above

We'll claim a victory".

The boys, they understood him

And all ready for the fray,

We cracked our jokes with ne'er a thought

Of the ending of the day.

At five-to-two the order came;

"Stand-To boys and get ready!"

'Tis hard this waiting for your work

But be both calm and steady.

Again the order came along,

Two minutes to go, now one.

Then over the top and at 'em boys

For God's sake do get on.

In a minute or two we found ourselves

Masters of their front line.

Then it's over and at 'em again

Go on, you're doing fine.

In No-Man's Land many a hero fell

But on, still on they came.

Our folks at home will feel proud to know

'Twas for right and an honoured name.

At last we gained the ground we wanted

But oh, what an awful loss.

Still we did our duty, the order was -

"Take and hold it, at whatever cost".

The Engineers, they did their bit

After the charge was made.

With stakes and wire they made secure

The ground that we had gained.

Game to the last, they held their ground

For two whole days, we're told.

And the Guards relieving were moved to tears

At the glorious tales we told.

The boys who are left shed silent tears

As they fight it over again.

For many a pal and brother too

Are numbered with the slain.

"Trust in God", the Chaplain said,

"And think of the badge you wear".

We did, and we thought of our wives and parents too

Whose names we proudly bear.

If only the slackers in England now

Would think of those that are gone,

And resolve to shed their own life's blood

For the sake of their dear old home.

If with one voice they'd cry, "I will!"

Then this terrible war will cease

And the world would at last be clothed

In an everlasting peace.

Is there any chance you could obtain a copy of the source please? It looks at though the Lincolns poem has been ripped off! :lol:

There werent any Sappers making charges at the Redoubt. The infantry were running their own communications. I realise the engineers would of been there but not is the first assault which the poem describes in its opening verses.

Heres a copy of the cover of the poem that was reproduced.

hon.jpg

Steve.

Steve, Andrew.

On 13.10.15 the 2/1st Field Coy R.E. at 6.30 p.m. acted as a water carrying party for the infantry, 200 petrol cans full of water were taken up to the front line. (400 gallons)

On 14.10.15 at 5 p.m. the Company put up 200 yards of french wire out in front of the west face, arriving back at billets at 5 a.m. the next day.

Regards,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...