Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Navy Service Record

Paul Nixon

Perhaps he qualified for "long service" but was ineligible because of a lack of "good conduct". He required fifteen years continuous VG conduct assessments (and there were other requirements).

Jane, dittoed from ineligible in the line above for Webb

I see - apologies!

As I suspected, Rooke's record shows he was ineligible for LS&GC Medal because, although he had 15 years of VG conduct, his character was assessed as "Fair" in 1898 in consequence of desertion (he was marked "Run"). The conditions of the award were that previous character must not be inferior to "Good".

• 10 months later...

Sorry for late reply to very old post. I am also interested in item (8). Did you ever receive an answer about the gratuity?

My great-grandfather was at HMS Nelson and also received "10/- Grat for raisg U.28 Nelson Feb 05"

This was just 1 month after joining the Navy so I find it unlikely that he was being rewarded for some action.

He would have been from poor farming background so I suspect that this was for something he would need to buy for his naval service - uniform, mess kit, tools but I have no real idea and would like to know.