Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EDITH CAVELL 1865-1915

chris basey

Ninety years ago today, 12th October 1915 at 0700 hours in Brussels, Edith Cavell was exceuted by German firing squad.

She had admitted to helping several hundreds of Allied troops to escape from occupied Belgium and bravely faced the consequences.

'Greater love has no one than this - that they lay down their life for their friends.'

Remember her today!

post-702-1129099001.jpg

Thanks to both of you for reminding us.

Mandy

Nice to be reminded - thanks.

Incidentally, I always assumed that the name was pronounced "CaVELL" to rhyme with "hell" but read recently that Edith’s brother has been quoted as saying, ‘ Our name does not rhyme with HELL but with GRAVEL’

Finally - Chris has modestly omitted to mention the excellent article he wrote this time last year, regarding the annual Act of Remembrance at Miss Cavell's grave, which is held on the nearest Saturday to October 12th. You can read it here.

Tom

Simon

Very grateful for the Guardian link.

Amazing that still, today, her name excites interest. Amazing, too, that the activites that made her famous occupied just a few short months at the end of her fifty years.

She said that she wished to remembered as 'a Nurse who did her duty' so she would, no doubt, be totally bemused by the way she is honoured now.

I think that she would have approved, though, of the way that Brussels remembers her. Mainly by naming one of the main hospitals after her and, as a result, all the babies born there carry her name on their birth certificate.

I read the Guardian article this lunchtime and was wondering why the newspaper used as headline "How British Diplomats failed Edith Cavell".

It is my understanding that members of the Red Cross were/are neutral and that once Edith decided to assist in the escape of the allied prisoners she clearly broke this neutrality and thus made herself vulnerable to criminal prosecution.

I do indeed wonder what British diplomats could have done to save her...

An amazing woman nonetheless.

Tim

Her memorial in Peterborugh Cathedral

Chris

post-4020-1129135147.jpg

Chris

Thank you for posting that very good shot of the Peterborough Cathedral plaque - you must have been on a laddder to avoid the reflections!

I always feel that this plaque on its own doesn't give the complete picture - it should be accompanied by the smaller plaque beneath it. That is in memory of Margaret Gibson who was a teacher at Laurel Court (in the precincts of the cathedral) and was responsible for Edith Cavell obtaining her first post in Brussels as a governess in 1890.

But for that introduction we may never have heard of Edith Cavell!

post-702-1129138667.jpg

Chris

Thank you for posting that very good shot of the Peterborough Cathedral plaque - you must have been on a laddder to avoid the reflections!

I always feel that this plaque on its own doesn't give the complete picture - it should be accompanied by the smaller plaque beneath it.   That is in memory of Margaret Gibson who was a teacher at Laurel Court (in the precincts of the cathedral) and was responsible for Edith Cavell obtaining her first post in Brussels as a governess in 1890.

But for that introduction we may never have heard of Edith Cavell!

Chris

I just managed to get the right angle that day & got a good shot which for me is unusual. Sorry, but I didn't understand the significance of the plaque underneath so thanks for putting me right.

As a piece of additonal info the Edith Cavell Public House in Norwich has changed its name & image. I wonder what happened to all the photos & newspaper cuttings etc.

All The Best

Chris

Incidentally, I always assumed that the name was pronounced "CaVELL" to rhyme with "hell" but read recently that Edith’s brother has been quoted as saying, ‘ Our name does not rhyme with HELL but with GRAVEL’

Tom

That's certainly how people in Norwich pronounce it (the latter).

Anthony

The death of Edith Cavell created a strong impression world-wide. The Canadians honoured her by naming a mountain in Jasper National Park after her. You can see a photo of Mount Edith Cavell here.

Cavell lake is at the foot of the mountain, fed by Angel glacier; the wings on the side of the mountain.

marc

The death of Edith Cavell created a strong impression world-wide. The Canadians honoured her by naming a mountain in Jasper National Park after her. You can see a photo of Mount Edith Cavell here.

Cavell lake is at the foot of the mountain, fed by Angel glacier; the wings on the side of the mountain.

marc

The Canadians certainly do things in style!! All we've got here in Norwich to comemorate her is a bronze bust of her and her grave tucked away alongside the cathedral.

Lionboxer

lionboxer

Many Norfolk people would agree with you - maybe it is a case of "A prophet is not without honour save in his own country".

You can help to redress things a bit by getting along to Norwich Cathedral at 11am on Saturday morning for the special Remembrance Service and wreath laying ceremony at the Cavell graveside.

The biennial Cavell Festival takes place at the village of her birth - Swardeston - on Saturday and Sunday.

See you there?

The Canadians certainly do things in style!! All we've got here in Norwich to comemorate her is a bronze bust of her and her grave tucked away alongside the cathedral.

Lionboxer

I often walk past the memorial and grave when I'm in Norwich. I must say I like the simple and understated approach. In any case, East Anglia can hardly compete with Canada when it comes to mountains!

Anthony

I often walk past the memorial and grave when I'm in Norwich. I must say I like the simple and understated approach. In any case, East Anglia can hardly compete with Canada when it comes to mountains!

Anthony

MMMM you may be right there but I'm sure a peak in Wales or Scotland would suffice.

NeilD

lionboxer

Many Norfolk people would agree with you - maybe it is a case of "A prophet is not without honour save in his own country".

You can help to redress things a bit by getting along to Norwich Cathedral at 11am on Saturday morning for the special Remembrance Service and wreath laying ceremony at the Cavell graveside.

The biennial Cavell Festival takes place at the village of her birth - Swardeston - on Saturday and Sunday.

See you there?

Chris,

Thanks for the invite but I've only just picked it up Sat 10.10. Hope it goes well. No doubt our other Norfolk hero will receive a better comemoration on the 21st October!!

Lionboxer

As a piece of additonal info the Edith Cavell Public House in Norwich has changed its name & image.

Chris

Pleased to say the pub's name is unchanged - 'The Edith Cavell' at the junction of Princes Street and Tomband.

Chris

Pleased to say the pub's name is unchanged - 'The Edith Cavell' at the junction of Princes Street and Tomband.

Must have been looking at the wrong place - then I was more interested in St George's Church

All The Best

Chris

This weekend, the belgian newspaper ' De Standaard ' remembers, in a small article, the execution of Edith Cavel and says also that documents about her death became open shortly.

Does anyone know anything about these " documents about her death became open shortly "

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

Gilbert

Very interested to hear that Edith Cavell was remembered in Belgium this weekend. Is the article small enough to scan and post to this forum? I would like to see it.

If you go HERE you will see the Press release from National Archives about the Foreign Office papers of 1915.

Regards

Chris

This weekend, the belgian newspaper ' De Standaard ' remembers, in a small article, the execution of Edith Cavel and says also that documents about her death became open shortly.

Does anyone know anything about these " documents about her death became open shortly "

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

Was hoping someone might know more than I do. Official documents in UK are sealed against public scrutiny for different lengths of time. My GUESS is that the relevant papers were sealed for 90 years and so should be open shortly.

There are a number of documents relating to Edith Cavell already in the public domain at the NA:

FO 383 series, in particular FO 383/15 - reports, enquiries and correspondence regarding her trial and execution and of others associated with her.

KV 2/822 and 2/844 - Records of the Security Services, documents associated with her time in Belgium.

There are also various files from other departments of state, mainly relating to her burial in England and memorials.

Terry Reeves