Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Most poignant war letter?

Paul Hederer

Bring on the tissues......that letter to his son is just so moving. It must have been hard to write.

Elle

It's very co-incidental this thread should be revived again.

In yesterday's Mail there was an article (Click Click) which gives details of some letters written thoughout the years from those facing death, to their loved ones.

The first letter quoted on this thread was truly moving and quite beautiful and was obviously written in the language of the day. I find the first letter quoted in the article above, from Gunner Lee Thornton to his girlfriend, written in the language of today, to be comparable and equally as moving and beautiful.

But mostly I find all the letters full of courage and love.

Kim

Dear Sir,

Can you give me any further information about my Dear Brother P W Lee ...

Poor Violet to be kept in doubt for so long.

Marina

One of the most moving letters is to be found in the museum at Ste Mère l'Eglise in Normandy. It was found in a hedgerow and was undated, unsigned and unadressed.

I don't remember the text now, but I know my wife and I read it with tears in our eyes.

A memorial here in the Ardennes commemorates a US soldier killed during the Battle of the Bulge. The last letter he sent his wife reads as follows:

December 14th 1944

My Beloved Wife,

In a few days or a few hours I shall be going into action.

It is never far from my thoughts that I may not see you again - you and our blessed babies. And since it is not given to us to know at what obscure spot on the map or what other meaningless moment my time will come, I have thought it best to write - to write now while I am still sound and well - some few things about myself, about us and our children.

If I should die it will be no one's responsibility but my own that it was so willed. This is my war, my army - one in which, in a peculiar sense I elected to serve. So easy it would have been to have requested limited service or to have avoided the draft altogether. But I could never have brought myself to such a course last winter - so many lifetimes ago And I could not bring myself to it today. For I would be severely judged and by mankind condemned if having seen the inevitability of this struggle, having urged other men to give their lives in the resolution of it, I was content with a lesser sacrifice.

However confused is our picture of the world today, however blurred the lines of the conflict, yet I am certain that I fight on the side of men of goodwill everywhere in the world. No more than that. For men of ill will were not born so, and may be, by time and by God's good grace be redeemed. It is for men everywhere - whoever they are, wherever they may be, that I am fighting.

The Battle of the Bulge started at 5 a.m. on 15th December.

This soldier was killed on January 13th 1945.