Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Paris

Boreenatra

Make sure you eat well before you go, Otherwise you will die of starvation/thirst due to the criminal prices charged to the average punter in this city. I jest ye not.

Des the Paris Hater.

Des. Been before,mostly on business so never had time to really check out any war stuff, but have found Paris to be cheaper than London for example but then it depends on your view of expensive. Regards Steve

Des. Been before,mostly on business so never had time to really check out any war stuff, but have found Paris to be cheaper than London for example but then it depends on your view of expensive. Regards Steve

I agree, but it depends where you go. There are various guides to getting by on a budget in Paris and checking out some of the places they suggest could well be more fun than you think.

Frankly, with all the other things to see and do, if I was headed for Paris, I would not have WWI on my mind.

Make sure you eat well before you go, Otherwise you will die of starvation/thirst due to the criminal prices charged to the average punter in this city. I jest ye not.

Des the Paris Hater.

Philistine. You must have been walking around with a "shaft me, I'm a tourist" T-shirt on. :)

Andy

Nothing will convince me that Paris is owt but a money making machine.

In fact Euro-Disney was cheap compared to Paris.

Grumpy Old Tourist

Des the Paris Hater.

Never been to Scandinavia, I trust? Of to Oslo in two weeks time and taken out a second mortgage.

Regards,

Marco

Nothing will convince me that Paris is owt but a money making machine.

I'm with Andy on this one. Mrs H travels there quite a bit and reckons it's reasonable (if you get off the main tourist area). That said, she is on expenses when she travels, so doesnt give much of a s**t.

Last time we were there together, we got pickpocketed at the Gare du Nord. Cash, flight tickets, passports - whoooosh, they were gone. Put the mockers on the weekend.

Have only been once and yes it was expensive but not nearly as much as when we got home!

Why cos while there I fell pregnant with Rebekah and the rest as they say is history!

So becareful out there!

Mandy

Maybe it's the bleedin' Euro .. said Des the Euro-sceptical on the basis that Euro beer seems to cost more nowadays on me hols.

Going by the universal theory of economics which is based on the equation.

Beer at home = X

Thus if Euro Beer = X + 4

It's really XXXX

Oh yeah, there's a very impressive WW1 memorial at the Palais De Chaillot??? The square on the height overlooking the Eifell fing. Beware they charge you 20 cents to use Le Bog.

Apologies to Boreeetra for thread hi-jack. Give the guy some suggestions and stop hinting that I'm a miserable git.

I already know I am. :lol:

A must see is Les Invalides (near Eiffel tower). It contains one of the largest military museums in Europe and whilst there say hello to Boney. Foch is also buried there (I think)

Andy

Steve - In 1997, Charles Fair wrote about lots of Great War locations in Paris, for "Hellfire Corner."  You can read what he has to say, here.

Tom

Tom, thanks for the reminder, those seem like a long time ago! There are a couple of other sites worth seeing in the 16th near the Trocadero you might want to add in:

Also near Foch’s statue in the Place is the superb Memorial to the Infantry, another work by the sculptor Paul Landowski.  Landowski is also known for his magnificent 'Fantomes' on the Butte de Chalmont on the Marne 1918 battlefield as well as the memorial to the Spahis at Senlis.

The memorial backs onto a high wall.  Behind the wall is Passy cemetery which is one of the smallest of the Paris cemeteries.  Although small, its location in one of the most exclusive arrondissements means that it is home to a particularly high proportion of famous people.  To the Great War enthusiast, the most famous is probably Maurice Genevoix, the author of one of the most famous of all French war memoirs 'Sous Verdun' published in 1916.  The aviator Henri Farman, General Gamelin, and Foch’s wife are also buried here.

Eating out needn't be expensive in Paris provided you stay away from the tourist areas. Two inexpensive family run restaurants that I have used regularly over the last 10-15 years are: Restaurant Lesclure (just off the Rue Rivoli and Rue Cambon) and the Perraudain (Rue St Jaques not far fom the Pantheon - superb tarte tartin). However, both these two are closed on Saturday nights.

Charles

I'd say the Chateau de Vincennes is well worth a look. It is a medieval castel with a WW1-link (the French army archives are kept there). The donjon-tower was recently cleaned up and is - at least that is what they say there - the largest and highest in France. It is just outside the city but well accessible with the subway and from the tower you have a nice view over the city.

Sorry but have to agree with Des, my sister lives in the Rue de Bonaparte (centre, right by the Seine) and since the advent of the godforsaken Euro she does nothing but grumble about the cost of living in Paris. She moved there from London and says London is considerably cheaper.

Andy

Off to Paris. Whats worth a look at re WW1? Regards Steve.

Don't bother with the Les Invalides - from a WW1 perspective anyway. The WW1 section has been closed for years - despite what the guide books say, including Lonely Planet and Rough Guide. It was still closed when I went there in July, and I just got typically French surley shrugs when I asked about it. It's ok if you like WW2 though - bit too De Gaulle obsessed though.

The Museum of the Legion of Honour was closed too - had been for a few years.

Two of the best things I saw was the memorial/museum for the hollicaust, and the resistance memorial. The Jewish quarted is great - they do nice cakes too.

Duncan.

The massive cemetary at Per Lachais is well worth a visit. The metro at Pigaile the closest.

I'm amazed that the Légiond'Honneur museum is closed. It was open two years ago when I was there and was newly refurbished. It was even open on Sundays.

I'm amazed that the Légiond'Honneur museum is closed. It was open two years ago when I was there and was newly refurbished. It was even open on Sundays.

Yeah, it was well and truely closed - looked like it was shut down too, rather than just not open - and the WW1 section of the Les Invalides. They were the only two things I wanted to see in Paris too - how p***ed off was I???

Considering how good Ebay France is with medals too, I was surprised that no antique shops, flea markets etc seemed to do medals either!