Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 36th Ulster Division at The Somme

Soren

• 2 weeks later...

Soren,

Your paintings of the sentry from the 36th Ulster Division, put me in mind of the following two photographs from the Memorial Room in the Ulster Tower.

Tony

post-4728-1130186850.jpg

I'm an Ulsterman and I have diffs with this .. specifically the helmets .. allI've found in research shows most of the Germans were wearing flat soft caps on the day. Coal scuttles were not around.

Soren - yours is coming on well.

Hi Des and Tony,

Thanks for the pictures and the comments, I think I'll need to research the day a bit more, I would have stuck the coal scuttle helmets on the Jerrys.

Soren

Short extract from war diary July 1 12th R Ir Rifles.

Lieut. McCluggage at once collected his men and tried to rush on to the German second line

but was killed in the attempt. The Germans in the front line it was noticed all wore caps while

those in the second line wore helmets.

The German second line was full of men and there was a very considerable number at the back

of the large mound on the left. All these men fired at Nos. 1 and 2 Platoons while they were

advancing and threw bombs at Nos. 3 & 4 while in the German front line.

Deffo would have been wearing Pickelhaubes during this period.

Very few steel helmets with the Germans on 1 July, a few scattered about with sentries. The men were wearing caps and pickelhaubes during the fighting.

Ralph