Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LOG BOOK

nosaj

I have been having problems locating the log book of the M.T.B. 633 to get the details of the action on the night 9/10 April 1945 in the ARSA CHANNEL, ADRIATIC. ( FAMILY MEMBER KILLED).As a matter of interest in early 1946 M.T.Bs 633,634,637,638,642,643,s58, and 700 were stripped of their guns and engines and sold to another country they were to be towed from malta behind the destroyers " JERVIS, CHEVRON, CHEQUERS, and CHAPLET 4 m.t.bS to each destroyer, however a storm blew up and were denied permission to delay the sailing time and proceded to sail. The M.T.Bs being towed started to " SPIRAL" and brake their tow-lines so those that didnt brake-up were sunk by gunfire so as not to be a shipping hazard. Many Thanks. Chris Beeton. :(

Hello Nosaj, welcome to the forum. I think it only right to point out that this forum is aimed at the First World War researcher/enthusiast, so you may get more feedback from WW2 sites.

However, I can tell you that many logbooks for MTBs were not kept, so no amount of searching is going to uncover them. The National Archives has a manual procedure to follow to find if the log was kept or destroyed, and a phone call to them will probably tell you far more than I can about the one you are interested in. If you want to dig deeper, start with the action in which your relative was lost: there should be an encounter with the enemy report, plus find what other ships were present and repeat the process for them.

Good luck,

Bruce

:rolleyes: Many thanks to""HOLMFIRTHTONY," TERRYB95, and Tom Grieves, for the help with the Aussie problem. Also to Bruce Dennis for pointing something out that should have been obvious to me. Chris Beeton.