Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

My Grandad the Ghost ?

NIGEL

My Grandad served with the Navy prior to the war then joined the 11th Royal Warwicks and was wounded twice--i know he was gassed once.

When the Warwicks were disbanded in Feb 1918 he joined the Worcesters the next day and before the war ended he did something that earned him the Military Medal

Today i got a letter back from The Worcesters Research dept, who say although he is listed in the gazette for recieving the MM they have no record of what he did to recieve it or anything else on him--together with nobody else on the forum having any relation or interest in the 11th Royal Warwicks--if it wasnt for his photo and little family knowlege i would swear he never excisted.

If anybody out there has an interest in the 11th Warwicks or the 1st and 4th Worcesters in the last year of the war or knows of anything else i can do to find info on my grandad short of a Time Machine--please let me know.

After the war he served with the 1st Sherwoods in Ireland up untill 1927 and i am not building my hopes up :angry:

Nigel,

do you have an approximate date for when he was awarded the MM?

If you do a search of the war diary may reveal something as to why it was awarded. You may have to go backwards from the rough date about 3 months i think!

Any use?

Nigel

Now don't shout at me, as I know this isn't what you asked, but have you checked out the naval service records now available? There is just one George Ernest Green who shows up, born in Birmingham on 20th March 1887 - or perhaps I worked out you grandfather's name incorrectly?

Royal Navy service records

Sue

You may have to go backwards from the rough date about 3 months i think!

And, even then Nigel, you'll probably just have find some sort of "event" that happended and take the leap of faith that he MUST have done something brave during it.

One of my local researchees won the MM with the Canadians. I even got his full file from Ottawa and got zilch. Did the trawl back and all I could for weeks around the likely event was that the trecnh got shelled and men had to be dug out. Must have done something then. I think. Fingers crossed, Blah. Blah

John

Nigel

What about looking through local papers for the area in which he came from. A local boy being awarded a MM would usually get a mention. The National Newspaper Archive at Kingsbury has an online facility where you can identify the local papers for a given area that were being printed at the time. Of course you have to go there to look at them although some local papers that are still in print have their own archive.

Quite a number of these papers printed photos of "our boys"," letters from the front" etc

so if you know the MM Gazette date you can work back through maybe 2/3 local papers.

The papers are bound by years so its always worth looking through the whole year as he might get a mention - home on leave, reported wounded, awarded MM etc.

Stuart

Well thanks for the replies :)

Sue he is my old grandad thanks i never knew that place excisted and will order his records for the Navy---i owe you one

Anthony--I havent a clue when he did his good deed, perhaps it was after Feb 1918 when he joined the Worcesters, but who knows as John says. His mention in the Gazzette was i think October of that year or 1919 i dont have his details with me at the moment.

Stuart-- Good idea with the papers but i am on the West Coast of Ireland so it's out at the moment

One thing though--does anybody know of a research group for the Warwicks and perhaps they may have something??

Nigel,

Since he served in the army after WW1 I expect the MOD will still have his service records. Have you tried for them? It may not give details of his MM award, but at least they might give some more info for your records.

Ian

Here he is too (I think?):

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/a_mm_g

He has two MICs on the NA website. One to Pte 8812 George E Green, 11th Warwicks later Pte 57148 Worcesters, plus a second MIC to Sgt 57148 George Ernest Green, Worcesters. This looks very much like a typical MM entry – the first is the MIC, the second (at the higher rank) being the MM card.

However, I’ve checked the London Gazette and cannot find him, which is odd!

Had a similar one, MM to 3rd Worcester man. He was on the above Worcesters website and had the two MICs, but nowhere else listed (except the London Gazette obviously). No mention of his MM of the MIC, medal rolls, or with the regimental museum – which incidentally ain’t that good at getting info of individuals. I sent them loads in the past, MM winners, officers, 2nd battalion 1914 Star recipients – didn’t have records on any of them.

Duncan.

Incidentally, the 1st Sherwood Foresters were in India up until 1922, or thereabouts. They were eligible for the 'Waziristan 1921-24' clasp on the General Service Medal.

I would guess that he got the MM right at the end of the war, but it wasn't gazetted until 1919. It always took a few months (6+ I think) from award to gazette entry. Someone with Stacky's 'Worcestershire Regt in the Great War' book may be able to help, particularly as you know the battalion and that it was close to the end of the war.

Duncan.

I would guess that he got the MM right at the end of the war, but it wasn't gazetted until 1919.  It always took a few months (6+ I think) from award to gazette entry.  Someone with Stacky's 'Worcestershire Regt in the Great War' book may be able to help, particularly as you know the battalion and that it was close to the end of the war.

Duncan.

Where do i find one of these books or owners Duncan??????

Difficult one - the book costs 100s to buy too. I suggest putting a seperate thread on this site asking for info on what the 4th Worcesters got up to towards the end of the war - particularly any MM actions relating to gazette entries dated August 1919. Someone out there has the book cause they've given me info from it before.

Failing that there's the war diary entries, but you may pay out loads looking for the right one, and he may not even be mentioned in it. The only time I've seen an individual Private mentioned in a war diary was to a bloke accudentally shot in billets and, on the same page, someone else executed - so only unusual events it would seem.

There's also local papers. Again, lots of work, and next to impossible if you don't have access to local sources.

Frustrating ain't it???

Good luck,

Duncan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Probably worth PMing Nigel on this one Enoch - don't think he frequents any more.

Steve.

Hello Nigel

As Duncan says, there was often a fairly long gap between MM awards and London Gazette entries. This could stretch a 1918 award into 1920 or maybe even later in odd cases.

MMs were awarded summarily by Corps Commanders under delegated powers. If you draw a blank with the battalion war diaries, it might be worth looking at the Corps or Divisional A&Q (Adjutant and Quartermaster-General's Branch) diaries. These may have lists of awards.

Ron