Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Spot the Grave Error

Terry Denham

I know that West Sussex has martlets on the county crest but an eagle is really over the top, especially since it belongs to somebody else.

Nigel

I know mistakes happen but you would have thought that somebody, somewhere along the line, would have noticed..............

Terry

Is someone at the Commission looking for a new job?

All The Best

Chris

TD60's errors above show the perils of each stone being hand carved. The modern process of laser cutting should have removed this type of error but, obviously from my example, it has not removed the danger of the wrong badge!

TD60

Have you reported the above two errors so that they can be corrected?

TD60's errors above show the perils of each stone being hand carved. The modern process of laser cutting should have removed this type of error but, obviously from my example, it has not removed the danger of the wrong badge!

TD60

Have you reported the above two errors so that they can be corrected?

Terry

I wondered if those errors happened because of automatic technics rather than manual...

No I have not reported those mistakes to CWGC. I cannot imagine that nobody of CWGC has noticed those errors.

Kind regards

Tanneguy

Tanneguy

These errors are on headstone predating the automatic machinery. They look like simple cases of templates being reversed and the mason not being very knowledgeable on badges.

You should report these to the French office of CWGC and they will be corrected in due course. I suspect that you are right in saying that nobody has spotted these or they would have been corrected by now.

OK, TD60

If no one else is going to ask, I will reveal my ignorance by asking what is wrong with a Maple leaf for a Canadian gravestone. Is it perchance backwards? otherwise I have no clue.

Clueless in Orlando, Bill

Bill,

Private Ling's maple leaf badge is transposed (ie a mirror image).

2nd Lieutenant Druery's badge is upside down.

These aren't just grave errors - they're very grave errors... ;)

Cheers,

Mat

These aren't just grave errors - they're very grave errors...

The list of headstone errors is massive. Those mentioned here are but a drop in the ocean.

At least the unfortunate chaps resting beneath those stones are remembered. Of real concern is the outstanding number of men who await commemoration with the CWGC.

For over three years the likes of 2nd Lieut. John Christie SMITH, Notts & Derbys, died 21/3/18, have remained in limbo. Accepted by the Commission and MoD as missing from their register of war dead, but still awaitng official recognition.

Neil York

And here is one spotted in Cheltenham Borough Cemetery last month.

Captain Ernest Dudley Smythies was serving in the Royal Engineers when he died on 16 July 1918.

Jimmy

Letter and photo for CWGC Leamington prepared and will be posted this week.

Regards

Jimmy