I am looking for more information about :

Lt. Col. Archibald, Campbell STEWART DSO

1872 - 1936

OV Corps of Guides.

Regards and thanks,

Cnock

One quick extract from the London Gazette 6-3-1915

5th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment;

Major Archibald Campbell Stewart, from the Corps of Guides, to be Lieutenant-Colonel (temporary). Dated 7th March,1915.

EDIT:

Belay that!

London Gazette 23-3-1915

5th Battalion, The Royal Warwickshire Regiment;

the announcement of the appointment as Lieutenant-Colonel of Major Archibald C. Stewart, which appeared in the London Gazette of the 6th March, 1915, is cancelled, and the following substituted: —

Major Archibald C. Stewart, Indian Army, to be Lieutenant-Colonel (temporary).

Dated 7th March, 1915.

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

Later:

LG 8-3-1918

Queen Victoria's Own Corps of Guides (Frontier Force) (Lumsden's) (Cavalry).

Major J. E. B. Johnson to be Lieutenant-Colonel while commanding the Guides Cavalry in the vacancy caused by the departure of Lieutenant-Colonel A. H. Buist, M.V.O., on field service. Dated 24th February,

1917, to 3rd August, 1917, inclusive.

Major A. C. Stewart to be Lieutenant-Colonel while commanding the Guides Cavalry. Dated 19th August, 1917, vice Major J. E. B. Johnson, vacated, with effect from the 4th August, 1917.

Pre-War.

LG 4-10-1901

India Office, 4th October, 1901.

THE King has approved of the following Promotions among the Officers of the Staff Corps and Admissions to the Staff Corps made by the Government of India :—

Lieutenants to be Captains.

Dated 10th July, 1901.

Archibald Campbell Stewart.

LG 3-3-1903

Captain A. C. Stewart, Indian Army, relinquishes the appointment of Captain. Dated 14th May,1902.

LG 30-6-1903

PERSONAL STAFF.

Captain G. N. L. Labertouche, Indian Army, to be Aide-de-Camp to Major-General (now Lieutenant-General) D. J. S. McLeod, C.B., D.S.O., vice Captain A. C. Stewart, vacated, with effect from 26th March, 1903.

LG 22-3-1910

India Office,

March 22, 1910.

The KING has approved of the following promotions of officers of the Indian Army, Indian Medical Service, and Indian Subordinate Medical

Department:—

Dated 27th January, 1910.

Captains to be Majors.

Archibald Campbell Stewart, Queen's Own Corps of Guides (Lumsden's).

Post-War:

LG 30-9-1921

The KING has approved the retirement of the fallowing officers : —

INDIAN ARMY.

Lt.-Col. A. C. .Stewart, D.S.O. 1st Sept. 1921.

LG 7-10-1921

NOTES, I.A.—In Lon. Gaz. notfn., dated 15th Nov. 1918, regarding promotion to Lt.-Col. of Maj. A. C. Stewart, D.S.O., for " 27th Jan. 1918 " read " 19th Aug. 1917."

Steve.

Cnock

Archibald Campbell Stewart

(DSO LG 27th June 1919)

Lieutenant-Colonel, Corps of Guides, Indian Army (Mesopotamia)

“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during operations 24-30 October 1918 at Sherqat. By his personal influence and gallant and cheerful leadership all determined efforts on the part of the enemy to break the right centre of our line during 28 October and the night of 28-29 October 1918, were successfully repulsed. His regiment, encouraged by his fine example, displayed conspicuous endurance and staunchness throughout the operation.”

The Distinguished Service Order 1886-1923

Born Bangalore, 27th December 1872

Son of the late General Sir R. C. Stewart, K.C.B.

Educated Marlborough and RMC Sandhurst

Gazetted 52nd Oxford L.I. 27th January 1892

Transferred to Q.V.O. Corps of Guides, 21st March 1893

Captain 10th July 1901

Major 27th January 1910

Lt Col 27th January 1918

Lt-Colonel Commanding Q.V.O. Corps of Guides, Cavalry.

Served Burma 1892 (Medal and Clasp), Chitral Relief Force 1895 (Medal and Clasp), N. W. Frontier India 1897-8 (Clasp), S. African War (Queen’s Medal and 3 Clasps).

European War 1914-18, France, Gallipoli, Egypt, Palestine and Mesopotamia.

Despatches three times.

Ragards

Pam

Steve, Pam,

Thank You very much for You help. Much appreciated.

For Your information : Lt. Col. Archibald STEWART is buried in the communal cemetery of my home town Knokke (Belgian coast).

Regards,

Cnock.

Retired 1921, also served Iraq and NW Persia (medal and 2 clasps). Recreations: shooting, fishing and golf. Married 1908, 1 daughter.

Hello,

Now I know why he retired at Knokke, because of the splendid golf field.

Regards,

Cnock

• 11 years later...

I came across this thread trying to discover what my family connection to A F Stewart is. I recently acquired a few dozen very pleasant watercolours by AFStewart.  Mostly landscapes of India, often with a temple in the distance, there are also some coastal scenes - possibly the Channel Islands.

My grandfather was a frontier scout with QV corps of Guides and the pictures came to me after many decades in various trunks in his,and then my fathers attic. My grandfather was Lt Col L M Barlow, Dso, Mc, OBE. Perhaps the connection is simply that they served together. However if anybody knows of any Channel Island connections that the Stewart family had I would be grateful for information.  I am really enjoying the pictures and would like to learn about the life of their creator.

Hi AJB,

Not sure this helps, but if your grandfather was Lance Mount Barlow he was born at Cuttack, near Calcutta, in November 1899 and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant on the Indian Army Unattached List in April 1919.

Posted to the 5th Battalion, 12th Frontier Force Regiment (Queen Victoria’s Own Corps of Guides), he quickly witnessed active service in the Third Afghan War.

He was twice awarded the Military Cross, the first gazetted in the London Gazette 30 May 1924:

‘For distinguished service rendered in the Field in connection with military operations in Waziristan, January 1922 to April 1923.’

The bar to M.C. was announced in the London Gazette 2 December 1932:

‘For gallant and distinguished service in action with the Chitral relief column.’

In January 1933, Barlow was appointed Private Secretary to the Governor of the North-West Frontier Province, in which capacity he was awarded the Jubilee 1935 and Coronation 1937 Medals, in addition he was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the London Gazette 1 February 1937.

He retired a Lieutenant-Colonel in 1946 I believe.

I have found no reference to him having been awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO).

He had a brother I think, J. M. Barlow, who also served in the Indian Army and won the DSO and Military Cross, finishing a Lieut-Col I believe.

Regards,

Matthew

Edited by Matthew B.

• 10 months later...
On 31/12/2016 at 00:03, AJB said:

I came across this thread trying to discover what my family connection to A F Stewart is. I recently acquired a few dozen very pleasant watercolours by AFStewart.  Mostly landscapes of India, often with a temple in the distance, there are also some coastal scenes - possibly the Channel Islands.

My grandfather was a frontier scout with QV corps of Guides and the pictures came to me after many decades in various trunks in his,and then my fathers attic. My grandfather was Lt Col L M Barlow, Dso, Mc, OBE. Perhaps the connection is simply that they served together. However if anybody knows of any Channel Island connections that the Stewart family had I would be grateful for information.  I am really enjoying the pictures and would like to learn about the life of their creator.

Lt Col Barlow is buried in Thorpe Abbotts Grave Yard IP21 4HS. He lived in the Old Rectory also known as Thorpe Hall. I have today placed a poppy cross on his grave.

Edited by Guest