Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Absent Voters Lists

chrisharley9

Does any one know where I can view this document or if any one on the forum has a copy & is prepared to do look ups

All The Best

Chris

I believe it to be in the Shire Hall Lion Yard Cambridge;It was I understand kept in a Shoebox!

Thanks Rodger I'll have to have a look the next time i'm in Cambridge

All The Best

Chris

The card index in the shoebox that Roger mentions is the orginal cards returned by soldiers/relatives for a roll of serving men drawn up in 1915.

Shire Hall have AVL for the city of Cambridge and surrounding parishes, but not Isle of Ely. It's one I've been trying to find as well Chris.

I wonder if there might be one at the NR at Kew or some other national archive.

Cliff & Rodger

Below is the body of an email from the Norfolk Records if this is of any use.

"Downham Market and Outwell were in the south western electoral division during the Great War years, and unfortunately the only absent voters registers we hold are for King's Lynn for 1919. However, lists of absent voters can be seen at the British Library, St Pancras, 96 Euston Road, London, NW1 2DB. Tel: +44 (0)20 7412 7903 (Research Services). "

have just had a quick glance at one of the WW2 books on my bookshelf & in it the author alleges that most the Isle of Ely CC records were destroyed when the Greater Cambridgshire came into being

All The Best

Chris