Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification?

Guest Trisha54

Guest Trisha54

This picture was found amongst pics of my Grandparents who served in France in the Red Cross in WW1. Can anyone please identify this uniform as I am stumped.

Trisha

post-8323-1128866452.jpg

What a lovely photo. Hope they were still smiling at the end of the war.

Hi Susan. Just spotted your avatar: I work for The Blue Cross (successor to Our Dumb Friends' League); 'Goodbye old man' was donated to ODFL to raise funds for The Blue Cross Fund, which gave veterinary help to horses (and other animals) used by the French. The Blue Cross still owns the picture (and used to do posters of it). We have a few quite interestring pictures in the archive which (one day) I might get round to sorting through.

steve, I just love animals - all of them. Have a rescue English Bull Terrier - third of my rescue dogs. All lived long lives.. Spike is now nearly 14. Had him since he was 5.

I always think I am in trouble. When I started reading your reply I thought - oh gawd I have put something on here that I shouldn't have.............

Anyway,

I spotted this wonderful, truly heartbreaking picture during a tour of flanders - dropped into Talbot House (Poperinghe) where a print of this sketch hangs just by the front door. Fell in love with it.

Went mad when saw a print of it for sale at Town Hall museum exhibit (where executions apparently took place).

Just had to have it. but when i got it home it was in colour. not quite the same as I understand various versions have been done of it. but anyway, went onto site of artist (Matania) and found "the sphere" (original) drawing of it in black and white.

Now both (black and white in A4 size and the different angled colour (A3 size) both hang on my wall by my bed. Together with pics of my great grandad, grandad and a bugle with RGA insignia on it...... (my grandad was in the regiment and I think my gr grandad was in the RHA but that's another story)/////

What a drawing. It just about says it all of the poor defenceless creatures. So hard working -

You can almost imagine the poor young lad not wanting to leave his horse and the guns blazing behing them whilst they are in retreat. The pain (and fear on the horse) and the pain and sorrow on the lad's face - and the bridle he has had to take off......... it must have been awful.

They must have become really attached to them. My gr. grandad and grandad were both blacksmiths, so I am particularly fond of these beasts. I had a small welsh cob when I was much younger, but the love of them never leaves you.

I did read in one of my WW1 books a true story about a CO who had been called back, to attempt to get one of the horse artillery chaps away from his horse as it lay dying. Apparently, after managing to get the lad away he had sent him "for a nice rest for a week" because (the CO said) if everyone felt this way about animals the world would be a better place.

Thank you for sharing your work - what a wonderful job to do. Would love to see further prints etc. I know there are loads out there, but it is always nice when they are brought to your attention - more than when you go searching for them somehow.

I work in a doctors' - just helping people.

However, in the main I tend to prefer animals.

(I hope no-one takes offence!).

Susan.

ps - steve - can one make donations to this charity or covenants?

Just to share the picture with anyone.

post-8059-1128893097.jpeg

Simple - go to www.bluecross.org.uk and we'll take whatever you give us :D The Xmas catalogue is out now!!!!!!

Job Done, thanks Steve

Susan.