Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fragny Mill

paul guthrie

About four years ago I walked across the Somme to Curlu in the French sector. I have been trying to remember the name of the hamlet on the north or British side. Read Old Front Line last week, Masefield, and it sounds like he is describing this village. It is not mentioned in Gliddon's topo history of the Somme. Does anyone knowif this is right? Did I cross all by foot bridge? I remember first part was and think so but not sure. Thanks.

I believe you are thinking of the Moulin de Fargny, which is west of Curlu, and just north of the river Somme. It was fought over in the early stages of the Battle of the Somme; the mill was actually part of the front line before July 1916 if I remember correctly; there are stories of British soldiers fishing there when we first came to the Somme in mid-1915!

I think it was on the boundary between the French 39th and 11th Divisions on 1st July 1916.

Yes I am Paul, thanks. Somme is really pretty there. Lots of barking dogs and cane pole fishermen. Unlike usual empty Somme villages - at least I rarely have seen people out - there were a few fishing, gardening. It's worth a visit folks and you get into the French sector which is so ignored.