Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.A.C regimental numbers

wilkokcl

I know this a common topic but hope someone can interpret 2 numbers for me from MICs. I'm researching 2 brothers who both enrolled as Privates in the HAC in 1914 and entered France in early 1915. Their regimental numbers are:

Can I read anything into that? When did they sign up? Where did they sign up? Do I assume 1205 enlisted before 2469? Would they have trained together? Would they have gone to France together?

Anything you can interpret from that would be much appreciated as thicko here can't work out if this tells me anything or not.

Mark.

Hello

Do you have copies of the MIC -if you get the medal index cards then if they went to France before 1916 they will 99% tell you the date of embarkation. if they are the same day then would guess they went on the same boat

Ian

Ian,

According to their MICs, one entered France on 23 Jan 1915 and the other on 24 Jan 1915. That's got me wondering whether they signed up together and saw action together, maybe just catching a different ship over there. Or could they have been in completely different training and places in France and never met up?

Thanks,

Mark.

I suspect the dates are in fact really the same,however one was entered as date left UK the other when arrived in France,a common occurence,as they are but a Day{possibly just an Hour} apart?;Ideally the actual medal roll may provide a clue if it tells you the battalion if HAC Infantry or Battery if Artillery,,Index Cards indicates Discharge to Commission to another unit for 1205 to 2nd Dragoon Guards as 2nd Lieutenant,but this no doubt post embarkation.[2469 Later Commd into HAC]

From their numbers,it suggests that 1205 was a Member of the HAC well in advance prewar {Circa 1912/13?},probably the older Brother,the other Lad joining in the early months of 1914,to get a number in the 2400 range,The HAC published an excellent history with Nominal rolls;well worth checking out,I believe it was reprinted in the not too distant past!Ask @ your Local library.

Ideally the actual medal roll may provide a clue if it tells you the battalion if HAC Infantry or Battery if Artillery

Private 2469 is recorded as entering France with "H.A.C 1st Battalion". Does that mean anything to anybody? Not sure on his brother though.

Thanks, Mark.

Mark,

He's gone across with the infantry battalion of the H.A.C., which ended up serving with 8th Bde/3rd Div from 10/11/1914 and a month later was with 7th Bde/3rd Div.

On 14/10/1915 it was posted to G.H.Q. Troops. In July 1916 it went to 190th Bde/63rd Div and returned to G.H.Q. Troops in June 1917. It then went to 4th Guards Bde in Sept 1918 and a final spell with G.H.Q. Troops in Oct 1918.

Graham.

Private 2469 is recorded as entering France with "H.A.C 1st Battalion".  Does that mean anything to anybody?  Not sure on his brother though.

Yes a stated above he joined the 1st Bn{An Infantry Battalion of the HAC[Which is a "Peculiar Regiment" to put it mildly,as it does things differently to the rest of the Army!]}I expect his Brother too was in the same Bn,from their embarkation dates,as the 2nd Bn didnt go to France until 1916 & there is no indication that until Commissioned there is any Transfer of Unit,I suspect they were in a Draft of re~inforcements to the 1st Bn,from the UK.

If you search the London Gazette Online,you should be able to locate their Commission dates etc;Commission Details To Be Located Here

A quick look throws up 11 mentions for the WW1 era,3 of which relate to your two men,1917 & 18,other LG mentions relate to the DSO,MC & commissioning of another similarly named man & another in the RM/RNAS/RFC.[searched using Surname,Only,it may be prudent to search using a spelling variation too?]

The HAC published an excellent history with Nominal rolls;well worth checking out

But only if they died or recieved honours or awards during the war. The book doesn't contain a "general" roll.

What are their names? I've got the book and will look them up if you wish.

Dave.