Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JW Mackie & C W Hood

treetop

Just joined the WFA and interested in pointers to research my GF (Hood) and uncle (Mackie). CW Hood was sent to France in Dec 1914 with the ASC as part of a remount unit and died 17/4/1916.Family say he was blown up pulling a gun carriage by incoming shell. JW Mackie was my father's stepbrother who died in Arras early Jan 1917 as sgnt involved in a trench raid with 2nd B of DLI. Been to France and interested to find out more,any ideas thanks in advance?

Hello

Welcome to the forum

mackie if you didnt know was from Sunderland and is recorded with the 10th btn - assuming your is number 9418

Hood also from Sunderland ts/5031 army service corps - rank Strapper (horse related?)

check out this web site to try and find details - I did have a look up the site is having some problems at the mo.. :(

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...y=*&queryType=1

Regards Ian

Thanks Ian, I erred with Mackie who was in 10th B of DLI.

Interested to know what a strapper was in the ASC. Family history says he was pulling a gun carriage when an incoming shell hit him and he is buried near Calais. I am interested to know where he may have been when killed and how the ASC was linked to which parts of the front.

JW Mackie appears to have been a NCO involved in raiding at Arras before the bigger battles commenced later in 1917.

I have just got forms to join WFA and hope to contribute when opportunity permits,

Probably stuff you have already but it will help everybody identify the right men:

Medal Cards:

Medal card of MacKie, John W

Corps Regiment No Rank

Durham Light Infantry 9418 Private

Durham Light Infantry 9418 Serjeant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

Medal card of Hood, Charles W

Corps Regiment No Rank

Army Service Corps TS/5031 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

CWGC:

Name: MACKIE

Initials: J W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Durham Light Infantry

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 13/01/1917

Service No: 9418

Additional information: Son of Mr. J. and Mrs. M. A. Leary Mackie.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 2.

Cemetery: WANQUETIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Cemetery: WANQUETIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Locality: Pas de Calais

Location Information: Wanquetin is a village approximately 12 kilometres west of Arras and approximately 6 kilometres north of Beaumetz. Wanquetin Communal Cemetery Extension lies to the north-east of the village on the road to Warlus (D.59).

Historical Information: A few burials were made in the communal cemetery from March to November 1916, but in October 1916, the 41st Casualty Clearing Station came to the village, and by the end of November it had become necessary to begin the extension. The last graves made in the cemetery were those in Plot II, Row E, where 23 men of the 3rd Canadian Machine Gun Battalion, killed on 24 September 1918 in a German daylight air raid over Warlus, are buried. The communal cemetery contains eight Commonwealth burials of the First World War, the extension 222. The extension also contains nine Second World War burials from May 1940. The extension was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.

No. of Identified Casualties: 231

Name: HOOD

Initials: C W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 30th Remount Depot

Date of Death: 17/04/1916

Service No: TS/5031

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot C. Row 2. Grave 18.

Cemetery: CALAIS SOUTHERN CEMETERY

Cemetery: CALAIS SOUTHERN CEMETERY

Locality: Pas de Calais

Location Information: Calais Southern Cemetery is a civil cemetery lying on the south of the old main road to Dunkerque. Follow the A16 autoroute from Calais to Dunkirk. Come off at Junction 19 in the direction of Marck and follow the road to the junction. Turn left into Calais at the junction and follow the road (D940) for approximately 3 kilometres. The Communal Cemetery is on the left hand side of the road, 50 metres after the traffic lights. To find the Commonwealth War Graves, proceed along the main pathway to the rear left hand side of the Cemetery.

Historical Information: In April 1915, No 6 Base Supply Depot was started at Calais to help relieve the pressure on Boulogne and to provide a base nearer to the front than Le Havre or Rouen. The base remained open until the last Commonwealth forces left France in March 1921. The 30th, 35th and 38th General Hospitals, No 9 British Red Cross Hospital and No 10 Canadian Stationary Hospital were also stationed in the town, providing about 2,500 beds. From May 1915 to March 1918, Commonwealth burials were made in Calais Southern Cemetery. Subsequent interments were made in the new military cemetery at Les Baraques. The cemetery now contains 721 First World War burials. There are also 224 burials of the Second World War, 56 of them unidentified, the majority dating from May 1940. The Commonwealth plot was designed by Sir Herbert Baker.

Steve.

Number 41 Casualty Clearing Station was the only one at Wanquetin so it is likely that John MacKie died there from his injuries.

Charles Hood would like have been at one of the General Hospitals, there but you would need to see if his Service Records survived WW2 and are at the NA (30% chance) to narrow it down.

You seem to have a fair amount of detail about their deaths. Have you looked at the War Diaries for the DLI, at least?

Steve.

[Number 41 Casualty Clearing Station was the only one at Wanquetin so it is likely that John MacKie died there from his injuries.

I DIDNT KNOW THAT STEVE,THANKS. I HAVE LOOKED AT THE DLI DIARIES AND HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF DETAIL ABOUT HIM ( MY FATHER'S STEP-BROTHER AS IT HAPPENS).

Charles Hood would like have been at one of the General Hospitals, there but you would need to see if his Service Records survived WW2 and are at the NA (30% chance) to narrow it down. NEVER BEEN AWARE OF HOW TO ACCESS THIS INFORMATION SO THANKS AGAIN BUT WONDERED IF RASC WERE ATTACHED TO INDIVIDUAL BATTALIONS AND IF THE INFO LAY THERE OR WOOLWICH.

You seem to have a fair amount of detail about their deaths. Have you looked at the War Diaries for the DLI, at least?YES,THANKS, HOWEVER.

KEVIN