Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

On 9/6/2017 at 03:35, FiferLou said:

If you know of any in Fife area of Scotland then happy to try and help

Being in the south west of England I am not that familiar with Fife and it's surrounds. Nothing for Fifeshire on my list above so unless there are any in nearby counties then I have none there at present. Thank you for the offer, though, Jim

Thank you, Peter. I have come late to the casualties of the bombing and bombardment of civilians in the UK so many more to get. I have neither of the women that you have mentioned until now. Interesting to find your Mrs E. Scott being killed from bombardment off Scarborough in 1917. Coincidentally, a Mrs Ellen Scott was killed in 1914 from bombardment. Guess where?  Scarborough.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim

You made a request for a photograph of the name L.A.E. Palmer, VAD. You indicated that this was on a memorial board in Edinburgh Library.

Doing my homework (as usual), you will recall I sent you this link: http://womenofscotland.org.uk/memorials/world-war-one-nursing-memorial

There is a photograph there of the memorial board. On closer inspection, I think the name you are after is A.E. Palmieri .

Here's the photo: http://womenofscotland.org.uk/sites/default/files/2015/11/p10308261024.jpg

The name is third column from the right, about two thirds of the way down.

Can you clarify? As usual, If you still require this, I'll make a trip at some point.

Regards

Kenny

53 minutes ago, Kenny.bell said:

Hello Jim

You made a request for a photograph of the name L.A.E. Palmer, VAD. You indicated that this was on a memorial board in Edinburgh Library.

Doing my homework (as usual), you will recall I sent you this link: http://womenofscotland.org.uk/memorials/world-war-one-nursing-memorial

There is a photograph there of the memorial board. On closer inspection, I think the name you are after is A.E. Palmieri .

Here's the photo: http://womenofscotland.org.uk/sites/default/files/2015/11/p10308261024.jpg

The name is third column from the right, about two thirds of the way down.

Can you clarify? As usual, If you still require this, I'll make a trip at some point.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Kenny,

You are up to speed as usual. Actually what I need are a quantity of photographs showing say 15/20 names at a time covering the whole of the board. Whilst the whole board in one snap is ok for a general view when placed in a book the names will not be readable. One general shot plus lots of smaller photos covering the names is needed. The website that you quote is good and has a nice photograph BUT I do not own the copyright and cannot just lift it off the Web. Whereas if you can get them the copyright will be yours but I will have your permission to use them. I hope that the honour board is not too elevated for decent, level photographs and, as always, I appreciate the help that you have, and continue to provide, to my project.  Jim

23 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Hello Kenny,

You are up to speed as usual. Actually what I need are a quantity of photographs showing say 15/20 names at a time covering the whole of the board. Whilst the whole board in one snap is ok for a general view when placed in a book the names will not be readable. One general shot plus lots of smaller photos covering the names is needed. The website that you quote is good and has a nice photograph BUT I do not own the copyright and cannot just lift it off the Web. Whereas if you can get them the copyright will be yours but I will have your permission to use them. I hope that the honour board is not too elevated for decent, level photographs and, as always, I appreciate the help that you have, and continue to provide, to my project.  Jim

OK Jim, I'm on it.

Kenny

Hi Jim, I found Nellie Brannigan for you. Mary in Strabane will have to wait as time ran away. Hope the pics are what you can use. Best wishes, Bob.

Photo0383.jpg.ed8b72586d1fda63457b8aecca4763e2.jpg

Photo0377.jpg.c23ba3d2387930f913325548eb8ab31d.jpg

Photo0378.jpg.b8b9fd4a6e062d4afce1af7628cbe1a7.jpg

Photo0379.jpg.2df0f78d34ab78648ec9faf2479478fa.jpg

Photo0380.jpg.163c3d61c4995a01d6b96f6e8c08d604.jpg

Photo0381.jpg.027ae32658ad02df497cf0584f9a20bd.jpg

Photo0382.thumb.jpg.f3ccf4d02b805d3aef5dcf5d0e530953.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim

Email sent to you re your Edinburgh Central Library requirements. There should be photographs of the memorial board attached. 

Regards 

Kenny

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:46, Jim Strawbridge said:

Thank you, Peter. I have come late to the casualties of the bombing and bombardment of civilians in the UK so many more to get. I have neither of the women that you have mentioned until now. Interesting to find your Mrs E. Scott being killed from bombardment off Scarborough in 1917. Coincidentally, a Mrs Ellen Scott was killed in 1914 from bombardment. Guess where?  Scarborough.

Hi Jim,

Came across another woman casualty by chance while trying to find someone else in the British Newspaper Archive. Hopefully you already are aware of her.

Northern Daily Mail dated Saturday, January 19. 1918.

News in brief.

"While going to work on munitions yesterday morning, Mrs Lily Cherry, wife of a soldier in France, was cut to pieces on the railway near Newcastle."

The death of a Lily Cherry, aged 37, was recorded in the Tynemouth District of Northumberland in Q1 of 1918. There is no obvious civil probate. I couldn't find a likely match on the 1911 census, (there is a 29 year old living at Gateshead but she is single) nor could I find a likely match for a wedding between 1911 and 1918.

My trawl through the Norfolk newspapers for September 1917 brought up some more air raid victims from agency reports.

Eastern Daily Press Friday September 7, 1917

THE LONDON RAID...................................................................................

INQUEST ON VICTIMS.

HEROIC DRIVER.

Inquests on six victims of Tuesday night’s air raid were held by a Coroner in a London district yesterday. Their names were: Amy Eleanor Cuthbert (28), Alfred Buckle (32), Richard Daniel McLoughlin (44), Eileen Dunleary (64), Albert Henry Bond (20), and Bartle Gibson Lumley (27). The last two were Canadian soldiers on leave.

In opening the inquiry the Coroner said he was informed three deaths were caused by one bomb, and the others by a second bomb. Evidence of identification was then given.

A police inspector said the first warning was received at eleven o’clock. Twenty-five minutes later a further take cover message was received. At about 11.55 enemy aeroplanes passed over the neighbourhood, and in their couse dropped four explosive bombs. No aircraft were seen. The first bomb fell in the centre of a street outside the main entrance of a hospital. Immediately afterwards other bombs fell in quick succession. The two soldiers and the woman Dunleary were in the front room on the ground floor of an hotel. They were taken to the hospital, but were dead when seen by a doctor. The other three persons killed were travelling in a public vehicle, which was practically wrecked by a bomb, although it continued its course. Buckle, the driver, had one of his legs practically blown off. It was broken in two places, but he succeeded in pulling up the vehicle. One of the occupants, McLoughlin, had a wound in the left side of the head, and Miss Cuthbert had part of her head blown off.

Dr. Cameron, of the hospital, said death was due to shock by high explosive from hostile aircraft.

A verdict accordingly was returned in case of all victims. Sympathy was expressed with the family of Buckle, who had stood at his post to the last.

In another London district, an inquest was held on Miss Rose Sophia Hannell, aged 64, who died from haemorrhage as the result of injuries she received in the air raid.

Evidence was given that a bomb exploded in the back garden, and that deceased was struck by a piece of glass or other missile as she came out of her bedroom.

Medical evidence was given that death was due to haemorrhage, and that it must have been instantaneous. The doctor said he thought some suggestions ought to be made by which warnings could be given earlier. Everybody should keep away from windows as far as possible.

A verdict in accordance with the evidence was returned.

Eastern Daily Press Saturday September 8, 1917

THE LONDON AIR RAID………………………………….

INQUEST STORY OF A YELLOW POWDER.

An inquest on four victims of Tuesday night’s raid in London, all of whom lived in the same road, was held yesterday. They were Gunner W.J.A. Calow 24, Mary Jane Allen, (45), her daughter Elsie Amelia Allen (5), and Thirza Darwood, middle-aged.

The Coroner said deceased had been killed by the diabolical act of Germans in bombing a peaceful place. They were not fortified, and innocent victims had suffered.

Mrs. Calow, mother of Gunner Calow, said he had been at home for a few days on sick leave. Both of them on the night of the raid went down into the passage, the door of which was open. Presently there was an explosion, and her son said, “That is an aerial torpedo.” Then they saw a flash. Her son turned to her, pushed her inside, and then fell on his face. The deceased soldier’s sweetheart, who lodged in the same house, was also knocked down, but was not struck.

A constable said the soldier was seriously wounded, and died with a few minutes.

William Henry Thompson, who lived near the Allens, stated there was a tremendous explosion in the road. Dense volumes of smoke came from the road and he heard terrifying screams. He went to the Allens’ house and found Mr. Allen crouching in the passage, with one foot partially blown away. The little girl was lying on her face in a pool of blood, and her mother was lying a little further in the passage. She was dead, and the child died almost immediately. Another woman in the house was severely injured.

Evidence was given that Mrs. Darwood was picked up on the doorstep of her house in an unconscious state and died on Thursday morning. A young man standing near her on a doorstep was injured. It was stated sixteen houses in the street were damaged, though only slightly. Of the twelve persons killed or injured. All except three were standing near open doors.

The jury, who were advised by the Coroner not to return a criminal verdict, found the four deaths were caused by the explosion of a bomb dropped by an enemy airman.

Another Coroner held inquests on two victims of the raid, Mary Hayes, (66), a cook, and a man, a violinist, aged 33.

Evidence was given that the body of the woman was found in a mass of debris at the back of a house struck by a bomb. Deceased and two other servants were in the house at the time, the family being away. She was in her nightgown, and was probably in bed when the bomb dropped.

A doctor said her face was discoloured with a yellow powder, a most unusual thing. Death was due to shock following the injuries, and he believed she died in her sleep. It was the debris and not the bomb which struck her.

The jury returned a verdict that the woman died from injuries caused by or through the explosion of a bomb dropped by hostile aircraft.

A portion of the bomb was produced, and a police witness said it was covered with yellow powder believed to be T.N.T., as was also the body of deceased.

In the case of the man, the widow stated he told her he must have been blown ten yards. The death occurred that morning, and the Corponer said it was the result of the explosion of a time fuse. A similar verdict to that in the other case was returned.

Eastern Daily Press Wednesday September 12, 1917

VICTIM OF AIR RAID……………………………….

DANGERS OF GOING TO THE DOOR.

At an inquest on a further victim of last week’s raid, Maria Sarah Verity, aged 46, held in a London district yesterday, the jury found she died from injuries received from enemy aircraft.

A widow, who lived in the same house stated that on hearing the firing of guns she and Mrs. Verity got up and went to the street door. While standing there Mrs. Verity called out, “I am hit.” Those who remained in bed were safe.

Dr. Elizabeth Ethel Jenkins stated Mrs. Verity had sustained injuries to abdomen and left ankle. Death was due to septic poisoning, and general peritonitis following the internal injury.

A sub-divisonal inspector said three pieces of an enemy bomb were found, two in a picture in one house and a shell of a bomb in a roadway. Witness stated that the majority of persons killed and injured were standing at open doorways.

The Coroner remarked this clearly proved the advisability of people  remaining indoors with doors closed.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Jim, I tried to get you your grave in Quetta, unfortunately not possible. Earthquakes and neglect gave erased such places.

Roop

Hi, I would be keen to here if there was any further progress on the research into Dorothy Crowther, killed in the munitions factory in Acton in 1918. I have stumbled across this thread and seen the hunt for her grave and the mention of a possible photo of her funeral. Dorothy was my great grandfather's sister and I believe my own nan, Dorothy, was named after her. I have details of the family that I can share if it helps but I would also be very interested in this research.

Edited by NikkiP82
Additional content

On 10/7/2017 at 10:53, Kenny.bell said:

Hello Jim

Email sent to you re your Edinburgh Central Library requirements. There should be photographs of the memorial board attached. 

Regards 

Kenny

Thank you, Kenny. Safely received and stored. Please thank your daughter for me, Jim

On 10/7/2017 at 13:01, KONDOA said:

Jim, I tried to get you your grave in Quetta, unfortunately not possible. Earthquakes and neglect gave erased such places.

Roop

Roop, Thank you for trying, Much appreciated, Regards, Jim

On 10/8/2017 at 00:02, NikkiP82 said:

Hi, I would be keen to here if there was any further progress on the research into Dorothy Crowther, killed in the munitions factory in Acton in 1918. I have stumbled across this thread and seen the hunt for her grave and the mention of a possible photo of her funeral. Dorothy was my great grandfather's sister and I believe my own nan, Dorothy, was named after her. I have details of the family that I can share if it helps but I would also be very interested in this research.

Nikki, Dorothy Crowther is buried in Willesden New Cemetery. There is a pastel drawing of her funeral in the Imperial War Museum. Also they hold a photograph of her. We would normally be able to converse through the messaging service here on the Great War Forum but if memory serves me right you have to have posted at least five entries before the system will allow you access.

On 10/10/2017 at 21:42, voltaire60 said:

JS- Have you got Frances Mary Bates? And pic?

I have photographs of her grave and of her. Thank you for asking.

Thanks Jim, yes I stumbled across the photo of her on the Imperial War Museum website following finding this forum. Ridiculously I had never thought to search for her as Dolly, even though that is the same nickname my Nan had! She is very recognisable to some other photos I have of that family. 

14 hours ago, NikkiP82 said:

Thanks Jim, yes I stumbled across the photo of her on the Imperial War Museum website following finding this forum. Ridiculously I had never thought to search for her as Dolly, even though that is the same nickname my Nan had! She is very recognisable to some other photos I have of that family. 

Interesting that the firm's fire brigade and engine took part in the funeral procession. A nice touch.

On 04/09/2006 at 11:11, ypres1418 said:

Jim, do you have A.L Piggott WRAF died 9th November 1918? She is buried in Beddingham church yard, i have a photo (from a friend) but it is only half the grave, if you haven't got it already i can go and do the photo again this week for you,

Of course you might have it already from Terry Denham cos i know he has all the sussex graves covered.

Mandy

On 04/09/2006 at 15:05, Jim Strawbridge said:

Terry

High res. picture safely received with thanks.

Mandy

I have the one for Annie Piggott but appreciate your offering. Out of interest she was a sailmaker in the QMAAC. She transferred across to the WRAF when it was formed. No doubt her skills were needed to help make the old "stringbags".

Jim,

I was in Beddingham Churchyard today. Back to my roots and a change from SE London cemeteries. I noticed that Annie Piggott's headstone has very recently been refurbished, or replaced (I don't know what the original looked like). I note from the CWGC documents that the date of death is different.

If you want a high-res of the headstone, let me know.

Phil

P1200902.JPG

Edited by Phil Evans

Phil, The headstone originally had a date of death of 2nd November 1918 when it should have been 9th November 1918. I have photographs of the original but would love to have a high res of this one.

Jim,

As you can see, it has now been changed to the 20th November 1918. Which one is right?

I will send you the high-res of this one later this evening.

Phil

P1200900.JPG

Jim I see you have been engaged in this project since 2003 (probably earlier).   My grandfather's sister Violet Moberly was a VAD who died in Oxford in the flu epidemic just 2 days before the end of WW1.  She worked in the convalescent hospital at Merton College, Oxford.  She is buried in the churchyard of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford (not a CWGC headstone - would she have been entitled to one?).    Is she of interest to your project?   I have a photo if relevant.   Andrew Moberly