Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

1 hour ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Thank you. Just an amber light with Augusta Wilder. Her daughter was also a VAD and was named Augusta Helen Mary Wilder. She might appear in your meanderings although not a wartime one.

There are three Augusta Wilders buried there - but I can't remember when. I will check when I get home.

1 hour ago, Phil Wood said:

There are three Augusta Wilders buried there - but I can't remember when. I will check when I get home.

Okay - I checked - the other two both died in 1892, Augusta aged 54 and Augusta Dorothea aged 56 - plus a fourth, Augusta died 1836 aged 37. A lot of Augustas!

Helen Augusta Mary was buried there (ashes) in 1980, aged 85 - just a little too old to be the daughter. There are a lot of Wilder burials, some coming from a fair distance.

1 hour ago, Phil Wood said:

Okay - I checked - the other two both died in 1892, Augusta aged 54 and Augusta Dorothea aged 56 - plus a fourth, Augusta died 1836 aged 37. A lot of Augustas!

Helen Augusta Mary was buried there (ashes) in 1980, aged 85 - just a little too old to be the daughter. There are a lot of Wilder burials, some coming from a fair distance.

In post 1800# you mentioned my Augusta Mary Wilder was buried in St. Nicholas' churchyard. Not a little too old for HAMW to be her daughter. AMW was born 1862. HAMW was born 1895. So AMW would be aged 33 when HAMW born. However she is not the daughter as both were single but I suspect HAMW was the daughter of AMWs brother, Rev. Henry Charles Wilder which would make sense as the VAD card shows HAMW as a VAD chaufeuse and her home at Sulham Rectory. So aunt and niece. I could research it but time is too short and does it really matter? Not to me.

4 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

In post 1800# you mentioned my Augusta Mary Wilder was buried in St. Nicholas' churchyard. Not a little too old for HAMW to be her daughter. AMW was born 1862. HAMW was born 1895. So AMW would be aged 33 when HAMW born. However she is not the daughter as both were single but I suspect HAMW was the daughter of AMWs brother, Rev. Henry Charles Wilder which would make sense as the VAD card shows HAMW as a VAD chaufeuse and her home at Sulham Rectory. So aunt and niece. I could research it but time is too short and does it really matter? Not to me.

Whoops!  I was looking at Winifred Burtenshaw's age, not Augusta Wilder's.

11 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Actually the daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Anne Stone but thank you for the information.

Jim

Sorry, I can't reconcile that information with my research . Dob from Papermill records , Inquest information and all other official original records point to her mothers maiden name being Roe and registration district being Stone. Could you expand via email please?

Edited by Radlad

11 hours ago, Radlad said:

Jim

Sorry, I can't reconcile that information with my research . Dob from Papermill records , Inquest information and all other official original records point to her mothers maiden name being Roe and registration district being Stone. Could you expand via email please?

** your note **

The inquest report states that identification was carried out by her landlady at 10 back Stanley Street with whom she had lodged for 12 months. Evidence was given that Annie came from Staffordshire and that both her parents were dead. I think she was born in Stone in 1892 to Richard and Elizabeth Anne (nee. Roe) Farmer.( married 1891). Her Brother, George, appears to have died in infancy, making her an only child and her mother died aged 30 in 1897.  Annie is on the 1911 census as living in Stoke on Trent as a general servant to a club steward and his wife.  I will do no further work on this line, possibly others can help?

I was merely trying to say that her father was called Robert and not Richard. My information comes from several sources. I have no problem with the other information that you have kindly provided.

Three family trees on Ancestry all show as Robert.

From BMD:-

Marriages Jun 1891   (>99%)
Farmer  Robert    Stafford  6b 23  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Green  Charles William    Stafford  6b 23  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Rock  Annie    Stafford  6b 23  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Roe  Elizabeth Ann    Stafford  6b 23

btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

1 hour ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

** your note **

The inquest report states that identification was carried out by her landlady at 10 back Stanley Street with whom she had lodged for 12 months. Evidence was given that Annie came from Staffordshire and that both her parents were dead. I think she was born in Stone in 1892 to Richard and Elizabeth Anne (nee. Roe) Farmer.( married 1891). Her Brother, George, appears to have died in infancy, making her an only child and her mother died aged 30 in 1897.  Annie is on the 1911 census as living in Stoke on Trent as a general servant to a club steward and his wife.  I will do no further work on this line, possibly others can help?

I was merely trying to say that her father was called Robert and not Richard. My information comes from several sources. I have no problem with the other information that you have kindly provided.

Three family trees on Ancestry all show as Robert.

From BMD:-

Marriages Jun 1891   (>99%)
Farmer  Robert    Stafford  6b 23  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Green  Charles William    Stafford  6b 23  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Rock  Annie    Stafford  6b 23  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Roe  Elizabeth Ann    Stafford  6b 23

btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

My apologies, I have indeed typed Richard instead of Robert. It was the remark that she was the child of Robert and Elizebeth Anne Stone that confused me. That name Stone does not appear in any of my research apart from being the registration district where Annie was born

Annie started work at the ELPM on the 1st March 1916 and was paid 10-1/2d per hour. Her details from the original work books held in archives gives her DOB as 24/4/1992. That date and the inquest evidence that she was from Staffordshire, gave me a starting point.

20 hours ago, Radlad said:

Annie started work at the ELPM on the 1st March 1916 and was paid 10-1/2d per hour. Her details from the original work books held in archives gives her DOB as 24/4/1992. That date and the inquest evidence that she was from Staffordshire, gave me a starting point.

My apologies, too. My post 1798# erroneously gave the surname as Stone and not Farmer. None of us are perfect. A century out on her DOB, by the way, but thank you for providing it..

Hi Jim,

On the list of VADs you gave to me there is a Lilian Sillivan buried Hale Cemetery Altrincham. I have just contacted Trafford bereavement services and they can't find a Lilian in their records for Hale Cemetery, they did find a George Sillivan buried 1918 and a James buried in 1893 who could be relatives, but as I said no Lilian.

On 8/17/2017 at 11:35, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Jim,

On the list of VADs you gave to me there is a Lilian Sillivan buried Hale Cemetery Altrincham. I have just contacted Trafford bereavement services and they can't find a Lilian in their records for Hale Cemetery, they did find a George Sillivan buried 1918 and a James buried in 1893 who could be relatives, but as I said no Lilian.

Another of my many mistakes !   The name is actually Lilian Sillavan. I wish I could find the source document that showed her as interred in Hale Cemetery. I didn't make it up. We will have to leave it, I suppose. Thank you for trying to find her.

OK Jim,

the lady at Trafford bereavement servcies I think said that one of either George or James was spelled Sillavan, but there was definitely no Lilian, soorry. Let me know if you find your original source.

22 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

OK Jim,

the lady at Trafford bereavement servcies I think said that one of either George or James was spelled Sillavan, but there was definitely no Lilian, soorry. Let me know if you find your original source.

A James Sillavan was her father so likely him. Quite possible that they were buried in the same grave. I actually know the date that Lilian Sillavan was buried (2nd November 1918) so I wonder if another look by the lady under the date rather than the name might produce something.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 18:00, PRC said:

28570884936_c23fed8f0c.jpgMildred LEEPER, VAD, died April 1916 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

(I don't have image rights to the original picture but as its over 100 years old I'm not sure if that's an issue)

The plaque reads

In loving memory of

MILDRED LEEPER

Aged 27 years

Youngest child of the Rector of

This Parish, who died on Active Service

In Ipswich Hospital on April 28th 1916

This tablet is erected by members of Eye

V.A.D, Suffolk/8 and by the Nursing Staff

Of Ipswich Hospital.

MAY SHE REST IN PEACE

28319027160_c252814e2e.jpgMildred LEEPER, VAD, died April 1916 Memorial Plaque by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

Jim,

While trying to track down another Leeper from Suffolk, a possible non-commemoration, I turned up a couple of press pieces on Mildred Leeper from the British Newspaper Archive.

One of them does add a little bit more to the story.

Diss Express – Friday 5th May 1916.

FUNERAL OF MISS MILDRED LEEPER. – Deep sympathy is felt with the Rev. W.C. and Mrs. Leeper, in the great loss they have sustained by the death of their youngest daughter, Miss Mildred Leeper, which took place from blood poisoning at the Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital, where she had been acting as a Red Cross nurse since the beginning of the year. The deceased was an enthusiastic Red Cross worker, and had been associated with the Suffolk/8 V.A.D. since its formation; she was one of the earliest to volunteer for general service, and had been employed at Henham Hall prior to being sent to Ipswich. The funeral took place at Mellis on Wednesday. The cortege was preceded by members of the Suffolk/8.V.A.D., under the Commandant (the Hon. Rosamund Hanbury), and the Quartermaster (Miss Woodward)

(one of the floral tributes included) a cross as “A token of affectionate remembrance from her wounded patients in Ripley Ward, Ipswich Hospital,”, also one from the wounded soldiers in Pattison Ward as well as ones from the Nursing Staff in those two wards. The rest of the article is a very long listing of all those who attended and an equally long list of those who sent flowers.

The other mention is in the Yarmouth Independent of Saturday 13 May 1916 - the Reverend Leeper had been rector at Belton, near Yarmouth prior to moving to Mellis. It is limited to mentioning the funeral and that as well as the immediate family a very large number of the general public also attended.

regards,

Peter

Jim,

Just called Trafford Bereavement Services again to get the grave ref for James Sillavan and spoke to a different person who said they couldn't find James but they found a Lilian Sillavan and an Edith Sillavan in the next grave. He then said there is a James Sillivan but in Sale cemetery. Any way I have the reference numbers now so photos will be on the way soon.

Do you need any grave pictures from East or North Cumbria? Just reply I will try to help

Richard

18 hours ago, rickpreston@nasuwt.net said:

Do you need any grave pictures from East or North Cumbria? Just reply I will try to help

Richard

Richard, Thank you for putting your head over the parapet. I am not geographical minded so below is my only known Cumbria/Cumberland need and you can decide if it is reachable.

PENRITH - Charlotte Anna Hume LITTLE, VAD, died 10th May 1919, aged 51. She is buried in Penrith cemetery. (sorry, no plot number)

The following are almost certainly buried in Cumbria but I have not yet discovered where (work in progress).

Constance Lilian Louisa HIGHTON, VAD, died 1918 in London. Body may have been returned to family in Keswick for local burial.

Isabella HOPE, VAD, died 1916. On Wigton War Memorial (I have photograph) and from Wigton and Burnfoot areas.

Hannah WILSON, VAD, died 19th November 1918. Ulverston or Broughton-in-Furness areas.

An update of my photograph requirements

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Holyhead, Maeshyfryd
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Sulham St. Nicholas, Wokingham

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive, Wycombe

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, Llandre, Penmorfa

CARNARVON, Portmadoc

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Handbridge, Sale

CLWYD, Gwersyllt

DENBIGHSHIRE, Colwyn Bay, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Taxal, Winster
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DORSETSHIRE, Holt

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire), Pelton

ESSEX, East Ham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandaff, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, , Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Badgeworth, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Charlton Kings, Oldbury on Severn

GRAMPIAN, Blairdaff

GWENT, Ebww Vale

GWYNEDD, Bangor, Boduan, Llanbedrog, New Quay, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Alverstoke, Curdridge, Portsmouth, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial and Old Cemetery)

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Killadeas), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Dunboe, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane)

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Crayford, Eltham, Folkestone, Gillingham, Margate, Rochester, Swanscombe, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Blackburn, Bolton, Chadderton, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Eccles, Healey, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury, Sale, Tyldesley, Walkden, Wigan

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Whaplode Drove, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon, Tredegar

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE - Welshpool

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Nottingham
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford

PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane

POWYS, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradley, Brindley Ford, Chasetown, Lichfield, Newchapel, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Ipswich
SURREY, Betchworth, Bramley, Brookwood, Chessington, Chiddingfold, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-the-Hill, Witley
SUSSEX, Arlington, Horsham
WARWICKSHIRE, Smethwick
WILTSHIRE, Barford St. Martin, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Barnsley, Burley in Wharfdale, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Horsforth, Kippax, Kirkburton, Low Moor, Redcar, Scarborough, Sheffield, Skipton, South Anston, Staithes, Wakefield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Edmonton), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Fox River, +12), Ontario (Brantford, London, Paris), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), West Virginia (Clarksburg), Wisconsin (Superior)

ON - Berkshire (Wokingham 7/17), Cardiganshire (Penmorfa 9/17), Carnarvon (Portmadoc 8/17), Derbyshire (Winster 9/17), Gloucestershire (Charlton Kings 7/17), Huntingdonshire (Brampton 9/17), Ireland (North) (Co. Fermanagh, Killadeas 7/17), Kent (Rochester 9/17), Lancashire (Healey), Staffordshire (Walton-on-the-Hill), Surrey (Farnham, 9/17, Shirley 7/17), Yorkshire (Burley in Wharfdale, Horsforth 9/17)

OFF - Cheshire (Altrincham 8/17, Macclesfield 9/17), Gloucestershire (Leckhampton 7/17), Lancashire (Whitefield 7/17), Midlothian (Loanhead 6/17), Northamptonshire (Duston 6/17), U.S.A. (Pennsylvania, Tamaqua 9/17)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Jim, do you require more photos from Macclesfield? Or were you unable to download the Gaskell photos from the link I sent you?

Rosie

Hi Jim can you send details of who you need in Tredegar please

14 hours ago, MacclesfieldReflects said:

Jim, do you require more photos from Macclesfield? Or were you unable to download the Gaskell photos from the link I sent you?

Rosie

Hello Rosie, I had left Macclesfield on there as I was hoping that the war memorial for the Macclesfield Mill Street Mission, that includes the name of Sarah Wiggins, might turn up. It hasn't so I shall take Macclesfield off.

10 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Hi Jim can you send details of who you need in Tredegar please

Hello Alison, My Tredegar requirement is a photograph of the Roll of Honour that was/is in the Wesleyan Chapel in Harcourt Terrace, Tredegar. The names of Hetty Onions and Rose Powell are on it.

Jim,

I'm just started working my way through the Norfolk Newspaper Archive on a slightly more disciplined basis, starting from the 1st September 1917. The daily newspaper, the Eastern Daily Press, seems to have a lot of Agency reports, probably to bulk out the news. The edition of Thursday the 6th September 1917 has two names that might be of interest to you - apologies if you already have them.

SCARBORO’ SHELLED

BY U BOAT THREE MILES OUT

3 PERSONS KILLED; 5 INJURED.

(From Lord French.)

A hostile submarine appeared off Scarborough about 6.45 on Tuesday night and fired thirty rounds, of which about half fell on land. Three persons were killed and five injured. The material damage was slight.

(From The Press Association).

SCARBOROUGH, Wednesday.

Just before seven o’clock last evening a German submarine appeared about three miles off Scarborough and commenced shelling the town. In all, about a dozen 3.5 shells were fired into the town. Some fell quite a mile from the town. Three people were killed. Mr. Thos. Pickup (64), was near his home in Queen’s Terrace, when a shell burst on the roadway and a fragment struck and killed him. Mrs. E. Scott, wife of a Scarborough policeman, was struck on the body with a portion of shell, which wrecked a home opposite hers, in Hoxton Road, and where the occupants had a marvellous escape. Mrs. Scott, who was alone in the house at the time, was standing in the doorway when she was struck. She managed to get to the sofa, and there collapsed. She was found there and medically attended, but died later the same night at the hospital.

Two persons were seriously injured. Miss Alice Appleby, aged 17, of Whitehead Hill, had her left arm and leg broken, and Mrs Annie Bestwick, of Victoria Road, received a severe injury to the leg by a piece of shell. A number of houses were damaged, in addition to those where the people were injured. Generally speaking, the damage was not extensive.

On the appearance of a British patrol, the submarine quickly submerged.

A liitle bit more here http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/article.php?article=299

And here

http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/article.php?article=606

A CHATHAM WOMAN VICTIM

An inquest was held at Chatham yesterday on Mrs. Mary Longley, (58), who was buried in the collapse of the house in the air raid on Monday evening. The husband said he had gone a few paces at the back of the house because of a great noise overhead, and he looked round and found the house completely demolished. A police-sergeant stated when the crash occurred there was cloud of dust and rather unpleasant fumes. A daughter and nieces of Mr. Longley were partly buried, but escaped, with superficial injuries. The jury found death due to a bomb falling from a hostile aeroplane, and expressed sympathy with Mr. Longley.

regards,

Peter