Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim

I was in the Hammersmith area today so I thought I would take the opportunity to photograph the two in Fulham Old Cemetery. I will email you the photos and extra details.

Regards

Myrtle

I would welcome a copy of the name of Helen Milne on the Stonehaven War Memorial. I did not know that she was on it.

There is also a headstone for Sister Helen Milne in the Fetteresso Cemetery in Stonehaven as well as the Kirkee 1914-1918 Memorial in Bombay, India. Helen is the only women listed on the Stonehaven War Memorial and died on active service on November 23, 1917 at the age of 31. She was a sister with the Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service. Her father James Milne was the Inspector of the poor Fetteresso & burgh treasurer of Stonehaven for 25 years. One of James residence was 10 Gurney Street in Stonehaven and he died on November 15, 1929 in Stonehaven.

CHEERS,

Jim Allan @ StonehavenWarMemorial@shaw.ca

Hello,

I checked the database I'm setting up on names listed on Scottish war memorials and found 9 women listed out of the 10,381 names I have recorded so far, so its a pretty small percentage. I have listed them below and I have photographs of all of these names but I wasn't sure if they'd be of interest. Let me know if they are any use to you and I'll post them.

Jim

Ainsworth G. Peebles Tweeddale Peebles Sister Female Nurse

Chalmers Margaret H. Margaret Chalmers Motherwell Lanarkshire Women's Royal Air Force Female

Cole Emily H. Emily Cole Helensburgh Dunbartonshire Nurse Female Died 1915 Royal Army Medical Corps ?

MacKintosh Evelyn Inverness Invernesshire Assistant P R Female?

Marnoch M.N. M. Marnoch Kintore Gordon Royal Army Medical Corps Sister Female

Munro Mima M. Munro Jemima Munro Strathyre Stirlingshire V.A.D. Nurse Female

Munro Mimie Mima Munro Jemima Munro Balquhidder Stirlingshire V.A.D. Female

Paterson Ivie Crookedholm Kilmarnock & Loudon Female?

Murdoch Alice Gourock Inverclyde V.A.D. Female

post-4067-1160515625.jpgHi,

As far as I can see there are no women listed on the Dalry war memorial.

I attach an image of the name of Sister Helen Milne on the Stonehaven memorial in case its of any use.

I have a lot of photographs of war memorial panels that I havn't got round to processing onto my database yet. If anyone needs a specific photograph of any name on a Scottish memorial then there's a chance I might have it, just let me know and I'll send it to you if I have it.

Cheers.

Jim McGinlay

Lincolnshire 6 (Alford, Billinghay, Blyton, Grantham, Misterton and Nocton)

Jim, Can you let me have the details for these? Is Misterton the one near Gainsborough, (but other side of the Trent in Notts.). I'm driving down to Hampshire in a couple of weeks time - should be able to get the war memorial in Billinghay either on the way down or on the return trip - weather permitting!

Cheers Terry

MYRTLE

Fulham photographs safely received and I look forward to receiving the Hampstead one in due course. Thank you for your continued help.

THISTLEINN

Jim, Happy to let you have the Stonehaven War Memorial entry re Helen Milne although I see that Jim McGinley has provided one above. You mention that there is a headstone for Sister Helen Milne in the Fetteresso Cemetery in Stonehaven. I expect that this is a memorial to her recorded on her father's headstone. Have you a photograph of it that I may have please?

JAMIEMCGINLAY

Jim, I need them all except Ainsworth (Peebles). I have headstone photographs of most of them but not the war memorial entries. I also need a headstone shot of Evelyn MacIntosh, WRNS, in Daviot Parish Churchyard (south of church) should you be passing down that way. I am fairly certain that I have some memorial shots of women's names that you haven't mentioned that I would be pleased to pass on when I can find a window of time to search through.

Ainsworth G. Peebles Tweeddale Peebles Sister Female Nurse

Chalmers Margaret H. Margaret Chalmers Motherwell Lanarkshire Women's Royal Air Force Female

Cole Emily H. Emily Cole Helensburgh Dunbartonshire Nurse Female Died 1915 Royal Army Medical Corps ?

MacKintosh Evelyn Inverness Invernesshire Assistant P R Female?

Marnoch M.N. M. Marnoch Kintore Gordon Royal Army Medical Corps Sister Female

Munro Mima M. Munro Jemima Munro Strathyre Stirlingshire V.A.D. Nurse Female

Munro Mimie Mima Munro Jemima Munro Balquhidder Stirlingshire V.A.D. Female

Paterson Ivie Crookedholm Kilmarnock & Loudon Female?

Murdoch Alice Gourock Inverclyde V.A.D. Female

KFKELLY

Kevin, You kindly provided the headstone photo of Jessie Smith JAMIESON, TNS. I was just wondering if her name might be on the local war memorial or not. If it is, then a shot of her name would be appreciated or if not then I can note that she isn't there for my records. But Jim seems to have answered the question in his posting above.

TcM59

Terry, I have sent a list of my Lincolnshire requirements directly to you

Dear Jim S and Jamie McG,

I hope I have not introduced confusion here. Is the memorial photo from jamiemcginlay a memorial in Dalry, Ayrshire? Jessie Smith Jamieson is commemorated in Dalry Road Cemetery, Edinburgh and may not have any connection with Ayrshire. As I former local I always called this Dalry cemetery but referring to Edinburgh. Apart from the Hearts Memorial at Haymarket I don't know of any other public memorials in the area where S/N Jamieson might be remembered. There may of course be something in one of the local churches. Sorry if this has muddied the waters.

Kevin

Dear Jim S and Jamie McG,

I hope I have not introduced confusion here. Is the memorial photo from jamiemcginlay a memorial in Dalry, Ayrshire? Jessie Smith Jamieson is commemorated in Dalry Road Cemetery, Edinburgh and may not have any connection with Ayrshire. As I former local I always called this Dalry cemetery but referring to Edinburgh. Apart from the Hearts Memorial at Haymarket I don't know of any other public memorials in the area where S/N Jamieson might be remembered. There may of course be something in one of the local churches. Sorry if this has muddied the waters.

Kevin

Kevin, I took it to be Dalry not Dalry Road. That said, now that I know, I can rectify my records. I wonder if she is on an Edinburgh war memorial - either the city one or perhaps a local one to Dalry Road.

Jim,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. As far as I know there are no memorials on Dalry Road although there is, I think one surviving church, directly opposite Dalry Road cemetery. If it is open next time I pass that way, I'll have a look for you. If anyone knows of any other possible memorial sites in the area I could check those, too.

The Hearts memorial I mentioned above is at Haymarket which marks one end on Dalry Road. As far as I remember there are no names on it just battle honours.

Kevin

Jim

Need a headstone pic of SISTER STELLA BLANDY, in Birkdale Cem...QAIMNS, discharged Palestine, Dec. 18, died flu in Ainsdale, jan 1919?

If so...drop me a line

Bruce

Jim

Need a headstone pic of SISTER STELLA BLANDY, in Birkdale Cem...QAIMNS, discharged Palestine, Dec. 18, died flu in Ainsdale, jan 1919?

If so...drop me a line

Bruce

Bruce, I have this one already but thank you very much for the offer, Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm going to Woolwich cemetery next week and can get pictures of the two graves if you still want them.

Tracy

Hi Jim,

I'm going to Woolwich cemetery next week and can get pictures of the two graves if you still want them.

Tracy

Tracy, That would be great. I am still after :-

CROSS, Amelia, WRAF, Woolwich Cemetery; plot 20. 518

DAW, Winifred, QMAAC, Woolwich Cemetery; plot 11.278

I hope that you find them, Regards, Jim

Jim,

Re. female casualties of Anglesey interest:

You may want to know that the following ladies' pictures are published in Torpedoed! The R.M.S. Leinster Disaster by Philip Lecane (publ. Periscope publishing, Penzance, 2005):

Hannah Owen, 2nd Stewardess - buried Maeshyfryd cemetery, Holyhead.

Louisa Parry, 2nd Stewardess - commemorated on Tower Hill Memorial

Both lost in the sinking of the Leinster in the Irish Sea on 10 Oct 1918.

As the author is a Forum member ("Oak") can I suggest you contact him directly re. the images?

There may also be images of female civilian passengers from the doomed ship, but I don't know whether you count these as war losses?

Both ladies are also named on the Holyhead Town War Memorial, and the North Wales Heroes' Memorial Arch in Bangor, Gwynedd, which has wooden panels listing all war dead from the counties of Anglesey, Caernarfonshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Merionethshire, and Montgomeryshire, on wooden panels arranged in order of parish/town.

Included in these locations, incidentally, is

Margaret Williams, Stewardess - No known grave. Home address 3 Mona Street, Caergeiliog, Bodedern, Anglesey.

who was aboard the S.S. CONNEMARA, an LNWR steamer lost in a collision off Greenore, Irish Sea, on 3 Nov 1916. This was not due to enemy action, but the town of Holyhead listed the crew on its War memorial and the Bangor list.

Also on the Memorials above is

Annie Roberts, 2663 Member, 4th Training Depot Squadron WRAF, died of pneumonia UK on 12 Nov 1918 aged 20. CWGC gives parental address as 44 Strand Crescent, Holywell, Flints., but locally it was Bont Hwfa, Holyhead. Buried Maeshyfryd Cemetery, Holyhead.

Lastly (I think) there's

Jane Ellen Howdle (Mrs.), Stewardess, S.S. LUSITANIA, died 7 May 1915, off Kinsale, Ireland, aged 33. She is noted as being born in Seaforth, Lancs., but lived at Pant-y-Saer Farm, Benllech, Anglesey, and is mentioned on the village War Memorial and on the Bangor Arch list as above.

Sorry I can't offer photos of the above graves/memorials - try Andrew Hesketh, who's already kindly volunteered his services. I'm afraid I live at the other end of North Wales, and have no digital camera!

Please let me know if there's any other info I can provide.

LST_164

Sister Stella Blandy of any interest?

post-14409-1161386012.jpg

post-14409-1161386028.jpg

Sister Stella Blandy joined the QAIMNS in 1912.

She served in France, and then was sent to Palestine, from where she was discharged in December 1918.

She died in the flu epidemic at home in January 1919 and now lies next to her brother in Birkdale Cemetery.

Bruce

TcM59, Terry, I have sent a list of my Lincolnshire requirements directly to you

Hello Jim, I’ve been to Blyton and Misterton - This is what I have:

BLYTON - Dorothy HOWELL is believed to be recorded on the Blyton War Memorial.

Dorothy is not recorded on the Blyton War Memorial, but C. R. Howell is - probably related.

This is his CWGC entry:

HOWELL, CHARLES RICHARD

Initials: C R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M. S/M "E47."

Date of Death: 20/08/1917

Service No: K/22147

Additional information: Son of Frederick B. and Jane Howell, of Blyton, Gainsborough, Lincs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 26.

Memorial: PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

I have photos of the Blyton’s War Memorial if you want one.

MISTERTON (near Gainsborough) - Catherine Hannah JOLLANDS, nurse, is buried in the cemetery and her name is on the local war memorial.

Nurse Jollands is on the Town’s War Memorial, (High res. photos to follow via email). Unfortunately I could not find her grave in the churchyard or the Town’s Cemetery, quite a number of headstones are either unreadable or have fallen. It’s possible I missed it but I spent more than an hour looking at each location without success before moving on to Blyton.

Cheers Terry

LST_164

Thank you for for listing these. Margaret Williams is a new one to me and I shall add her name to my Register in view of the fact that she is listed on war memorials. Now to seek out photographs.

Bruce Hubbard

I had these already as photographs but the information about France and Palestine was new to me. Thank you.

TcM59

Thank you, Terry. Photograph of the Misterton war memorial safely received.

Hi Jim,

I know that we have been in contact before in relation to information on QMAAC in the Cork area, but due to a power fault on my computer I have lost a lot of info both sent and recived. I have just seen this thread and if I can be of help with the Irish requests please let me know.

Regards,

Sean.

Hi Jim,

I know that we have been in contact before in relation to information on QMAAC in the Cork area, but due to a power fault on my computer I have lost a lot of info both sent and recived. I have just seen this thread and if I can be of help with the Irish requests please let me know.

Regards,

Sean.

Sean, I seem to have my full quota of needs from Cork. I have to say that most of these relate to Cobh where many of the Lusitania casualties are buried/remembered. But thanks for the offer. Jim

Sean, I seem to have my full quota of needs from Cork. I have to say that most of these relate to Cobh where many of the Lusitania casualties are buried/remembered. But thanks for the offer. Jim

Hi Jim,

No problem.

Best of luck.

Sean

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

Did you ever get the memorial from Warriston Cemetery, Edinburgh? If not, let me know the name and I'll try to get it this weekend. I'll be in that part of the city with some time to spare.

Kevin

Jim,

Did you ever get the memorial from Warriston Cemetery, Edinburgh? If not, let me know the name and I'll try to get it this weekend. I'll be in that part of the city with some time to spare.

Kevin

Kevin, Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. Other than female names on war memorials I now only have three grave headstone requirements to see Edinburgh complete. They are :-

MacLean, H.F.M. Women's Legion, ;Edinburgh (Warriston) Cemetery; plot CI. 831 (died 7/4/18)

Martin, Marjorie Traill, QMAAC, ; Edinburgh (Warriston) Cemetery; plot K. 150 (died 17/5/18)

Wright, Elsie May, QMAAC, ;Edinburgh Eastern Cemetery; plot F. 756 (died 23/12/18)

So if you are able to do two of these I will be delighted.

Thanks, Jim

I'll see what I can do. A quick check here: www.headstones.fsnet.co.uk/warriston.htm indicates that the cemetery is not in good condition but I'll try to find a map of the site somewhere. I'll get back in touch next week.

Kevin