Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

TcM59 - All images safely received. Many thanks.

Jim, I'll be passing through Boston after the Bank Holiday should be able to send photo of Elizabeth BEARDSALL's headstone end of that week.

Sorry didn't see the War Memorial in Billinghay - I'll probably be through there end of October if that is any good.

Cheers: Terry

ps. Thanks for the Newlyn Habour link - Cannot see a family resemblance - Andrew looks far too distinguished!

Jim, Do you have these:

Name: BOND, ELLA MAUD

Initials: E M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

Unit Text: 2nd Reserve

Date of Death: 03/11/1918

Service No: B/1302

Awards: ARRC

Additional information: Daughter of Charles F. and Isabella D. Bond, of 48, King St., Southport.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 43. C. 2.

Cemetery: GRIMSBY (SCARTHO ROAD) CEMETERY

Name: DREWRY, HARRIET HAWKESWORTH

Initials: H H

Regiment/Service: Women's Royal Naval Service

Date of Death: 31/10/1918

Service No: G/2335

Additional information: Daughter of Joseph Clifton Drewry and Betsy Drewry, of 49, Farebrother St., Grimsby. (In the same grave is buried: Telephonist Dorothy Marjorie Drewry, G/2091, Women's Royal Naval Service. 25th Feb., 1920. Age 19.).

Grave/Memorial Reference: 38. H. 6.

Name: DREWRY, DOROTHY MARJORIE

Initials: D M

Regiment/Service: Women's Royal Naval Service

Date of Death: 25/02/1920

Service No: G/2091

Additional information: Daughter of Joseph Clifton Drewry and Betsy Drewry of 49, Farebrother St., Grimsby. (In the same grave is buried Telephonist Harriet Hawkesworth Drewry, G/2335, Women's Royal Naval Service. 31 Oct 1918. Age 24.).

Grave/Memorial Reference: 38. H. 6.

Jim, Do you have these:

Name: BOND, ELLA MAUD

Name: DREWRY, HARRIET HAWKESWORTH

Name: DREWRY, DOROTHY MARJORIE

Hello Terry, Yes, I have them, regards, Jim.

Hello Jim

I have some photos for you and I'm really pleased. I knew where Lambeth (Tooting) Cemetery was because I parked there once when visiting St Georges Hospital (bit naughty really) but what I didn't know until I looked in the A-Z was that Wandsworth (Streatham) and Wandsworth (Earlsfield) Cemeteries are very close, so I have managed to do 4 cemeteries in 1 hit. I also did Streatham Park Cemetery on route.

I had hoped to do a round trip and get to the Kingston cemeteries as well but I ran out of time. Wandsworth (Putney Vale) is actually in Kingston and Kingston-upon-Thames is in Norbiton (Who named these cemeteries :blink: ). I will try to do these as soon as I can. Also the Fulham one you gave me is Fulham (North Sheen) and is just down the road to the National Archive building so is a bit further out.

I have downloaded the ones I've got onto my PC, can you confirm your email address and I'll forward them to you.

Barbara

Hello Jim

I have downloaded the ones I've got onto my PC, can you confirm your email address and I'll forward them to you.

Barbara

Hello Barbara, I have sent you my email address directly in a PM. Regards, Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, do you have A.L Piggott WRAF died 9th November 1918? She is buried in Beddingham church yard, i have a photo (from a friend) but it is only half the grave, if you haven't got it already i can go and do the photo again this week for you,

Of course you might have it already from Terry Denham cos i know he has all the sussex graves covered.

Mandy

Terry

High res. picture safely received with thanks.

Mandy

I have the one for Annie Piggott but appreciate your offering. Out of interest she was a sailmaker in the QMAAC. She transferred across to the WRAF when it was formed. No doubt her skills were needed to help make the old "stringbags".

Jim, thanks for the info, thought you might have it.

Mandy

CHRISTCHURCH (Sydenham/Featherstone) Cemetery; block 38C, lot 61-62 - Margaret Hepple THOMPSON,

Jim, my daughter has taken photos of Margaret Thompson, who has 2 gravestones! I'm sending the shots directly to you as I can't seem to upload any of them

Christine

Sorry, you may already have someone on to these - but have you got a photo of the Nurses Memorial Chapel in Christchurch New Zealand, which is dedicated to the memory of the nurses who lost their lives in the sinking of the Marquette in 1915.

Snippet about it here.

If you've not already got those, maybe someone down that way could take a photo for you?

Allie

Sorry, you may already have someone on to these - but have you got a photo of the Nurses Memorial Chapel in Christchurch New Zealand, which is dedicated to the memory of the nurses who lost their lives in the sinking of the Marquette in 1915.

Snippet about it here.

If you've not already got those, maybe someone down that way could take a photo for you?

Allie

I think the only ones left in NZ are;

AUCKLAND; Waikaraka Cemetery; area 2, block O, lot no. 21A - Mary Eliza EDGE - ex NZANS

HAMILTON East Cemetery; Soldiers Sect. 10; row 1; Phoebe M. REYNOLDS, NZANS

NELSON; Wakapuaka Cemetery; Anglican block 17, plot 13; Ethel Hannah BARNES, NZANS

If any kiwis could get any of these, please do. And also the one South African in Ashburton, for Ralph of SAWGP. I have got him all the other South Africans.

Christine

Christine is correct in that I have just three photograph needs now from New Zealand. She has listed them above. Also I am aware of Amy Charlotte Melora Folliott who appears to have been attached to the New Zealand Army Nursing Service and was a casualty. Her name is not on my copy of the New Zealand Roll of Honour and her grave is not cared for by the CWGC. If anyone has any information about this woman I shall be very pleased to receive it. With regards to the Nurses Memorial Chapel I have photographs of it but thanks for mentioning it.

Hi Jim

I've been sorting through my late father's photographs of RAMC and found four photos that may be of interest to you. Two are from London 29, Sister Martha Gorbutt d. 28/7/20 QAIMNS and Sister EFM Callier d.22/6/19 QAIMNS. I agreed the London cemetaries I would go to with ChrisC then deleted your list so do not know if these were on it. The other two are Staff Nurse N Spindler and 20110 Worker, E Green.

Also, I've arranged to meet an old school mate in Kingston in a couple of weeks time so should be able to send you A E Broad and Gladys Im-Thurn.

Barbara

Hi Jim

I've been sorting through my late father's photographs of RAMC and found four photos that may be of interest to you. Two are from London 29, Sister Martha Gorbutt d. 28/7/20 QAIMNS and Sister EFM Callier d.22/6/19 QAIMNS. I agreed the London cemetaries I would go to with ChrisC then deleted your list so do not know if these were on it. The other two are Staff Nurse N Spindler and 20110 Worker, E Green.

Also, I've arranged to meet an old school mate in Kingston in a couple of weeks time so should be able to send you A E Broad and Gladys Im-Thurn.

Barbara

Hello Barbara, From the first paragraph I now have all of them EXCEPT Worker E. Green. I have her as service number 20140 (not 20110) so I shall be interested to see what it says on her headstone.

I still need Broad and Im-Thurn. I do not know Gladys Im-Thurn's plot number so I suggest your having an advances word with Wandsworth (Putney Vale) Cemetery office for details on how to find it. Good hunting, Jim

Typical, I have a superb photo of Staff Nurse N Spindler's headstone, all clean with flowers in the background and poppy crosses. The picture of Worker E Green is not so good but I will scan it and email it to you.

The numbering is 20140. The | part of the 4 is a bit ground in so stands out more than the /_ part of the 4, which is faded and hard to see, especially in a bad light.

Will phone Wandsworth (PV) Cemetery before I go, thanks for the advice.

Barbara

Well gang, If you don't ask you don't get. I am preparing a register of women who died during or soon after WW1 for eventual publication at my expense. I have virtually all of the names but very few illustrations. If I cannot get a photograph of the lady I am trying to get a copy of her grave headstone or name on the town/village memorial. Their graves are scattered throughout the UK and for that matter the world. I live in Devon and have photographs for Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. I also have Malta covered and various other pockets of the UK where I have visited. But with around 1600 names ANY help would be gratefully received. This is where you come in. If you are prepared to take photographs of these ladies headstones in your locality or holiday destination I should be very pleased to receive them. Just drop me a line at jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk and tell me the area which you can cover I will reply with the town/village and plot locations. I will of course acknowledge the help given against the photograph in the register. For those willing to become involved my grateful thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you. Jim Strawbridge, Devon.

Hi, Came across your quest searching for info on my grandfather. Anyhow, I'm quite often in Dalbeattie and wondered if you still need pictures from there. If you do drop me a note.

Hi, Came across your quest searching for info on my grandfather. Anyhow, I'm quite often in Dalbeattie and wondered if you still need pictures from there. If you do drop me a note.

I have no requirements in Dalbeattie but wonder if Elizabeth Thompson, BRCS, is on her town memorial at Creetown. Similarly with Jemima Wilson, QMAAC at Moniaive. But, please, only if you are passing near either of these places on the way to Dalbeattie. I don't want you to go out of your way.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just completed a trip to Cambridgeshire to stay a few days with my son. I have managed to complete Norfolk, Northamptonshire, one off Berkshire and all but one in Oxfordshire. And Barbara has cleared one off London and one off Surrey. Here is what the list looks like now.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Anglesey 2 (Holyhead x 2)

Argyllshire 1 (Kilbride)

Ayrshire 1 (Dalbeattie)

Berkshire 6 (all in Reading Cemetery)

Buckinghamshire 3 (Cliveden x 2, Langley)

Clackmannan 2 (Dollar, Tillicoultry)

Cumbria 1 (Ulverston)

Derbyshire 1 (Bamford)

Dumbarton 1 (Dumbarton)

Dumfries-shire 1 (Morton)

Durham 13

Edinburgh 2 (Dalry and Warriston)

Glamorgan 4 (Bridgend, Gellygaer, Pontypridd and Swansea

Hertfordshire 1 (Langleybury)

Inverness-shire 2 (Al Vie and Daviot)

Isle of Man 1 (St. John)

Isle of Wight 1 (Oakfield)

Kent 13

Lancashire 12

Lincolnshire 6 (Alford, Billinghay, Blyton, Grantham, Misterton and Nocton)

London 21

Merioneth 2 (Dolgelly and Festiniog)

Middlesex 10

Midlothian 1 (Inveresk)

Monmouthshire 9

Northumberland 4 (Haydon, Morpeth, Newcastle-on-Tyne and Tynemouth)

Nottinghamshire 4 (Farndon, Mansfield, Nottingham and Radcliffe-on-Trent)

Oxfordshire 1 (Cogges)

Perthshire 4 (Blair Atholl, Comrie, Crieff and Dunblane)

Stirlingshire 1 (Stirling)

Suffolk 1 (Southwold)

Surrey 3 (Ash, Fulham, Wallington)

West Lothian 1 (Uphall)

Westmoreland 1 (Workington)

Worcestershire 1 (Stone)

Yorkshire 10 (Allerton Bywater, Chapeltown, Harlow, Hull x 2, Leeds, Slingsby, Whitby x 2, Woodhouse

Australia 8 (Adelaide (SA), Beechworth (Vic), Canberra, Coburg (Vic), Queanbeyan (NSW), Swanwater (Vic), Melbourne, Sydney (NSW),

Canada 25 (many re Halifax Memorial)

Egypt 17

France 5 (also the 3 main American Cemetery's there)

Greece 15

India 8

Iran 1 (Tehran)

Iraq 12

Ireland 10

Israel 3 (Gaza x 2, Jerusalem

Italy 1 (Genoa)

Macedonia 2 (Skopje x 2)

Malawi 3 (Blantyre, Mangochi and Zomba)

New Zealand 4 (Auckland, Hamilton, Nelson and Riverton)

Pakistan 1 (Rawalpindi)

Russia 1 (Kazan)

Serbia 1 (Bajina Basta)

South Africa 3 (Boksburg and Potchefstroom

Sri Lanka 1 (Colombo)

Tanzania 2 (Dodoma x 2)

Yugoslavia 7

Jim

Now I have "cleared" the Brompton Cemetery one, and the photographs of the Kensal Cemeteries and the old Hammersmith cemetery please give a break down of the other London cemeteries from which you need photographs.

Regards

Myrtle

Jim

Now I have "cleared" the Brompton Cemetery one, and the photographs of the Kensal Cemeteries and the old Hammersmith cemetery please give a break down of the other London cemeteries from which you need photographs.

Regards

Myrtle

Hello Myrtle. Just nine locations although there may be some not listed in Essex, etc which can now be classed as London. Any that you can do will be appreciated. Here they are :-

Abney Park Cemetery; Screen Wall; Daisy Margaret HUDSON, WRAF

Bromley Hill Cemetery; plot C.73; Rose Maria CHURCH, WRAF

Bromley Hill Cemetery; plot J. 255; Mable DYE, WRAF

Camberwell (Forest Hill Road) Cemetery; plot 101. 25354; Bertha VINTER, TFNS

Camberwell (Forest Hill Road) Cemetery; Screen Wall; Edith Olive WILLIAMS, WRAF

Deptford (Brockley) Cemetery; plot B. 520; Marjorie Edsall DAVIS, WRAF

Deptford (Brockley) Cemetery; plot Z. 313; Phyllis PURDY, WRAF

Fulham Old Cemetery; plot 7.I.10; Jane BRADLEY, QMAAC

Fulham Old Cemetery; plot 8B. G. 45; Lois JORDAN, QMAAC

Hampstead Cemetery; plot E.5.59; Ethel Mary BAILEY, QMAAC

Highgate Cemetery; plot 148. 41260; Dorothy Madeleine THORNTON, QMAAC

Lewisham (Ladywell) Cemetery; plot G. 43; Florence Annie GRAY, WRAF

Lewisham (Ladywell) Cemetery; plot B. 931; Isabella Jane SPOONER, WRAF

Woolwich Cemetery; plot 20.158; Amelia CROSS, WRAF

Woolwich Cemetery; plot 11.278; Winifred DAW, QMAAC

Jim

I will continue with the theme of "Bailey" and visit Hampstead Cemetery when the weather permits. The added bonus is that Sir William Goscombe John is also buried there.

Myrtle