Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim

I will be dropping my Wife off at Wigan North Western Station and have planned seperate routes from there to Edenfield Church and St Augustines Pendlebury. I'll take the details of both and see how the day goes, I can't see why you won't get at least one of your wants.

Regards

Stephen

Edited by Stephen White

MISTERTON; Catherine Hannah JOLLANDS; civilian nurse in local churchyard and, unusually, on local war memorial as Nurse K. Jollands (both grave and memorial naming required)

I have the details of her here on my desk. (recently supplied by Forum members). I can get a picture of the War memorial on my way home from work some day, and maybe the grave. She died of pneumonia while treating wounded soldiers in Sheffield. I have photo's of the hospital she worked in, albeit circa 1902.

I also have the details for her sister Agnes QAIMSR who survived in the front line during the war.

There is also a nurse Dorothy Howell commemorated inside Blyton Church. Auchonvillerssomme found this for me and may have a photo.

PM me with what you need.

Regards.

Gordon.

TcM59 - Here are the ones for Lincolnshire

BILLINGHAY; Billinghay (St. Michael) Church Cemetery; Nellie WILLSON, QAIMNS

BOSTON; Boston Cemetery; S. 565; Elizabeth BEARDSALL, WRNS

GRANTHAM; Grantham Cemetery; 16. 38; Alice Frances WILSON, WRAF

MISTERTON; Catherine Hannah JOLLANDS; civilian nurse in local churchyard and, unusually, on local war memorial as Nurse K. Jollands (both grave and memorial naming required)

NORTH RAUCEBY; North Rauceby (St. Peter) Churchyard; 6. 98; Lucie Emma CLARKE, WRNS

NORTH SOMERCOTES; North Somercotes Cemetery; 27. 43; Betsy CARY, QMAAC and North Somercotes Cemetery; 27. 45; Hilda CARY, QMAAC. Died three days apart and almost certainly sisters. There must be an interesting story here - perhaps a motor accident or fire. I have yet to find out.

Jim, I can do North Somercotes soon(ish). We have grandchildren minding duties the first part of the school Summer Hol's! Also Boston, Billinghay (Coningsby), North Rauceby by the end of the month or soon after!

Cheers: Terry

BJay (Barbara)

I have sent you a list of London and Middlesex needs. Suggest liase with Chris to save duplication of work.

Stephen White

I guess that you will only have time for one - unless you get the leathers out and take your wife on pillion for her business meeting !!!!

gj.simmonds (Gordon)

Catherine Hannah JOLLANDS - photograph of her name off the Misterton War Memorial and her headstone, too, if you are clever enough to find her grave.

Dorothy Lucy HOWELL - photograph of her name on the Blyton War Memorial needed. Can you help, Auchonvillerssomme? Do you know where she is buried?

TcM59

Whatever you can get will be much appreciated. My daughter was in Boston on her first year at university. De Montfort used the old Boston Grammar School as one of their campuses (campii ?). Unfortunately this was before I was collecting these photographs relating to WW1 female casualties.

Jim

I haven't forgotten your Brompton Cemetery request, which I will do week after next, unless I hear that Chris has taken the photograph before.

Myrtle

Dear Jim,

Edinburgh (Dalry) Cemetery; R. 339; Jessie Smith JAMIESON, TFNS

I managed to visit Dalry on Saturday and found a marker for Nurse Jamieson. It is not a conventional CWGC stone. I am not up to posting the picture here so if you contact me directly with an e-mail address I'll send on the photos. The cemetery is interesting. It is an old Victorian place now disused and under local council control. Although I've passed it hundreds of times, I'd never been in before. The main paths are clear but there are areas completely overgrown with nettles and brambles. One or two war graves are virtually inaccessible. There are 26 CWGC burials there, only 2 from the Second war.

Regards

Kevin

Jim

I didn't get to Wigan on Thursday, on the Morning of the meeting my wifes regional manager went sick so the meeting was cancelled at very shirt notice. I'll try for one of them next time if no one else picks up on them before then. (I would have let you know sooner, but I've been away all weekend and I've only just got back).

However I am leaving for Woking tomorrow lunchtime, I'll be passing the entrance to Brookwood on the way in and out of Woking. So if Louisa Speedy is still outstanding I'll get that, (I've checked with Barbara, she won't be able to get out for a few weeks).

Regards

Stephen

Guest KevinEndon

Mary Thomson KERR, TFNS. Ardrossan Cemetery.

Jim, got a photo of her grave whilst up in Scotland for the weekend taking in the Celtic game so I will not have to send you a PM with my bill for expenses lol. It's not a war grave its a family plot, will post it on here tomorrow once I have downloaded it from my camera. All the others on your Ayrshire list are a bit out of the way being more South Ayrshire than North Ayrshire. Maybe someone else could pick these up for you.

Please note that CORSOCK; Corsock United Free Churchyard; IS NOT in Ayrshire but in Kirkubrighshire if someone could pick this one up for Jim.

Mary's name is not on the Ardrossan war memorial but as its a nice one I will post it on here as well.

Enjoyed the day out on the Ayrshire coast today Sunday 13th August. Nice and sunny and had a laugh on the way back down the M6 listening to the Rangers game.

Hope you like the photos when they come.

Kevin

KF Kelly

Kevin, I have sent you my email address directly as requested. Out of interest Jessie Jameson died of pneumonia.

Stephen White

Thanks for the offer. Louisa Speedy is still outstanding.

PRIVATE PARTS

Size may matter (!!!) so I have sent you my direct email address too.

Thank you all for your continued help with my project. Very much appreciated.

Hi Jim

I`m off to Brookwood in Surrey this afternoon on another project, if there are any female war graves there i would be more than happy to get some photos for you.

Regards

Phil Henry

Jim,

I'll try to send you the pictures this evening. I was looking at some photographs I had taken earlier this year of the war memorial in Pitlochry. There is a SN MacBeth listed, QAIMNS. We are visiting Pitlochry in October, SN MacBeth is buried there. If you need a photo, let me know.

Kevin

Jim,

I'll try to send you the pictures this evening. I was looking at some photographs I had taken earlier this year of the war memorial in Pitlochry. There is a SN MacBeth listed, QAIMNS. We are visiting Pitlochry in October, SN MacBeth is buried there. If you need a photo, let me know.

Kevin

Kevin, I have this one already. However worth you looking it out when you are there because it commemorates eight members of the family and comprises 128 words. As the stonemason would have charged by the letter you can't accuse this Scottish family of being thrifty. Another interesting point is that the head of the family has his occupation given as a colporteur. This was a word totally unknown to me and I had to look it up in a dictionary. The Shorter English Dictionary gives a colporteur as a hawker of books and newspapers especially one employed by a religious society.

TcM59 - Here are the ones for Lincolnshire

BILLINGHAY; Billinghay (St. Michael) Church Cemetery; Nellie WILLSON, QAIMNS

NORTH RAUCEBY; North Rauceby (St. Peter) Churchyard; 6. 98; Lucie Emma CLARKE, WRNS

NORTH SOMERCOTES; North Somercotes Cemetery; 27. 43; Betsy CARY, QMAAC and North Somercotes Cemetery; 27. 45; Hilda CARY, QMAAC. Died three days apart and almost certainly sisters. There must be an interesting story here - perhaps a motor accident or fire. I have yet to find out.

Jim, Update on the Lincs. locations completed - Photos can pre-viewed on the links. High resolution images are available if required :

BILLINGHAY: Nellie WILLSON (554.27 KB)

Most of the headstones (including Nellie’s) have been cleared from the Church Cemetery. CWGC have put the one photographed in Coningsby Cemetery.

NORTH RAUCEBY: Lucie Emma CLARKE (548.38 KB)

NORTH SOMERCOTES: Both (244.10 KB)

Betsy CARY (357.92 KB)

Hilda CARY (366.88 KB)

Not done yet!

BOSTON; Boston Cemetery; S. 565; Elizabeth BEARDSALL, WRNS.

I will contact you with more details tomorrow.

Terry, You are a star. Many thanks, indeed for getting these, Jim

Jim, I've emailed the five higher resolution photos as requested and some notes - Six messages in all - let me know if they all arrive ok, my computer tells me some didn't go!

Christine - I have found a fifth which is a memorial on her fathers grave stone. So I need :-

SOUTHLAND; Invercargill, Wallacetown Cemetery; plot 37, section I - William LIND has an inscription re his daughter Lily LIND, NZANS

Hi Jim

Christine passed this on to me last night, I should be able to get a picture today as i'm heading through Wallacetown

any particular format you want the photo in

Jim

I wanted to be sure that you had covered the village of my birth,Swanmore,Hampshire,and our member of the QMAAC. 45051 Violet May HORNER.Died 30 July 1918. Buried in parents plot at St Barnabas Church.

If you don't have a photo I will get one.

Admiration for you and your project

Sotonmate

Jim

I have a photo of the Stonehaven War Memorial which records Sister Helen Milne Queen Alexandras I.M.N.S.R.

I would be happy to e-mail you a copy of the photo. Also, if there are any monuments in the Ayrshire area let me know.

Alickie

Hi Jim

For your NZ ones

Lily LIND, NZANS

DSC03420.jpg

This image has been reduced in size and quality, i have the original files still, so you can grab them, just let me know

I took 6 photos (Forgot to recharge camera) they are a a little dull, but if you colour balance they they come out OK

see the rest of the photos here

TcM59

All images safely received. Many thanks.

Nigel74/Christine

Nigel, I have been in touch direct. Many thanks for getting the photographs. Nicely taken may I add.

Christine, thank you for finding/asking Nigel to do this for me. Much appreciated.

Sotonmate

I have photographs of the grave and the village war memorial showing her name. The grave was very badly overgrown and sinking if I recall correctly. So much so that her mother's name on the kerbing had "gone underground". Violet Horner died in Bristol of diptheria so the family must have paid to bring her home.

Alickie

I would welcome a copy of the name of Helen Milne on the Stonehaven War Memorial. I did not know that she was on it. I have contacted you directly with my email address and Ayrshire needs.

Guest KevinEndon

Photos of Mary Thomson Kerr should be with you. Shame the graveyard is undergoing the dreaded health and safety blight thats ruining many a grave yard.

post-11197-1156082358.jpg

Here is the Ardrossan memorial, Mary's name is not on it

Jim, If you need any taken in the Stockport/Manchester Area give us a shout, anything for an old M8.

TY Bob Russell

Well gang, If you don't ask you don't get. I am preparing a register of women who died during or soon after WW1 for eventual publication at my expense. I have virtually all of the names but very few illustrations. If I cannot get a photograph of the lady I am trying to get a copy of her grave headstone or name on the town/village memorial. Their graves are scattered throughout the UK and for that matter the world. I live in Devon and have photographs for Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. I also have Malta covered and various other pockets of the UK where I have visited. But with around 1600 names ANY help would be gratefully received. This is where you come in. If you are prepared to take photographs of these ladies headstones in your locality or holiday destination I should be very pleased to receive them. Just drop me a line at jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk and tell me the area which you can cover I will reply with the town/village and plot locations. I will of course acknowledge the help given against the photograph in the register. For those willing to become involved my grateful thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you. Jim Strawbridge, Devon.

PRIVATEPARTS

Thank you. The images came through nicely. Glad that you got the hang of the technology (eventually).

Saints and Sinners

Well, there's a blast from the past. Was it logistics in Germany when we were last in touch. And medals to the Manchester Regiment? I am coming directly to you with my Stockport/Manchester requirements.

Hi Jim,

Thats right Germany & Canada for a time, few years ago now. Let me know if you need anything done up this way. Bob

PRIVATEPARTS

Thank you. The images came through nicely. Glad that you got the hang of the technology (eventually).

Saints and Sinners

Well, there's a blast from the past. Was it logistics in Germany when we were last in touch. And medals to the Manchester Regiment? I am coming directly to you with my Stockport/Manchester requirements.