Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

If anyone is going to France for Remembrance Day I still have some photographs of headstones required from the following places.

le Havre, Paris, Marseilles, Estaires, Asnieres-sur-Oise, Godwaersvelde, Malo-les-Baines, Pys, Lille, Cherbourg, Dieppe. And from the American Cemeteries at Thiaucourt, Suresnes, Oise-Aisne and Meuse-Argaine.

Once I have got these I will have completed my quest in having photographs of all WW1 serving female casualty headstones (British and US, anyway) in France and Flanders.

• 3 months later...

Under Women and the Great War, I recently posted a photo of a WRAF member's grave stone I found in Selgrave. You are welcome to it.

Well gang, If you don't ask you don't get. I am preparing a register of women who died during or soon after WW1 for eventual publication at my expense. I have virtually all of the names but very few illustrations. If I cannot get a photograph of the lady I am trying to get a copy of her grave headstone or name on the town/village memorial. Their graves are scattered throughout the UK and for that matter the world. I live in Devon and have photographs for Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. I also have Malta covered and various other pockets of the UK where I have visited. But with around 1600 names ANY help would be gratefully received. This is where you come in. If you are prepared to take photographs of these ladies headstones in your locality or holiday destination I should be very pleased to receive them. Just drop me a line at jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk and tell me the area which you can cover I will reply with the town/village and plot locations. I will of course acknowledge the help given against the photograph in the register. For those willing to become involved my grateful thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you. Jim Strawbridge, Devon.

Thank you bcarleton. It is one that I already have but I do need one of her name commemorated amongst “The Men of this Village” on the war memorial tablet in the church of St. James the Less, Sulgrave, Northamptonshire. I don't soppose that you took a photograph of that one whilst you were there, did you?

My regrets -- I did not visit the church while in Selgrave, and as I am back in America I wouldn't be able to until my next visit. Maybe this fall. If so, I will happily get the photo for you.

Jim

I have just found your thread, I will be going to Northern Ireland tomorrow are there any there that you need??

Mutley

Hi Mutley, I have sent a list directly to your email address. Bon voyage.

Jim, I see that you need some done in Cheshire, some me your requirements for Cheshire and maybe Liverpool and I will see if I can be of assistance, Regards John

Jim, I see that you need some done in Cheshire, some me your requirements for Cheshire and maybe Liverpool and I will see if I can be of assistance, Regards John

Here they are John. I hope that some are convenient. Stephen White has managed to pick a few off on his irregular visits to the area and these are the ones that now remain.

Cheshire, Flintshire and Liverpool photograph requirements

CHESHIRE

Bidstone War Memorial or church - Buckler, Annie Elinor, QAIMNS - her father was rector there).

Chester War Memorial - Gerrard, Nellie, QMAAC

Hoole War Memorial - Roberts, Annie, WRAF

Edgeley War Memorial - Foulkes, Elsie, QMAAC

Liscard War Memorial - Howdle, Jane Ellen, Mercantile Marine

Lower Bebington War Memorial - Thomas, Lilian, QAIMNS

Moftram War Memorial - Cooper, Ann, QAIMNS

Rock Ferry War Memorial - Routledge, E.H., QMAAC

Wallasey War Memorial - Jones, Beatrice Isabel, QAIMNS

FLINTSHIRE

Llanelwy, St. Asaph Cathedral - memorial wall plaque with the names of five Welsh nurses (Frances Ethel Brice, Jane Roberts, Margaret Dorothy Roberts, Margaret Evans Thomas and Eleanor May Rowlands)

LIVERPOOL

Aintree War Memorial - Blacklock, Alice May, TFNS

Anfield Cemetery; plot I. U. 786 - Wylie, May, QMAAC and war memorial

Bootle War Memorial - Cassels, Nora, Mercantile Marine, Hird, Agnes, Mercantile Marine and Morrow, Isobel Harding, Mercantile Marine

Huyton War Memorial - Barker, Edith Frances, VAD

Liverpool War Memorial - Gailey, Laura Mation, VAD, Richardson, Annie, Mercantile Marine and Shimmin, Mona, VAD

Toxteth Park Cemetery; plot I. C.E. 114 - Butcher, Rose Ellem, Women’s Legion and War Memorial

Toxteth Park Cemetery, plot I.C.E. 208 - Ing, Elsie Uxbridge, QMAAC and War Memorial

Toxteth Park Cemetery; plot VIII. C.E. 666 - Thomas, Lilian, QAIMNS

(war memorials are speculative and the names may or may not be on them).

Stephen White has managed to pick a few off on his irregular visits to the area and these are the ones that now remain.

FLINTSHIRE

Llanelwy, St. Asaph Cathedral - memorial wall plaque with the names of five Welsh nurses (Frances Ethel Brice, Jane Roberts, Margaret Dorothy Roberts, Margaret Evans Thomas and Eleanor May Rowlands)

Jim

I think I mananged to get this one, although I must admit I don't think it was a particularily good one, if it's the one I'm thinking of (the one I had flash problems with).

Stephen

Stephen, You are absolutely right. You provided this one to me and with joint acknowledgement to you and the Dean and Chapter of St. Asaph Cathedral. I had filed it under the ladies and not the place. Thanks for putting me right. Jim

Stephen, You are absolutely right. You provided this one to me and with joint acknowledgement to you and the Dean and Chapter of St. Asaph Cathedral. I had filed it under the ladies and not the place. Thanks for putting me right. Jim

Your post had me frantically looking for the discs with my photo's on to check if it was the one I was thinking about. I found my discs eventually (they were in a safe place, SO safe I couldn't find them!!). However you had replied before I got my hands on them.

Anyway another one to tick off the list.

Regards

Stephen

• 4 months later...

Time to refresh the thread. I have reached the point where I can sort of list my wants by county and country. These are the places where I know there is a WW1 female casualty's grave that I have yet to obtain. You may recall that I am preparing a Register of serving WW1 female casualties which I hope to publish at my own expense as a memorial to them. I am collecting biographical information and hope to have it well illustrated with photographs of their grave markers. Where I have a county with three or less locations these are listed. I am more than happy to provide locations for others. I hope that anyone living in any of these places or holidaying in them may be able to help me with my project.

Anglesey 2 (Holyhead x 2)

Argyllshire 1 (Kilbride)

Ayrshire 4

Berkshire 7

Buckinghamshire 3 (Cliveden x 2, Langley)

Clackmannan 2 (Dollar, Tillicoultry)

Cumbria 1 (Ulverston)

Derbyshire 1 (Bamford)

Dumbarton 1 (Dumbarton)

Dumfries-shire 1 (Morton)

Durham 13

Edinburgh 2 (Dalry and Warriston)

Glamorgan 4

Hertfordshire 1 (Langleybury)

Inverness-shire 2 (Al Vie and Daviot)

Isle of Man 1 (St. John)

Isle of Wight 1 (Oakfield)

Kent 13

Lancashire 12

Lincolnshire 6

London 22

Merioneth 2 (Dolgelly and Festiniog)

Middlesex 10

Midlothian 1 (Inveresk)

Monmouthshire 9

Norfolk 2 (Great Massingham and North Elmham)

Northamptonshire 2 (Cold Higham and Welford)

Northumberland 4

Nottinghamshire 4

Oxfordshire 5

Perthshire 4

Stirlingshire 1 (Stirling)

Suffolk 1 (Southwold)

Surrey 4

West Lothian 1 (Uphall)

Westmoreland 1 (Workington)

Worcestershire 1 (Stone)

Yorkshire 7

Australia 6

Canada 25 (many re Halifax Memorial)

Egypt 17

France 5 (also the 3 main American Cemetery's there)

Greece 15

India 8

Iran 1 (Tehran)

Iraq 12

Ireland 10

Israel 3 (Gaza x 2, Jerusalem

Italy 1 (Genoa)

Macedonia 2 (Skopje x 2)

Malawi 3 (Blantyre, Mangochi and Zomba)

New Zealand 4

Pakistan 1 (Rawalpindi)

Russia 1 (Kazan)

Serbia 1 (Bajina Basta)

South Africa 3 (Boksburg and Potchefstroom

Sri Lanka 1 (Colombo)

Tanzania 2 (Dodoma x 2)

Yugoslavia 7

Jim , what are the 4 NZ ones?

Christine

Jim

I have to take my wife to Wigan for a two hour meeting, this Thursday coming. Give me the details of one of your Lancashire wants (the closest to Wigan) and I'll do that for you. If you can get the details to me by the end of the weekend, that gives me three days next week to harasss the appropriate authorities for cemetery maps, etc.

Regards

Stephen

Jim, Where are the ones in Lincolnshire?

Cheers: Terry

Hi Jim

PM me the details of Middlesex & London and I'll see what I can do.

Chris C

Christine - I have found a fifth which is a memorial on her fathers grave stone. So I need :-

AUCKLAND; Waikaraka Cemetery; area 2, block O, lot no. 21A - Mary Eliza EDGE - ex NZANS

CHRISTCHURCH (Sydenham/Featherstone) Cemetery; block 38C, lot 61-62 - Margaret Hepple THOMPSON, HAMILTON East Cemetery; Soldiers Sect. 10; row 1; Phoebe M. REYNOLDS, NZANS

NELSON; Wakapuaka Cemetery; Anglican block 17, plot 13; Ethel Hannah BARNES, NZANS

SOUTHLAND; Invercargill, Wallacetown Cemetery; plot 37, section I - William LIND has an inscription re his daughter Lily LIND, NZANS

Stephen - you are already one of my star contributors and have pretty near exhausted my wants around Wigan. Two possibles are still there depending on whether you want an urban one which is fairly quick to get at but may take some finding or a semi rural one which has a smaller cemetery. So :-

EDENFIELD; Edenfield Churchyard; 290; Eliza Jane REEVES, QMAAC. Edenfield would mean going through Bolton and catching the A676 which would take you directly there. Six CWGC cared for graves but no certainty that Eliza has a CWGC headstone. The closest other one is WW2 grave 237 so nothing to guide you in on. I have found a website showing three CWGC headstones in this cemetery so I am guessing that it will be a private one which wasn't spotted.

PENDLEBURY; Pendlebury (St. Augustine Of Canterbury) Churchyard; 1128. Ellen Bella HAMER, QMAAC. This would mean either catching the M61 and joining the M62 to junction 14 or going south east and meeting the A580 which will take you there. There are 4 cemeteries (at least) at Pendlebury so care needed. St Augustine has 16 CWGC cared for graves. Of these H. Bromwich is in 1138, T. Davies is in 1131 and T. Mulliner is in 1134 so finding this little grouping of CWGC headstones you will be close to the grave of Ellen.

I shall understand if time shortage means that you want to leave them.

PrivateParts - Here are all of the ones still to get in Ayrshire. Geography is not one of my strong points so I will leave it to you as to whether you can reach any of them without too much difficult/expense. Please remember to look on any local war memorials too as I am getting names off these where appropriate.

ARDROSSAN; Ardrossan Cemetery; S. A. 18; Mary Thomson KERR, TFNS

AYR; Ayr Cemetery; J. 3515; Ellen Graham Thomson, QMAAC

CORSOCK; Corsock United Free Churchyard; J.A. BALLANTYNE, QMAAC

DALBEATTIE; Dalbeattie Cemetery; 4A. 1st Extn. 23; Jeannie Turnbull WRIGHT, QMAAC

OLD CUMNOCK; Old Cumnock Cemetery; Agnes ROSS; nurse - unit not known; died 5/1/1918, not CWGC - also check local war memorial for Agnes Kerr EARL, VAD, who died in Yugoslavia

TcM59 - Here are the ones for Lincolnshire

BILLINGHAY; Billinghay (St. Michael) Church Cemetery; Nellie WILLSON, QAIMNS

BOSTON; Boston Cemetery; S. 565; Elizabeth BEARDSALL, WRNS

GRANTHAM; Grantham Cemetery; 16. 38; Alice Frances WILSON, WRAF

MISTERTON; Catherine Hannah JOLLANDS; civilian nurse in local churchyard and, unusually, on local war memorial as Nurse K. Jollands (both grave and memorial naming required)

NORTH RAUCEBY; North Rauceby (St. Peter) Churchyard; 6. 98; Lucie Emma CLARKE, WRNS

NORTH SOMERCOTES; North Somercotes Cemetery; 27. 43; Betsy CARY, QMAAC and North Somercotes Cemetery; 27. 45; Hilda CARY, QMAAC. Died three days apart and almost certainly sisters. There must be an interesting story here - perhaps a motor accident or fire. I have yet to find out.

wrong part of Lincs for me - might be able to get the Grantham one for you in a few weeks time as passing through - I'll Pm you before hand Jim

What is the name required in Dalry Cemetery Edinburgh? I go along that way every couple of months or so and could try to find it for you.

Kevin

BJay (Barbara)

I hesitate to give you my London ones, as much as I would like to, as I have given the list out to ChrisC and I would hate for you both to arrive at the same grave at the same time to photograph it for me. Perhaps you could PM him and liase to see if one of you is closer than the other on some of them.

My Surrey ones are :-

Brookwood Military Cemetery; plot II. H. I; Louisa Ellen SPEEDY, NZANS

Fulham New Cemetery; FC 306; Rose ROSEMAN, Australian Munition Worker

Kingston-Upon-Thames Cemetery; C. 3835; Annetta Ellen BROAD, WRAF

Streatham Park Cemetery; 9. 10613; Louisa ALLEN, WRAF

K.F. Kelly (Kevin)

The Dalry one :-

Edinburgh (Dalry) Cemetery; R. 339; Jessie Smith JAMIESON, TFNS

Jim

No worries about the London ones, Fulham and Streatham come in the category of South London, although I'm sure the only problem ChrisC and I would have in meeting, is who had the better camera.

Kingston and Streatham are both reasonably close to me but they are in different directions, and I have had a look on the CWGC website for the location of the Brookwood Cemetery and there appears to be limited access due to renovation work from 10/7/06, so it may take a while.

Happy to help out, I will send you a PM when I have a photo for you.

Barbara