Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim.

Happy to help if any are in the Croydon/South London area.

Neil

Jim.

If you supply me with names, I'm happy to do East Lancs,N.Manchester and (the westernmost)West Yorkshire regions.

Dave.

• 1 year later...

Jim... Hoping you're still active on the Forum, how is this project coming. it sounds very interesting. Andy

Hello Andigger. The project is moving along slowly but surely. Some counties are now complete (and even some countries) but this is a long term project dependant on help from others. Bob, I have sent you an email off Forum showing my needs from Essex.

Jim,

I just located this article.

She is buried at Bramshott. Sorry, but I'm too far to take a picture, but here's the grave location info. Nursing Sister Forneri

I'll keep on looking for you,

Marika

(Article dated April 27, 1918/Toronto Evening Telegram)

post-34-1110078738.jpg

Marika, The newspaper article is very welcome. I already have a photograph of Agnes' memorial cross and appreciate that it is a bit far for you to take it !!!

• 1 month later...

Time for an update. All that I have left in France are in 13 locations. These are Le Treport, Le Havre, Dieppe, Paris, Marseilles, Vauxbain, Asnieres-sur-Oise, Godewaersvelde, Malo-les-Baines, Pys, Lille, Cherbourg and Estaires. The only one in Belgium is Namur. I would like to get these for it will then feel as if a milestone has been passed. I have recently had the last photograph of a headstone re Gloucestershire so virtually all of the South and South West are complete with pockets such as Cambridgeshire and Sussex complete too.

I am listing an update of my needs here. It may seem long but many of my requirements are from single destinations.

Anglesey, Argyllshire, Ayrshire, Berkshire, Brecknockshire, Buckinghamshire, Carmarthenshire, Cheshire, Clackmannanshire, Denbighshire, Derbyshire, Dumbartonshire, Dumfriess-shire, Durham, Edinburgh, Essex, Flintshire, Glamorganshire, Hertfordshire, Inverness-shire, Northern Ireland (Armagh, Down, Londonderry and Tyrone), Isle of Wight, Kent, Lancashire, Lincolnshire, London, Merioneth, Middlesex, Midlothian, Monmouthshire, Montrose, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Northumberland, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Peebleshire, Perthshire, Powys, Renfrewshire, Rutland, Stirlingshire, Suffolk, Surrey, Sutherland, West Lothian, Westmoreland, Wiltshire and Yorkshire.

From overseas I need photographs of headstones from Australia (NSW, Victoria and Western Australia), Canada (Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan), Egypt (Alexandria, Cairo and Ismailia), Germany (Cologne), Greece (Kalamaria, Lemnos and Salonika), India (Bombay, Delhi, Kirkee and Madras), Iran (Tehran), Iraq (Baghdad and Basra), Ireland (Cork, Donegal, Dublin, Galway, Leix, Limerick, Louth, Offaly, Roscommon, and Waterford), Israel (Gaza and Jerusalem), Italy (Genoa and Bordighera), Malawi (Mongochi and Zomba Town), New Zealand (Christchurch and Featherstone), Pakistan (Rawalpindi), Russia (Archangel), South Africa (Cape Town, Gauteng, Johannesburg and Potchefstroom), Sri Lanka (Colombo), Tanzania (Dodomo) and Yugoslavia (Chela Kula, Kragujevac and Skopje). If anyone can help me along with my project please contact me and I will give more information as to where the grave or memorial is situated. Thank you. Jim Strawbridge (jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk).

Jim

A short, contemporary article from The Times about Nellie Spindler is attached. There is also a slightly longer article (not to hand) with photo in the Wakefield Express. Have you got that one?

What other info do you have on her? As an ex RAMC man, and a Wakefield lad to boot, I'd like to know more about her.

Good luck with the book. Trust it won't be entitled Fallen Women ?!

Chris

post-3584-1113537262.jpg

Jim

A short, contemporary article from The Times about Nellie Spindler is attached. There is also a slightly longer article (not to hand) with photo in the Wakefield Express. Have you got that one?

What other info do you have on her? As an ex RAMC man, and a Wakefield lad to boot, I'd like to know more about her.

Good luck with the book. Trust it won't be entitled Fallen Women ?!

Chris

PS

I'm having difficulty attaching article. If it fails this time, I'll email it.

Here goes

• Admin

Dear Jim

I've not forgotten the Wlitshire ladies. Can you re send me the location of the grave in Melksham cemetery again please? I had the info in the camera case, but my dear hubby lost it!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Michelle :blink:

Jayne W, Ozzie, Michelle and Gem22 I have sent my requirements directly to you. Chris, I have sent you what I have on Nellie Spindler. Quite an interesting story. And no, the Register is not going to be called "Fallen Women" although for a very brief moment I thought about it not least to see good sales. It will almost certainly be called "She died for Freedom" which are the first four words on the female war memorial plaques.

Jim,

Send me Lincs and Notts and I shall see what I can do on my travels. Also Dodoma and any other TZ ones.

Roop

Hello Ozzie and Roop. Ozzie, I don't know why my previous email didn't get through but I have sent another. Come back again if it still doesn't get through. Roop, similarly an email has been sent. Thank you both for offering to try and get some photographs if convenient.

Jim,

Got your email! What is the time frame on getting these photo's?

Ozzie

Hi Ozzie, My project has a while to run yet so no real hurry. Can be stretched to a year or so, I guess. Regards, Jim

Jim

let me know which Lancashire ones you need

chris

Hello Chris, I have written to you direct. I hope that you can help as I have no offers other than yours from Lancashire so far, Regards, Jim