Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge
49 minutes ago, temptage said:

Jim are you aware of a lady called Cicely (or Cecily) Frances Dorrien-Smith (or Smith-Dorrien) who is named on a grave in St Nicholas Churchyard on Tresco in the Scilly Isles?

Served in the VAD. Died on 18/04/1915 at 10th Base Hospital, Rouen, from bronchitis and pneumonia after contracting measles. I have been told that her body was repatriated by her sister and is buried on Tresco, but something doesnt ring true about it. She has no record on CWGC at either Rouen or Tresco.

Yes, she is one of mine. She was Cicely Frances Smith-Dorien-Smith who was born on the 4th November 1882 at the ancestral home of Tresco Abbey, Tresco, Isles of Scilly. She and her sister travelled to Rouen, France in March 1915 to do their bit manning manning Lady Egerton's Coffee Stall, which, if I recall correctly, was set up at the railway station to provide refreshments and comforts to the soldiers passing through. Cicely, her sister and Lady Egerton were all admitted to 10 General Hospital suffering from measles and bronchitis. Unfortunately, Cicely died and her body repatriated to Tresco where she was buried in the family plot at St. Nicholas' churchyard. She was aged 33. She was not a member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment or one of the recognised quasi organisations that were recognised so her family could take possession of the body and bring her home. Incidently, her grave/headstone is one that I am still after so if you took a photograph of it I would be grateful if you would share it with me.  Regards and keep safe, Jim

35 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Yes, she is one of mine. She was Cicely Frances Smith-Dorien-Smith who was born on the 4th November 1882 at the ancestral home of Tresco Abbey, Tresco, Isles of Scilly. She and her sister travelled to Rouen, France in March 1915 to do their bit manning manning Lady Egerton's Coffee Stall, which, if I recall correctly, was set up at the railway station to provide refreshments and comforts to the soldiers passing through. Cicely, her sister and Lady Egerton were all admitted to 10 General Hospital suffering from measles and bronchitis. Unfortunately, Cicely died and her body repatriated to Tresco where she was buried in the family plot at St. Nicholas' churchyard. She was aged 33. She was not a member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment or one of the recognised quasi organisations that were recognised so her family could take possession of the body and bring her home. Incidently, her grave/headstone is one that I am still after so if you took a photograph of it I would be grateful if you would share it with me.  Regards and keep safe, Jim

Her name was Cicely Frances Dorrien-Smith, not Smith-Dorrien-Smith. This has come about because some of her details list her as Smith-Dorrien but her family were, and still are, Dorrien-Smith. They own the majority of Tresco, and still live there now. Cicely's father built the Church in the 1870's.

The fact that she was over there with her sister would explain how she was able to repatriate and bury her sister within 6 days of her death. So at the time because she wasnt serving in any of the 'known' organisations, that would be why she isnt on the CWGC database. Do you think it might be worth putting her name forward for commemoration?

120024318_10223423728170617_3309302553449821630_n.jpg.172923314013aa4ef3ce0318ddfd7236.jpg

Headstone

119935790_10223423727930611_8305740356627582758_n.jpg.c0089412a12950302e362e4bfcae7f65.jpg

Close up of the wooden screen in St Nicholas Church

120014885_10223423726090565_9126584039326981904_n.jpg.923fec8bec0d682226257f3d11201458.jpg

Full wooden screen in St Nicholas Church

96363451_827392944416080_7815385257900769280_n.jpg.199e366a5793b0d61aff6a59b5ef941e.jpg

Memorial with the Churchyard

96423323_827392964416078_6339718998476718080_n.jpg.8f9c243331d87630a87d1200389a6ee7.jpg

Close up of Memorial

I will try to get better photos of the headstone and Memorial. I am in contact with someone who knows the Dorrien-Smith family, so they are going to ask questions. Might even get a photo of her!

Cicely is on the front row to the left, white blouse, looking that way ----->

Cicely.jpg.66c1d34531e0140416041fe94a8fdbf1.jpg

I have just come across this post so you may weell have all these details already. 

Braintree people killed by Zeppelin L 14.

Bomb dropped on 19 Coronation Avenue killed Mrs Ann Herbert while her daughter and children survived.
Next doors chimney stack fell killing  Alfred Dennington aged 31 years, his wife, Annie, aged 32 years and Ella Maud Hammond (niece), aged 3 years & 6 months

Buried together Black Notley Churchyard.

Not sure where Ann Herbert was buried. I have no notes on that.

Jim Strawbridge
7 hours ago, temptage said:

Her name was Cicely Frances Dorrien-Smith, not Smith-Dorrien-Smith. This has come about because some of her details list her as Smith-Dorrien but her family were, and still are, Dorrien-Smith. They own the majority of Tresco, and still live there now. Cicely's father built the Church in the 1870's.

According to Wikipedia, Cicely's father changed his name in 1872 by Royal Licence from Thomas Algernon Smith-Dorrien to Thomas Algernon Smith-Dorrien-Smith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Algernon_Smith-Dorrien-Smith

Jim Strawbridge
1 hour ago, Debtor said:

I have just come across this post so you may weell have all these details already. 

Braintree people killed by Zeppelin L 14.

Bomb dropped on 19 Coronation Avenue killed Mrs Ann Herbert while her daughter and children survived.
Next doors chimney stack fell killing  Alfred Dennington aged 31 years, his wife, Annie, aged 32 years and Ella Maud Hammond (niece), aged 3 years & 6 months

Buried together Black Notley Churchyard.

Not sure where Ann Herbert was buried. I have no notes on that.

I believe that Mrs Ann Herbert was born as Ann Allen in Sudbury but if you know different I should be pleased to know. Annie Dennington was born Annie Hammond and married Alfred Dennington in 1913. I have failed to find her in any of the three censuses following her birth (1891, 1901 and 1911).

Jim Strawbridge

As my listing of "wants" is several pages back it is time to renew here.

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive,

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote, Cottenham, Mepal

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, New Quay

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery,

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

CHESHIRE, Chester

CUMBRIA, Winster

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst, Wrexham

DERBYSHIRE, Chesterfield, Croxall cum Oakley, Shirebrook, Tibshelf
DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux

DORSETSHIRE, Holt

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Charlton Kings, Leckhampton, Lydney, Oakridge Lynch

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Longford (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane), Ulster (Tullanisken),

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Erith, Folkestone, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bolton, Healey, Manchester, Ormskirk, Turton, Tyldesley

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester,

LINCOLNSHIRE, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Mile End, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor, Norwich

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Nottingham

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradeley, Chasetown, Dudley, Eccleshall, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Stoke -on-Trent, Tettenhall, Tipton, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Caterham, Chessington, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge,
SUSSEX, Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

WARWICKSHIRE, Coventry

YORKSHIRE, Colton, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Redcar, Sheffield, Staithes

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Athens, Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke, Teeswater, Toronto), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Arras, Chaumont, Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches, Troyes
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon, Quin), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Rome

MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas, San Francisco), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Florida (Palatka), Georgia (Atlanta), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Chicago, Evanston, Kewanee, Marion, Norway, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Ellwood, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, West Liberty), Kansas (Peabody), Maine (East Stoneham, Old Town), Maryland (Baltimore), Massachusetts (Arlington, Boston x 2, Foxborough, Malden, Middleboro), Minnesota (Mankato, Maplewood), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Michigan (Detroit), Montana (Butte), New Hampshire (Concord), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Totowa, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, LeRoy, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Schenectady, Suffern), Ohio (Chardon, Cleveland, Kent,), Oklahoma (Mountain View), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Forty Fort, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr, Williamsport, Yeadon), Rhode Island (Providence), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Utah (Salt Lake City), Vermont (Bradford), Virginia (Arlington, Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Stevens Point, Superior)

within past six months -

On :- CAMBRIDGESHIRE (Cottenham 8/20), CHESHIRE (Chester 5/20), LINCOLNSHIRE (Grimsby 3/20), NORFOLK (Norwich 5/20), CANADA Ontario (Teeswater 3/20, Toronto 9/20), U.S.A. Florida (Palatka 8/20), Georgia (Atlants 3/20), Illinois (Chicago 6/20, Norway 4/20), Iowa (West Liberty 8/20), Minnesota (Mankato, 7/20), Maryland (Baltimore 3/20), Massachusetts (Arlington 7/20, Malden 8/20), Michigan (Detroit 5/20), Montana (Butte 3/20), New Hampshire (Concord 3/20), New Jersey (Totowa 7/20),New York (Schenectady 3/20), Ohio (Chardon 8/20, Cleveland 7/20), Pennsylvania  Williamsport 5/20), Wisconsin (Stevens Point 8/20)

Off :- CORNWALL (Isles of Scilly 9/20), DERBYSHIRE (Marston on Dove 6/20, Taxal 6/20), DORSET (Langton Long 9/20), GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Coleford 7/20), LANCASHIRE (Blackburn 9/20, Chadderton 3/20, Ford 8/20, Kirkdale 8/20, Rainhill 8/20), LINCOLNSHIRE (Grimsby 6/20), PERTHSHIRE (Dunblane 6/20), STAFFORDSHIRE (Brindley Ford 6/20, Eccleshall 5/20, Newchapel 6/20), SURREY (Witley 6/20), YORKSHIRE (Halifax 3/20), FRANCE (Le Havre 6/20)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge
32 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I believe that Mrs Ann Herbert was born as Ann Allen in Sudbury but if you know different I should be pleased to know. Annie Dennington was born Annie Hammond and married Alfred Dennington in 1913. I have failed to find her in any of the three censuses following her birth (1891, 1901 and 1911).

Sadly I only found a few notes.

Laptop death has removed many and I am still searching for notes.

If I find anything I will post.

On 19/09/2020 at 10:27, Jim Strawbridge said:

Blackburn Cemetery - Isabella COTTON, VAD, died 21/11/18 and buried in plot 3348, row E, section CE. Photograph of headstone required.

Found the grave (it's actually 3338), unfortunately it's seen better days. I gather it would once have stood as a column.

P1023583.jpg.e806995aee4e74c6a7fb4879d446b1d3.jpg

P1023584.jpg.060d27b15ae6cd2dbf0e17af32a9f9ac.jpg

P1023589.jpg.cb269f5db78efae1e883cbaa9f5e5b20.jpg

Her brother was Pte Arthur Cotton 1663 4th Bn. East Lancs, killed at Gallipoli on 21 June 1915: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/599707/ARTHUR COTTON/

Edited by PaulC78
Jim Strawbridge
1 hour ago, Margaretnolan said:

Jim,

Who are you looking for in Kilkenny?

Margaret

Seems to be an admin error on my part. It was you that kindly fulfilled my requirements. Now amended.

Margaretnolan
32 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Seems to be an admin error on my part. It was you that kindly fulfilled my requirements. Now amended.

No problem Jim.

Jim,

Here is one of Louisa Roy's grave at Langton Long, Dorset. I will email you with a selection. 

Best wishes,

Acknown

1586591316_LouisaRoy1.jpg.e60d20584840fe2f532b0f0537a094ac.jpg