Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

KEVIN

Nothing wrong with my in box so far as I know. Have another go, please.

ROLAND

Delighted to have your approach. Reading has been a vacuum. I have travelled up from South Devon and done some in Berkshire but the metropolis of Reading I have so far steered clear of and was steeling myself for a summer visit. If you are able to get some of these for me I shall be most grateful. The ones that I need in Berkshire are :-

Newbury War Memorial; Lorna FERRIS, Serbia Relief Fund

Reading Cemetery; 26. 15098; Ellen CLARK, WRAF

Reading Cemetery; A/C. Screen Wall; Agnes Mary FRANSHAM, QMAAC

Reading Cemetery; 41. 11967; Elizabeth HOLLIDAY, WRAF

Reading Cemetery; 80. 16489; Annie NEISH, VAD

Reading Cemetery; 3. 13308; Alice Maud RUSSELL, QAIMNS

Reading Cemetery; 55. 14973; Mary Florence Alice SPARKES, WRAF

Will be on the case next week Jim.

Regards,

Roland.

Jim,

Need any more from Nottingham(shire)?

Jim,

Need any more from Nottingham(shire)?

Anthony, Here are my Nottinghamshire wants :-

Farndon Cemetery; plot B. A. 14; Winifred Jane LORD, QMAAC

Forest Town; St. Alban's Church; there is a brass plaque in the church to the memory of Ada Elizabeth YOUNG, VAD

Mansfield; St. Mark's Church War Memorial; (also the Mansfield Shoe Company War Memorial if anyone knows where it is) ; Pollie JEPSON, QMAAC

Nottingham Church Cemetery; Green Holly. 29; Vivian Courtenay CONSTERDINE, QAIMNS

Radcliffe-on-Trent Cemetery; plot B. O. 143; Ethel Rosetta SMITH, Women's Forage Corps

Lenton, I think is in Lincolnshire but there is a tablet in Holy Trinity Church to the memory of Dorothea Mary Lynette CREWDSON, VAD

If you are able to do any of these I should be most grateful, Jim

Jim,

I'll see what i can do.

Can i ask, Pollie Jepson, do you have anything on her?

Will be on the case next week Jim.

Regards,

Roland.

Been v.busy this week but have put aside Mon pm. Pics should be with you Tues am.

Roland.

Jim,

I'll see what i can do.

Can i ask, Pollie Jepson, do you have anything on her?

Pollie's name is not recorded with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission nor recorded on the York Minster panels. Her name, as a QMAAC member, was obtained from a dedicated website to the fallen of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, where she is said to be recorded on the St Mark's Church War Memorial and the Mansfield Shoe Company War Memorial.

Jim,

I can do Newbury for Lorna Ferris. I was just reading about her in the local paper archive yesterday. I will be there on Monday which will save Roland the trip. Let me know if you would like a copy of the obit as well.

Jim,

I can do Newbury for Lorna Ferris. I was just reading about her in the local paper archive yesterday. I will be there on Monday which will save Roland the trip. Let me know if you would like a copy of the obit as well.

Thanks that would save me quite a bit of time.

Roland. :)

Roland and Greyhound. You don't need me. You have sorted it out between you. Thanks. A copy of the obituary, as offered, re Lorna Ferris, would be much appreciated. I have a bit of information from the census, and that she was a Quaker that she had a military funeral in Serbia with horse drawn hearse and a service conducted by priests of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

OK Jim, I'll get the photo tomorrow if the weather's reasonable. Can you remind me of Lorna's date of death? Can't remember which year I was looking at when I saw the article.

Been v.busy this week but have put aside Mon pm. Pics should be with you Tues am.

Roland.

Hi Jim , you`ve got mail .

The only lady i could not locate was Annie Neish but will have another look . Reading graveyard is very large and some parts overgrown.

Any other pals who want any pics from there send PM and i will do my best to find them.

Regards,

Roland.

The initial report of the death of Lorna Ferris, from the Newbury Weekly News, 15 July 1915. (I was hoping to post scans of the original, but the quality is very poor.)

The sad intelligence has been received this week of the death of Miss Lorna Ferris, daughter of Mr and Mrs Henry Ferris, of London road, who volunteered as a nurse in Serbia. Particulars are not yet to hand as to the cause of death, but it is feared that she has fallen a victim to one of the terrible diseases decimating that country. The father was formerly colour-sergeant of the Newbury Volunteers, and on the outbreak of war placed his services at disposal. He went with the Berks Territorials into training, but the authorities failed to find any position in which he could serve his country.

The lengthy report of the funeral follows - sounds like quite a do!

From the Newbury Weekly News, 29 July 1915.

The funeral of Nurse Lorna Ferris, daughter of Mr and Mrs Henry Ferris of Newbury, led to an event which the “Church Times” thinks should be put on record. For the first time in the history of Serbia, an English service was held in a Serbian church. Those who are learned in precedents will be able to correct the presumption, if it is misplaced, but it is imagined that this is the first time that an English Church service has been held in any church of the Eastern Orthodox Communion. If so, it forms one more link, and a link of great importance, in the chain of friendship which is being formed between the Anglican and the Orthodox Churches of the East. Kraguyevatz, where Sister Ferris died, is the headquarters of the Serbian Army and of the Crown Prince of Serbia, its chief. The authorities arranged to give her a funeral with military honours, and asked if the English would like to have their own service in the principal church, the Cathedral of Kraguyevatz. They gladly assented, and the permission of the Metropolitan of Belgrade was sought. The reply of his Altitude was characteristically generous and charitable: “Let them do in our church exactly as they would do in their own church at home.”

The church was arranged on July 5, according to the custom here, with a candle surrounded by flowers in the midst under the dome. The hearse was preceded by the Crown Prince’s band, and was followed by the members of the Stobart Hospital in their uniforms, by two representatives of the Crown Prince, his Secretary and the Captain of his bodyguard, by three Serbian priests, the British, French and Russian military attaches, and by many doctors and nurses, Serbian, British, French and Russian, as well as by other civil and military officials, the British chaplain walking in his surplice behind the hearse and holding a taper according to the Serbian custom. The procession, thus composed, walked to the church, and thence, after that part of the Anglican Burial Service ordered by the rubric for use in church, had been said, it proceeded through the town to the cemetery, an hour’s march in all.

Particulars of Nurse Ferris’s death have been received in a letter from the superintendent of the hospital, who wrote: “She contracted typhoid, with several others of the staff, on June 7th. She had a relapse, and hemorrhage set in and she passed peacefully away on July 4th. She was universally loved in the unit, and is genuinely missed and regretted by all. She was a splendid nurse, and with a natural gift for languages, had made wonderful progress in the Serbian language, and was therefore a great favourite with her Serbian soldier patients. She had a brave spirit, and indeed she kept at work and said nothing of feeling unwell for two or three days before she went to bed.”

Thank you, Greyhound. Most enlightening. I am not sure how the family would have felt about Lorna having what appears to be a C of E conducted military funeral. Lorna was a Quaker. But I guess, under the circumstances, any properly conducted service is better than none. I have often wondered what the difference is between a military and a civil funeral service. I am guessing that 1) the coffin is borne by uniformed soldiers (with or without a gun carriage), 2) there are no hymns and 3) there would normally be a volley fired over the grave. Can anyone think of any other major differences?

• 2 weeks later...

Perthshire, Blair Atholl, Kathleen STEWART, VAD

Dear Jim,

No luck, I'm afraid. We found 2 graveyards in Blair Atholl itself and also 1 by the castle. Lots of Stewarts but we did not spot Kathleen. I'll e-mail you later with the information we did gain.

Regards

Kevin

Hello

any gravestones need photographing in Oswestry and surrounds please let me know

regards

Amanda

Does anyone know why many photos etc that are posted, fail to appear on the pages that I view of forum replies?

Jim,

Willing to cover Northumberland (or share with any other offers as a vast area) Monuments / Headstones....toffo

KEVIN

Thank you for what I know to have been hours of hunting for Kathleen Stewart. Possibly an unmarked grave. Time to give up on her I think.

AMANDA

Shropshire requirements are now complete but thanks for the offer which is much appreciated.

TOFFO

I have sent you by PM my four requirements from Northumberland. I hope that they are in striking distance.

Jim

I have just emailed you Ethel Smith - Nottingham

Can you let me know which other Notts ones you still need please

Don't want to waste fuel if you already have them

Cheers

Gary

Jim

I have just emailed you Ethel Smith - Nottingham

Can you let me know which other Notts ones you still need please

Don't want to waste fuel if you already have them

Cheers

Gary

Gary, I have sent them on to you by direct email. You have almost cleared Nottinghamshire for me single handed. Much appreciated. Jim

Jim,

Have just emailed you Georgina Drysdale, Tynemouth, let me know if you come across anymore you need in my area.

toffo

Jim,

Have just emailed you Georgina Drysdale, Tynemouth, let me know if you come across anymore you need in my area.

toffo

Safely received. Thank you, Toffo.

jim,

have just emailed you Barbera Ramsay Todd & Jemima Wilson from St.Andrews Jesmond....toffo

Perthshire, Blair Atholl, Kathleen STEWART, VAD

Dear Jim,

I think we may be at the end of the line with this unless someone comes up with new information. I called the Perth and Kinross Council where one of the staff kindly searched their database of burials. She tried all kinds of alternative spellings but with no luck. I left my e-mail address in case anything comes up but it is a slim hope.

Regards

Kevin