Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Bostonwayne. Thank you. Would you please send direct a copy of the Bellamy headstone with maximum pixel density that you have, please. I cannot believe that I haven't provided you with all of my Burngreave Cemetery requirements. They are :-

Ann Coogan, section NN, grave 252

and this will hopefully include Margaret Taylor in the same grave

Eliza Ann Harrison and Vera Harrison, section KK, grave 1201

and this will hopefully include Elsie Mary Rhodes, Nellie Rhodes, Phyllis Irene Rhodes in the same grave

Martha Shakespeare, section K5, grave 23 (grave is multi populated with Lapidge x 2, Moore, and Shakespeare x 3)

Sarah Southerington, section VI, grave 35 (buried with her husband)

Amelia (or Emelia) Tyler and Selina Tyler, section KK, grave 1199

Eliza Willis, section KK, grave 1195 (grave contains Willis x 3, Pashley baby)

(you mention that no headstone for Mrs Willis but would be grateful for a photograph of the plot, anyway, hopefully with a feature in the background that might help a relative find it)

I will send you the photos I took Sunday. They are Elizabeth bellemy the Tyler family headstone and plot kk1195 for Eliza Willis. At the minute plot kk 1195 has a cwgc headstone for Eliza Willis son Harry with no mention of Eliza. What about Beatrice hames and Alice Newton have you a photo of their graves 

I have just checked the parish registers and Margaret Taylor is buried with Ann Coogan and the Rhodes woman are buried with the Harrison's. I will try to find these graves on Sunday 

23 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

I will send you the photos I took Sunday. They are Elizabeth bellemy the Tyler family headstone and plot kk1195 for Eliza Willis. At the minute plot kk 1195 has a cwgc headstone for Eliza Willis son Harry with no mention of Eliza. What about Beatrice hames and Alice Newton have you a photo of their graves 

Beatrice Hames is in grave 5247, section F, Abbey Lane Cemetery, Sheffield. I had a photograph of the grave off Ancestry but my efforts to get to the owner of the copyright has failed. So, again, it is one that I require.

Alice Newton - good spot. I had her in Burgreave Cemetery and my search facility missed her. Now amended to Burngreave Cemetery and, yes, it is one that I require (grave 462, section BB).

Hi Jim,

Quite some time ago you asked me to look for Olga Milne Fisher, sorry for taking such a long time but it's bad news I'm afraid, called Trafford Bereavement Services and they have no record of a burial for 'Olga Milne Fisher' in any Trafford cemeteries (including Sale or Hale). Who have are you looking for in Handbridge (Chester)?

Jim,

Finally I made it to Chippenham. Lilian Annie Stevens is in Plot D16 in St. Paul's Churchyard. Her grave consists of a rectangular, kerbed memorial that is now almost completely overgrown. There is no headstone in evidence. On this photograph, I have indicated in red the approximate extent of the kerb. I will PM you with more pictures.

Best wishes,

Acknown

LA_STEVENS_ANNOTATED.JPG.22e9330c3717641e352e53a1974312a8.JPG

23 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Jim,

Quite some time ago you asked me to look for Olga Milne Fisher, sorry for taking such a long time but it's bad news I'm afraid, called Trafford Bereavement Services and they have no record of a burial for 'Olga Milne Fisher' in any Trafford cemeteries (including Sale or Hale). Who have are you looking for in Handbridge (Chester)?

Thank you for looking for Olga Fisher. As to Handbridge, I am looking to get a photograph of the grave of Lily Harriet Selby, ex WRAF, who died in 1919 and is buried in Overleigh Old Cemetery, Overleigh Road, Handbridge, Cheshire

Findagrave has Olga Milne Fisher buried in Southern Cemetery, Chorlton-Cum-Hardy, Metropolitan Borough of Manchester. Plot G Consecrated 309. See: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/159416913. Am I missing something?

Acknown

13 hours ago, Acknown said:

Findagrave has Olga Milne Fisher buried in Southern Cemetery, Chorlton-Cum-Hardy, Metropolitan Borough of Manchester. Plot G Consecrated 309. See: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/159416913. Am I missing something?

Acknown

It is a while since I searched for her. Well done. As there is no photograph on FAG I assume that they have populated their site from a core source and since I last looked on there.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Kenny.bell said:

Hello Jim. 

What do you need in Dumfries? 

Regards 

Kenny 

Hello Kenny, A newish one. In St. Michaels Cemetery, Dumfries is the grave of Christina Stevenson Carroll Caldow (known as Ina), munition worker, who died 18th December 1915. Munition workers normally came from the poorest in society so often their family could not afford a headstone. I hope this one will have one as she actually worked in an aircraft factory varnishing the skins of aircraft and died from the fumes.   Jim

Jim,

Have you got images already for these two?

Reedham War Memorial in Norfolk has "Susaanah Hall Q.M.A.A.C" listed on one of the Great War faces.  On CWGC she is recorded as Worker 11900 Annie Hall, died 23/03/1919 and buried at Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille.

The Old Cemetery at Caister on Sea, Norfolk has the headstone of Violet Meal "Queen Mary's Army who died April 3rd 1920 from illness contracted on active service at Audruicq, France, aged 31 years."

The pictures are taken, they are just in the pile waiting to be researched.

regards

Peter

16 hours ago, PRC said:

Jim,

Have you got images already for these two?

Reedham War Memorial in Norfolk has "Susaanah Hall Q.M.A.A.C" listed on one of the Great War faces.  On CWGC she is recorded as Worker 11900 Annie Hall, died 23/03/1919 and buried at Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille.

The Old Cemetery at Caister on Sea, Norfolk has the headstone of Violet Meal "Queen Mary's Army who died April 3rd 1920 from illness contracted on active service at Audruicq, France, aged 31 years."

The pictures are taken, they are just in the pile waiting to be researched.

regards

Peter

Peter,

The name of Susanah Hall was only placed on the Reedham War Memorial in 1995. I have a photograph of it from a newspaper article but, by it's nature, is not the best so if you have one it would be appreciated. As for Violet Meal, that is one that I have. The CWGC adopted her grave in 2014 but as the existing headstone is extant and in quite good order I don't think that they will consider adding their own.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, wandsworth said:

HI 

What is required in Dawlish and Plymouth 

Wandsworth, That's a very good question. The reason that I say that is because I live about three miles from you and I am surprised that I have not cleared them up myself.

DAWLISH - In 2018 I heard that the name of Margaret Jane Fortescue, Canadian Army Medical Corps, was to be added to the town war memorial.

PLYMOUTH - Lilian Norah Pearce, Voluntary Aid Detachment died 19th November 1918. Her grave was adopted by the CWGC in 2017. Previous searches have failed to find her and I have assumed that she was without a grave marker. Now, with the CWGC involvement, I am hopeful that she will be located (after all, we now have a plot number) and that a CWGC headstone will be erected. I know that this exercise takes time so their headstone may (or may not) be now in place.

Also Trinnette Taylor, Women's Royal Naval Service, was accepted by the CWGC in 2012. Her name was to be added to the Plymouth Naval Memorial but I don't know if this has been done so. Seven years have passed and I will be surprised if it hasn't.

On 27 January 2019 at 21:24, bostonwayne said:

We'll be coming in on the a2 I think swanscombe would be best 

Hello Bostonwayne.

I have only just seen this and am curious about how you got on. I have tried several times to find Grace Gordon Jones in Gillingham, but the map provided by Medway council seems to be incorrect. Also, Kate Wood in Swanscome, as I have had no luck contacting the Rectory for details. Did you have any success getting information about the graves, and more importantly did you find them?

Regards, Steve.

Edited by Ex-boy
Mis-spelling

8 hours ago, Ex-boy said:

Hello Bostonwayne.

I have only just seen this and am curious about how you got on. I have tried several times to find Grace Gordon Jones in Gillingham, but the map provided by Medway council seems to be incorrect. Also, Kate Wood in Swanscome, as I have had no luck contacting the Rectory for details. Did you have any success getting information about the graves, and more importantly did you find them?

Regards, Steve.

Steve, I am sure that Bostonwayne will come along in due course but I can confirm that he did "snap" Grace Gordon Jones' grave marker for me but not Kate Wood.

11 hours ago, Ex-boy said:

Hello Bostonwayne.

Regards, Steve.

Hi Steve. I only had time to look for Grace Jones grave. I live in Barnsley go to the football matches all over the country but this means I only have about an hour to look. I do remember this cemetery though and there is a bit in the middle with just black military graves in it. They are in rows and you are looking for row 17 grave 888. Rows are marked at the end closest the road and she is about 5 graves in. Unfortunately she has a rough stone cross with no writing on it whatsoever. What I did was check the next grave to hers on find a grave and it was 17 887 as I recall. It only took us about 10 minutes to find 

Forgot to say I only take photos on my phone so when I send them to Jim I delete them so no longer have it sorry

6 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Hi Steve. I only had time to look for Grace Jones grave. I live in Barnsley go to the football matches all over the country but this means I only have about an hour to look. I do remember this cemetery though and there is a bit in the middle with just black military graves in it. They are in rows and you are looking for row 17 grave 888. Rows are marked at the end closest the road and she is about 5 graves in. Unfortunately she has a rough stone cross with no writing on it whatsoever. What I did was check the next grave to hers on find a grave and it was 17 887 as I recall. It only took us about 10 minutes to find 

Forgot to say I only take photos on my phone so when I send them to Jim I delete them so no longer have it sorry

Thanks for the quick reply. I will have to go back and find Grace's grave, using your description and find out where I have gone wrong previously. I was on the hunt on Jim's behalf, so the job is now done but I won't be able to rest until I see the marker.

On the Swanscombe grave, do you have any information that might enable me to track it down, again on Jim's behalf? I've left messages at the Rectory and had no reply, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Regards, and thanks again,

Steve.

10 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Steve, I am sure that Bostonwayne will come along in due course but I can confirm that he did "snap" Grace Gordon Jones' grave marker for me but not Kate Wood.

Thanks Jim. You will have seen Bostonwayne's reply and I would just confirm that I will stick with the hunt for Kate Wood. If you still have one to get in Sheerness, that could be one I can have a go at too if you send the details.

58 minutes ago, Ex-boy said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I will have to go back and find Grace's grave, using your description and find out where I have gone wrong previously. I was on the hunt on Jim's behalf, so the job is now done but I won't be able to rest until I see the marker.

On the Swanscombe grave, do you have any information that might enable me to track it down, again on Jim's behalf? I've left messages at the Rectory and had no reply, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Regards, and thanks again,

Steve.

I'm sorry but as I say I live in Barnsley and only have a short time to search so never  bothered searching in swanscombe