Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

15 minutes ago, MrEd said:

Angmering, Horsham and Arlington are all within striking distance of me (but not at the same time) 

what is it you need and what sort of timescale?

ANGMERING - Janet Dixon Clare BALL, VAD, died December 1916. According to a newspaper report in a local newspaper she was buried on the 2nd January 1917 in Angmering. Amgmering, according to Wikipedia, is a large village but I am hoping that it only has one cemetery and that the graves are laid out in some sort of date order making the grave easy to find.

HORSHAM - Etta Grace HARRIS, civilian casualty, killed 16th December 1914 in the Hartlepool bombardment. There was a marble memorial plaque in Christ's Hospital School, Horsham. The school was demolished in the 1980s and the plaque is now on the wall of the chapel there.

ARLINGTON - Marie Elizabeth SHOOSMITH, munition worker, died 17th January 1917. Buried in Arlington according to a local newspaper report.

Sorry that I haven't got full chapter and verse on the above (yet). Timescale - no hurry whatsoever.

13 minutes ago, Myrtle said:

Jim

What are your Kensington and Kensal Green requirements ? 

Hello Myrtle, Nice to hear from you again.

KENSINGTON - May FAIRS, a civilian died 26th May 1915 from shrapnel. I have her as buried in Brompton cemetery, Kensington. Not sure if Brompton is considered part of Kensington.

KENSAL GREEN - Ellen BROWN, VAD, died 29th October 1921is buried in Kensal Green Cemetery in the same grave as Florence Maud Brown (February 1955, Harry's second wife) and Harry Percy Brown (November 1953). Harry managed to be buried with both of his wives.

- Vivyan BURY, Serbian Relief Fund, died 16th August 1915 and buried in Kensal Green Cemetery.

- Edith CUTHELL, VAD, died 24th November 1918 (aged in her 70s) and buried in Kensal Green Cemetery.

- Oona Grace GROGAN, VAD, died 29th November 1920, aged 32. Buried in Kensal Green Cemetery.

- Margaret Alice Hamilton HILL, VAD, died 1915 and buried in Kensal Green Cemetery. In the same grave are Norma H.S. Reid (buried February 1914) and James Henry G. Hill (buried February 1913).

- L.S. WILLIS. This is a bit of a mystery. A war memorial in South Africa shows as "Nursing Sister L.S. Willis. Died in England). Research has shown that she is probably the Lucia S. Willis (aged 31) who died in the 1st Q 1918 in Marylebone and is buried in Kensal Green Cemetery.

Regards, Jim

Jim,

I've still got the location of (the overgrown) Lilian Annie Stevens's grave in Chippenham but my planned trip did not materialise. If anyone is going there, I can pass on the details. I might get there yet.

What do you need from Berkeley, Glos?

Acknown

1 hour ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

ANGMERING - Janet Dixon Clare BALL, VAD, died December 1916. According to a newspaper report in a local newspaper she was buried on the 2nd January 1917 in Angmering. Amgmering, according to Wikipedia, is a large village but I am hoping that it only has one cemetery and that the graves are laid out in some sort of date order making the grave easy to find.

HORSHAM - Etta Grace HARRIS, civilian casualty, killed 16th December 1914 in the Hartlepool bombardment. There was a marble memorial plaque in Christ's Hospital School, Horsham. The school was demolished in the 1980s and the plaque is now on the wall of the chapel there.

ARLINGTON - Marie Elizabeth SHOOSMITH, munition worker, died 17th January 1917. Buried in Arlington according to a local newspaper report.

Sorry that I haven't got full chapter and verse on the above (yet). Timescale - no hurry whatsoever.

Okay will see what I can do

ed

3 hours ago, Acknown said:

Jim,

I've still got the location of (the overgrown) Lilian Annie Stevens's grave in Chippenham but my planned trip did not materialise. If anyone is going there, I can pass on the details. I might get there yet.

What do you need from Berkeley, Glos?

Acknown

I need a photograph showing the name of Phoebe Elizabeth Meadows said to be on the war memorial in St. Mary's church, Berkeley.

Hello Jim

I will have a look for your list at Kensal Green and get back to you. Do you have any of the grave references ? Brompton is regarded as Kensington.

15 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I need a photograph showing the name of Phoebe Elizabeth Meadows said to be on the war memorial in St. Mary's church, Berkeley.

http://waltertheraleigh.blogspot.com/2015/10/berkeley-war-memorial.html

Acknown

12 hours ago, Myrtle said:

Hello Jim

I will have a look for your list at Kensal Green and get back to you. Do you have any of the grave references ? Brompton is regarded as Kensington.

Sorry, You have everything that I have. I am not expecting you to, but if you plan visiting the records office I could give you a further list of women I know who died locally and are possibly in the cemetery. As Yoda would say "Cheeky I amI".

An update of my photograph requirements

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Holyhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive, Wycombe

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Handbridge

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

CUMBRIA, Winster

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst

DERBYSHIRE, Croxall cum Oakley, Shirebrook, Taxal
DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux, Withycombe

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Pelton, Willington

ESSEX, East Ham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Charlton Kings

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HAMPSHIRE, Alverstoke, Portsdown, Southampton (Old Cemetery)

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane)

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Crayford, Dover, Eltham, Folkestone, Gillingham, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Rochester, Sheerness, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Blackburn, Bolton, Chadderton, Healey, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Ormskirk, St. Helens, Turton, Tyldesley, Wigan

LEICESTERSHIRE, Barrow upon Soar, Leicester

LINCOLNSHIRE, Blyton, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Downham Market

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene, Northampton (Dallington)

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Nottingham
PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

SOMERSET, Bridgwater
STAFFORDSHIRE, Alrewas, Bradley, Brindley Ford, Chasetown, Newchapel, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Chessington, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Witley
SUSSEX, Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Burley in Wharfdale, Halifax, Horsforth, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Leeds (Beckett Street), Low Moor, Redcar, Scarborough, Sheffield, Skipton, Staithes

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Fox River, +12), Ontario (Brantford, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Cork (Kinsale), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Kilkenny (Kilkenny), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Superior)

On :- BERKSHIRE (Sunninghill 9/18), DERBYSHIRE (Croxall cum Oakley 9/18), ESSEX (Southend 12/18), FIFESHIRE (Cupar 11/18), HAMPSHIRE (Portsdown 9/18), IRELAND, N. (Co. Fermanagh, Derrybrusk 8/18), KENT (Hythe 12/18, Lewisham 12/18, Sheerness 12/18, Sydenham 12/18), LANCASHIRE (Bury 9/18, Ormskirk 10/18, St. Helens 9/18), LEICESTERSHIRE (Barrow upon Soar 12/18, Leicester 11/18), LINCOLNSHIRE (Well 12/18), LONDON/MIDDLESEX (Chingford (11/18), Cowley 12/18, Fulham 11/18, Newham 12/18, West Norwood 9/18), NORTHAMPTONSHIRE (Northampton 12/18), SOMERSET (Bridgwater 8/18), STAFFORDSHIRE (Alrewas 9/18), SUFFOLK (Saxtead 9/18), SUSSEX (Angmering 9/18, Hastings 10/18), CANADA (Alberta 8/18, Ontario (Kingstone 8/18. Sherbrooke 8/18), Ireland (Kilkenny)

Off :- BERKSHIRE (Wokingham), CARNARVON (Portmadoc 9/18), DORSETSHIRE (Holt 10/18), FIFESHIRE, (Cupar 12/18), GWYNNED (Bangor 9/18), LANCASHIRE (Ashton in Makerfield, 9/18, Bury 1/19, Eccles 9/18, Pendlebury 1/19), SURREY (Betchworth 8/18, Chiddingfold 8/18)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

22 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Sorry, You have everything that I have. I am not expecting you to, but if you plan visiting the records office I could give you a further list of women I know who died locally and are possibly in the cemetery. As Yoda would say "Cheeky I amI".

I don’t promise anything but send the list anyway. Kensal Green is a very large cemetery 🤔

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Cork (Kinsale), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Kilkenny (Kilkenny), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,

Hello Jim,

I sent you photos of the Names on The Kilkenny World War 1 Memorial at The Peace Park Kilkenny. Just wondering if you received them?

Margaret

2 hours ago, Myrtle said:

I don’t promise anything but send the list anyway. Kensal Green is a very large cemetery 🤔

After a long break from the forum I am back and think I can give you a little help with the Kensal Green graves.

If you take these reference numbers into the office I believe they will be able to identify the graves. (It may be a good idea to phone first and just ask about one, to test the system).

Ellen BROWN  47276

Vivian E BURY  44802 (buried as)

Edith CUTHELL  27413

Oona Grace GROGAN  46999

Margaret A H HILL  37023

L S WILLIS (Lucia S)  45855

I suspect these are maybe reference numbers for the actual Burial Register entries rather than the exact grave numbers.

5 hours ago, Myrtle said:

Others possibly in Kensal Green Cemetery

Alice COTSFORD, munition worker, died 1916. Last address was 40 Bosworth Street, Kensal Road.

Bertha Lydia GUILDER, munition worker, died 31st October 1918.

Charlotte MEAD, munition worker, died 11th October 1916.

Those with a Kensington connection

Yvonne Rachel Ann Helena Daisy BRENT, VAD, died 19th October 1918

Ellen BROWN, VAD, died 29th October 1921Beatrix BRUCE, VAD, died 4Q.1914.

Ethel BULLOCK, munition worker, died 31st October 1918.

Marie Louise FALKNER, civilian, died 1st December 1917.

Doris Gertrude GLEADOW, VAD, died May 1917.

Elsie Wemyss GODBER, VAD, died November 1918.

Edith Caroline GRIFFIN, VAD, died October 1918.

Ellen Frances Adelaide Harriet HARTNELL, VAD, died 3rd April 1920.

Amy Dentan HIRST, VAD, died 29th March 1918. (good chance this one as she was an Australian with no UK ties).

Alice Maud HOARE, munition worker, died 1918.

Lady Sarah Anne KING, VAD, died 2nd April 1918. (Grave also sought by the IFTC team for CWGC commemoration).

Florence Earle LAMONT, air raid casualty, died 17th May 1915.

Mary Ann LASENBY, munition worker, d. 1916

Charlotte MEAD, munition worker, died 11th October 1916.

Emma NEWBOULD, nurse, d. 21st February 1919.

Esther POLAND, VAD, died 13th April 1921.

Helen Mary POPE, VAD, died 4th March 1915.

Frances Ellen RAINSFORD, civilian, died 12th December 1917.

Mildred Isabel REID, VAD, died 10th December 1918.

A.S. Violet ROBERTSON, civilian, died 29th November 1917.(possibly Violet Ann)

Laura WALSH, VAD, died 31st January 1918.

Helen WILKS, Endell Street Military Hospital, died 15th January 1919.

BROMPTON

Camma WALFORD, VAD, died 2Q. 1917 and is buried in Brompton Cemetery.

Jim,

What are your current requirements for Eltham, Beckenham and West Norwood?

Now that winter is on the horizon, I should be back out and around the SE London cemeteries more.

CGM - good to see you back again.

Phil

4 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

Hello Jim,

I sent you photos of the Names on The Kilkenny World War 1 Memorial at The Peace Park Kilkenny. Just wondering if you received them?

Margaret

I replied to you by email on the 25th October thanking you for them. Happy to do so again. Thank you, Jim

1 minute ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I replied to you by email on the 25th October thanking you for them. Happy to do so again. Thank you, Jim

My email address is giving trouble, awful trouble Jim! 

I just wanted to make sure you got them. 

Margaret

9 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley,

Jim - Did you see the link to the blog I alerted you to above?

Acknown 

14 hours ago, Acknown said:

Jim - Did you see the link to the blog I alerted you to above?

Acknown 

Sorry Acknown. I should have acknowledged. Yes, I saw it. It confirms that Phoebe Meadows is on the memorial. My problem is that a) the copyright belongs to someone so I cannot use the image and b) I would prefer less of a panorama view of all the names but a good shot of just the name and a few others either side. When it comes to publication the photos will, by necessity, be quite small and a panoramic view will make any names unreadable.

Hi Jim, I have had problems over the weekend attempting and failing to send photos to your fsnet email address, so I sent a message with no attachments this morning. I understand you may be busy, so when you next look, if there is nothing from me, please let me know.

Steve.

2 hours ago, Ex-boy said:

Hi Jim, I have had problems over the weekend attempting and failing to send photos to your fsnet email address, so I sent a message with no attachments this morning. I understand you may be busy, so when you next look, if there is nothing from me, please let me know.

Steve.

I don't know where you got my fsnet email address from. Freeserve stopped doing email hosting some while ago. I had no choice but to change. I will message you my current email address.direct .

On 26 November 2018 at 17:47, Jim Strawbridge said:

I don't know where you got my fsnet email address from. Freeserve stopped doing email hosting some while ago. I had no choice but to change. I will message you my current email address.direct .

As it was all I had, I used the address you had posted here some time ago. Anyway, what I had tried to send was not all you need, so nothing lost. I have finally got what I hope will pin down both graves and will see if I can get them today. If not, then possibly Friday. Once I have your new address I will send what I have and see if it is OK. 

Steve.