Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

On 04/10/2018 at 11:09, Kenny.bell said:

Hello Jim

Any update regarding Jeanie E. McClymont at Dunblane?

The last we talked, you said

"The CWGC has accepted her for commemoration in July 2016. She is in a multiple family grave (you took the photograph) and I thought that I would just keep her on the list in case she gets her own CWGC headstone. I know that this can take several years."

Best regards

Kenny

PS probably easier to get me via Facebook

On reflection, although she is now commemorated by the CWGC :-

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/75452894/mcclymont,-jeanie-e./

I don't think that she will have a CWGC headstone. If a grave marker exists, as this one does, it is normally the case that the CWGC will not add another one.

That's not right Jim. I have seen plenty of family graves with CWGC headstone later. Here is an example although the CWGC stone has fallen over

20180926_115443.jpg

Boston Wayne. Mine was a general observation. I, too, have seen similar to what you have posted, but from the majority of WW1 graves that I have visited a CWGC headstone is not added where a perfectly adequate grave marker exists.

It could happen although looking at the image above it seems likely that the original marker and kerbing is earlier than the CWGC marker. I recall seeing a grave in Dorset where the family headstone is in the normal place and the CWGC headstone at the foot. Incidently, before someone else mentions it, I recall visiting a graveyard in Oxfordshire (a Quaker one, I think) where the grave markers are traditionally placed at the foot rather than the head of the grave. It was as well that the person showing me the grave mentioned this as otherwise I would have photographed the marker together with a grassy plot of land.

Hello everyone.

I am pretty sure that Agnes Fanny HOLLINSHEAD was NOT the munitions worker identified in a previous post or two. I have a copy of her death certificate and she is listed as a 'Slag Works Labourer'. She was apparently knocked over and killed by a locomotive on the Eston Branch Railway on 27th November 1917.

Best regards

Kevin

AFHollinsheadDC.jpg

Edited by Guest

Kevin, welcome to the forum. Definitely the same one. I have come across similar circumstances before. At the time, women working in normally recognised men's occupations were classed as munition workers. I am not sure if this was a Government requirement to lump them all in together for statistical purposes but it was certainly the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the welcome. I am still a little confused but that is normal for me. Munition worker or slag works worker? Either one would make sense given where she lived. The slag works would be closer to her home but so was the railway station so she may have worked anywhere. The local paper even has her name incorrect.

Regards

Kevin

There have been some amendments since the last listing so I am bringing to the top.

An update of my photograph requirements

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Holyhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive, Wycombe

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Handbridge

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

CUMBRIA, Winster

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst

DERBYSHIRE, Croxall cum Oakley, Shirebrook, Taxal
DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux, Withycombe

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Pelton, Willington

ESSEX, East Ham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Charlton Kings

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HAMPSHIRE, Alverstoke, Portsdown, Southampton (Old Cemetery)

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane)

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Crayford, Dover, Eltham, Folkestone, Gillingham, Hawkinge, Margate, Rochester, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Blackburn, Bolton, Bury, Chadderton, Healey, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Ormskirk, Pendlebury, St. Helens, Turton, Tyldesley, Wigan

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester

LINCOLNSHIRE, Blyton, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Downham Market

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Nottingham
PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

SOMERSET, Bridgwater
STAFFORDSHIRE, Alrewas, Bradley, Brindley Ford, Chasetown, Newchapel, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Chessington, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Witley
SUSSEX, Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Burley in Wharfdale, Halifax, Horsforth, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Leeds (Beckett Street), Low Moor, Redcar, Scarborough, Sheffield, Skipton, Staithes

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Fox River, +12), Ontario (Brantford, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Cork (Kinsale), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Kilkenny (Kilkenny), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Superior)

On :- BERKSHIRE (Sunninghill 9/18), DERBYSHIRE (Croxall cum Oakley 9/18), HAMPSHIRE (Portsdown 9/18), IRELAND, N. (Co. Fermanagh, Derrybrusk 8/18), LANCASHIRE (Bury 9/18, Ormskirk 10/18, St. Helens 9/18), LEICESTERSHIRE (Leicester 11/18. )LONDON (West Norwood 9/18), SOMERSET (Bridgwater 8/18), STAFFORDSHIRE (Alrewas 9/18), SUFFOLK (Saxtead 9/18), SUSSEX (Angmering 9/18, Hastings 10/18), CANADA (Alberta 8/18, Ontario (Kingstone 8/18. Sherbrooke 8/18), Ireland (Kilkenny)

Off :- BERKSHIRE (Wokingham), CARNARVON (Portmadoc 9/18), DORSETSHIRE (Holt 10/18), GWYNNED (Bangor 9/18), LANCASHIRE (Ashton in Makerfield, 9/18, Eccles 9/18), SURREY (Betchworth 8/18, Chiddingfold 8/18)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

21 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

Jim, what are you looking for in County Kilkenny, Ireland republic?

Margaret

I need a photograph of the name of Elizabeth Kelly Parker, QAIMNS, on the war memorial in St. Canices Cathedral, Kilkenny.

Also photographs of all the female names (believed to be at least five) on the memorial wall in Kilkenny Peace Park, Kilkenny.

Also photographs of the female casualties on the Kilkenny War Memorial at MacDonagh Station, Station Road, Kilkenny.

14 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I need a photograph of the name of Elizabeth Kelly Parker, QAIMNS, on the war memorial in St. Canices Cathedral, Kilkenny.

Also photographs of all the female names (believed to be at least five) on the memorial wall in Kilkenny Peace Park, Kilkenny.

Also photographs of the female casualties on the Kilkenny War Memorial at MacDonagh Station, Station Road, Kilkenny.

Elizabeth Kelly Parker’s  name will be on the Memorial at the Peace Park which commemorates 828 men and women who died and will be also on the Memorial at MacDonagh Junction Railway Station which commemorates over 3000 people from Kilkenny who served during the War. I have photos of the panels at the Peace Park. If you need just the name I can get it for you.

I will get the others for you also. 

Margaret

Will be going to Alrewas next week to photograph as per earlier posting

I know you're asking for photographs of headstones, but I thought you might like the attached for your Register - she is Mary Macgill, "Heroine of the Wards". She died in the Military Isolation Hospital, Aldershot. The photograph is from an article about her in T. P. O'Connor's 'Great Deeds of the Great War' (1915).

You may already have it. Indeed, I may have completely missed the point of this thread. I do that. In which case, no harm done!

image.jpg

6 hours ago, Uncle George said:

I know you're asking for photographs of headstones, but I thought you might like the attached for your Register - she is Mary Macgill, "Heroine of the Wards". She died in the Military Isolation Hospital, Aldershot. The photograph is from an article about her in T. P. O'Connor's 'Great Deeds of the Great War' (1915).

You may already have it. Indeed, I may have completely missed the point of this thread. I do that. In which case, no harm done!

image.jpg

Brilliant. Thank you. I did not have a photograph of her so a nice addition.

National Arboretum today - caring hands memorial -  have emailed more photos Jim showing the names and other inscriptions but a few here for members to view7595926F-3C84-42F8-942D-537E24841453.jpeg.0cc3331fcf1d26292597d47cec378ecb.jpeg052879DD-B0F2-463B-99E1-48DA42EAC255.jpeg.00ecbfc1247d8a3ca7f04a235da936d3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

New Zealand Oamaru- I'm no longer in that area BUT if you let me know details I can get in touch with various friends in Dunedin who may be able to have a look if they are ever in Oamaru (long shot TBH but you never know....)

Hello Madmeg, I am after a photograph of the grave of the parents of Isabel Clark. They are buried in Oamatu Cemetery. They were Hugh McFarquhar Clark and Christian Clark. They are buried in the same grave and the inscription on their headstone mentions Isabel Clark (drowned off the Hospital Ship Marquette on the 23rd October 1915 whilst serving with the N.Z. Army Nursing Service).

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

On 05/10/2018 at 11:37, Jim Strawbridge said:

On reflection, although she is now commemorated by the CWGC :-

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/75452894/mcclymont,-jeanie-e./

I don't think that she will have a CWGC headstone. If a grave marker exists, as this one does, it is normally the case that the CWGC will not add another one.

Hello Jim, long time no speak! It is a coincidence that I have found this thread, having been brought back to the Forum by Victoria Florence Whiddett. During some research for you in 2015 I visited Ashford cemetery and sent you photos of graves etc that you requested. During that visit I photographed a grave of a Canadian soldier which was unusual in having two headstones. I have just posted it in the gallery but can not figure out how to post it here. If you or someone else can do it, please carry on, but anyway, the picture is available to view if you wish.

I see you are still looking for graves in Kent and although my time is limited these days I will see if I can do some of the more local ones if you pass me the details.

Regards, Steve.

What do you need from sussex? That’s my patch so can take photos of stuff

19 hours ago, Ex-boy said:

I see you are still looking for graves in Kent and although my time is limited these days I will see if I can do some of the more local ones if you pass me the details.

Steve, I have sent a message direct as to my Kent requirements. Thank you for the offer.

18 hours ago, MrEd said:

What do you need from sussex? That’s my patch so can take photos of stuff

SUSSEX , Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham   These are the places from where I need photographs. Please let me know if any of these are in striking distance and I will be pleased to give you details.

9 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Steve, I have sent a message direct as to my Kent requirements. Thank you for the offer.

SUSSEX , Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham   These are the places from where I need photographs. Please let me know if any of these are in striking distance and I will be pleased to give you details.

Angmering, Horsham and Arlington are all within striking distance of me (but not at the same time) 

what is it you need and what sort of timescale?