Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Well gang, If you don't ask you don't get. I am preparing a register of women who died during or soon after WW1 for eventual publication at my expense. I have virtually all of the names but very few illustrations. If I cannot get a photograph of the lady I am trying to get a copy of her grave headstone or name on the town/village memorial. Their graves are scattered throughout the UK and for that matter the world. I live in Devon and have photographs for Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. I also have Malta covered and various other pockets of the UK where I have visited. But with around 1600 names ANY help would be gratefully received. This is where you come in. If you are prepared to take photographs of these ladies headstones in your locality or holiday destination I should be very pleased to receive them. Just drop me a line at jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk and tell me the area which you can cover I will reply with the town/village and plot locations. I will of course acknowledge the help given against the photograph in the register. For those willing to become involved my grateful thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you. Jim Strawbridge, Devon.

If you need any photos from Cambridgeshire and surroumding couties let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Garth

Jim,

Nurse Daisy Coles. Well known in Edinburgh as a golf and hockey player killed in France by German air bombardment of the hospital where she was nursing the wounded.

regards

Stuart

post-21-1059991390.jpg

Please let me know if there are any in the North Lincs area i can help with. From memory i am nearly sure there was a lady from the village of Wrawby, near Brigg who is remembered on local memorial.

Jim,

Miss Nellie Spindler. Formerly a nurse at Leeds infirmary killed in France by German air bombardment of the hospital where she was nursing the wounded.

regards

Stuart

post-21-1060000541.jpg

Jim

Annie Wheatley of Brighouse West Yorkshire is named on the local war memorial and is buried in Brighouse Cemetery.

I'll get a picture of her grave and I'll also look in the local papers for a picture.

If you know of any other women in Calderdale (Halifax and the surrounding area) let me know and I'll take a photo.

Regards

Rob

Jim - happy to take photos of any graves in the East Surrey area for you if needed

regards

Charles

Hi Jim,

My local memorial names the two below and I can find no trace of either in records I have looked at at the PRO. Do you have anything?

Aye

Malcolm

CONSTANCE M STEELL

War Nurse

Bradford Hospital

(Juniper Green St Andrew's Church)

and

JEANIE A YOUNG

War Nurse

(Currie Church)

Hi Jim,

I am happy to cover North Yorkshire, Cleveland, and Durham areas if thats any help to you. Leave message here or e mail me off list.

Regards

Peter.

Jim,

Margaret Ellen Evans, (of the VAD, attd 83rd Hospital) is commemorated at All Saints Church, Stamford, Lincs.

There is a photo of this memorial on the Memorials/Cementries section of the forum.

I'll be in the area later in the year, should you need a better photo.

Jim

Jim,

Mrs K.M. Harley. Killed at Monastir.

"Mrs Harley , Viscount French's sister, was decorated with The Crois de Guerre by General Sarrail, at Salonika, last year. After service with the Scottish Women's Hospital in France, Mrs Harley proceeded to Serbia in charge of a unit at the time of the evacuation of that country , and had been doing untiring work there when, on March 7th, while with an ambulance at Monastir, she was struck by a piece of shell and died almost immediately."

regards

Stuart

post-21-1060174025.jpg

Happy to cover most of North Wales. I'm certain there's a QM Nurse in Bodelwyddan Cemetery which is only a ten minute drive away (Bodelwyddan served Kinmel Camp).

(Stuart - where are all those excellent photo's from?)

Guest peter johnson

Jim

Nurse: Katherine Farrars Kinnear, VAD from the Ripon area, N,Yorks Will send details as soon as i have a moment

Peter

(Stuart - where are all those excellent photo's from?)

Hello Andrew,

They are from various "The War Illustrated. A weekly picture record of events by land sea and air" magazines published during the war by Hammerton, also found in bound volumes. It appears that most issues carried one page of identifiable personnel although this cannot be confirmed. Consists of photographs and artist's impressions on relatively poor quality newsprint.

regards

Stuart

Guest peter johnson

Jim

That was my spelling mistake, you seem to have most of the info that i have. I wrote to the Red Cross last year and they sent me all the details they have on Katherine, which isn't much but as soon as i can find it i will pass it on to you. I dont suppose you have a picture?

Regards

Peter

Jim I have Annette Prevost and the three on the Chatham Naval memorial, including some general photos of teh memorial itself. At present trying to work out a plan for the rest of Kent! I will be in contact by email.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank the Great War Forum Users who have so generously offered their time and energy in helping me with my project. I have already received photo images from across the UK and indeed my computer has been "red hot". Up to this point I should have already been in touch with all those that have kindly offered to assist. If not then please get in touch with me at jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk

That goes for any new offers of assistance to photograph WW1 headstones to female "casualties". If anyone wants to have any particular images that I have received, for their own researches, just let me know. But once again, many thanks to the Forum Users, too many to mention here (but you know who you are), who are helping me along with my project.

Jim Strawbridge

Jim, my home base unit is in for "repair" but I should have it back tonight and will then email you scans of Nurse Prevost's grave (I also have scans for Will and Jolly Jack to send in case tehir reading this). If I can fit in some of the other Kent ladies I certainly will, however it would be appreciated if you could keep us informed via the Forum on yr progress to publication. I made a comparative study on the changing role of women during WW1 and WW2 a few years ago and so have an interest in yr subject matter.

All teh best with yr project,

Sigs

Jim,

Is there anyone I can help you with in Northampton?

I live in the Thames Valley area and can get out and take any photos you need from this area.

Can cover Oxon, Wilts, Berks, Bucks - yell me if you need me :)

Fleur