Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regt War Diaries

Roy Evans

Page 4

Roy Any mention of Lance Corporal 8407 Charles Edwards 1/5th South Staffs killed 24th August 1915 during action on Hill 60.

Thanks

Tim

Roy Any mention of Lance Corporal 8407 Charles Edwards 1/5th South Staffs killed 24th August 1915 during action on Hill 60.

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

He only gets one mention, saying that he had been killed on that day. I'll scan and post the diary for August 1915 as soon as I get the time.

Roy

Roy many thanks

Tim

Tim - Early August 1915

Mid-August 1915

Late August 1915

Roy

I've just aquired the War Diary of 9th (Pioneer) Batt'n South Staffords and now have the following;

1st, 2nd, 4th, 1/5th, 2/5th, 1/6th, 2/6th, 7th, and 9th Battalions.

Happy to do look-ups.

Roy

Hello Roy,

I am seeking any info on my g.grand uncle 9445 Pte Lancaster C.T. 1/5 South Staffs. Died in 1917.

As I have very little anything will do.

Thanking you in anticipation

Cheers B)

G. Hardware

Hello Roy,

I am seeking any info on my g.grand uncle 9445 Pte Lancaster C.T. 1/5 South Staffs. Died in 1917.

Cheers B)

G. Hardware

A link to his MIC here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Where was he from? 1/5th S. Staffs was a Territorial unit based at Walsall.

Jon

Hello Roy,

Cheers B)

G. Hardware

According to the war diary he was wounded on the 5th of February 1917. The CWGC has him dying on the 17th of that month and buried in Mont Huon Military Cemetery, Le Treport. I will scan and post the diary entry later this evening.

Roy

According to the war diary he was wounded on the 5th of February 1917. The CWGC has him dying on the 17th of that month and buried in Mont Huon Military Cemetery, Le Treport. I will scan and post the diary entry later this evening.

Roy

Here is page 1 (of 2)

Page 2

Roy

• 9 months later...

Hi I wonder if you could let me know if there is any mention of my g/father. Pvt 199 thomas david gee 1/5th battalion South staffs . The info I have at present goes as follows:

Enlisted walsall town hall--sent to france 28/6/15--returned home approx 12/1915 with stomach trouble--returned 1916-- died of shrapnel wounds to side 4/4/1916.

many thanks

david gee

David

Unfortunately as is the case for most Other Ranks he is not mentioned in the War Diary.

Regards Doug.

Tod,

I have the following on your man, hope it adds something.

David Thomas GEE

Private 199

“D” Company, 1/5th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Died in France on Tuesday 4 April 1916

David was a married man with five children whose ages ranged from eleven years to two years when he died. Tragically his wife had a baby whilst he was at the front but this died shortly afterwards.

He was born in Bloxwich to Mr and Mrs John Gee, his mother predeceasing him, resided at 7, Foster Street, Blakenall and was employed at the Wood Farm Colliery. His brother, John, is also commemorated on the Walsall roll of honour.

Enlisting in the Army at Walsall in early 1915, David was invalided home from the front with a stomach problem. He recovered sufficiently to return to his battalion.

At the time of his death his battalion were holding trenches at Neuville, north of Arras. The trenches had just been captured from the Germans who were determined to regain possession and were using mines to achieve this.

A letter from an officer to his widow explained that he had been struck in the side by a fragment of shell and had died a few minutes afterwards. This would not appear to be the case as he died several miles from the lines at Aubigny where the 42nd and 30th Casualty Clearing Stations were situated.

Newspapers of the period intimate that David was killed in an explosion of a mine that occurred during Sunday 2 April 1916. It would seem likely that he was injured and was then removed to Aubigny for treatment, but succumbed two days later. He was 38 years of age.

The War Diary for this date records,

“Enemy artillery very active. O.65 and O.63 being heavily shelled. A whiz-bang exploded in O.S.65 killing 3 and wounding 6.”

David is buried in Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension in Grave I.A.22 and is commemorated on the Walsall and Bloxwich rolls of honour.

David is recorded on all official war agencies as ‘Thomas David’,the 1901 census confirms a Christian name of David.

Killed with David in the explosion were Privates 938 Samuel Bates of Walsall Wood, 554 Leonard Sutton of Birmingham and 9254 Archie William Price of Hockley. Also died of wounds was Corporal 7801 George Henry Maybury of Wednesbury.

Graeme

Hi Graeme

Many thanks for the info I am a little unsure of his wound being caused by a mine,following a documentary which said that the primary causes of death from a mine was concussion or burial. Do you think he was more likely hit by the artillery that followed. I have seen an extract from the diaries as you know on the great trail site,which although not as detailed as your full copy indicate some heavy shelling on the 4/4/1916.

I was aware of his brother John but know little of him other than he was in the labour corps and died in 1917.You are correct that my G/Father was actually named David Thomas,my father who wa named after him , but never met him or even saw a photo of him,other than a very grainy copy from the observerPaper.

A little extra information regarding the mine explosion,My great uncle Enoch Davis was also posted as missing on the same explosion,finally being declared dead in 1917 and being commemorated on the thiepville monument,He was My G/Fathers brother in law,my nans brother,they must have been a very traumatic time for her.

Finally I have a small image of the british trenches around Neuville st vaast but there are no trench numbers,do think you may be able to identify them if I can figure out how to attach a file to the Forum

Regards

David Gee

David,

I am sorry I do not have the skill to establish where the actual positions are, perhaps someone else can. You are obviously aware the war diary for 2 April also reads,

"The enemy exploded a mine on the south side of B4 crater. This was immediately followed by a second explosion south west of the same crater. Parties rushing into the crater could not enter; trenches were badly damaged, and several men were in a state of collapse from the fumes. The enemy opened heavy fire with rifle grenades and trench mortars from a sap on the right side of the crater. Also machine-gun fire from the direction of Point 5. We established a bombing post and placed a Lewis Gun on the northern lip of the crater, and dug a communication trench round to O.64. Casualties Lt. Alfred Smith killed and 2/Lt Wilkinson wounded. 5 other ranks killed, 14 wounded, 6 missing, 1 slightly wounded and remained at duty."

Perhaps I wrorte the piece incorrectly, I was not suggesting that he was wounded in the mine explosion, merely mentioning it as the papers had intimated this as a cause of death. I was suggesting that he was wounded 2 days before his death and moved to Aubigy, contrary to the officer's letter which was written to appease the family (quite naturally).

Good luck in your research,

Graeme

Hi graeme .

Firstly may I thank you very much for looking up the information for me ,it is gratefully recieved.Thanks to you I can now add My G/Fathers company and also the more trench numbers than I was previously aware of.The original letter was dated the 6/4/16 and was from a Lt goodison,and unfortunately is becoming fragile and difficult to read,being written on very thin tissue paper .His little green bible and rather large cross(complete with a chunk missing,presumably from the shrapnel,) are however in very good condition.

I have recently had a history book of the 1/6th s.staffs in the great war .printed in1924,It also mentions the incident brriefly.should you wish it I will happily return your kindness and gladly look for information should you want.

I also have in my possession a document of a surgeon /doctor Lt Arthur Clarence Dixon who signed up in 1915 for a pay of 24 shillings a day and a gratuity of £60 on completion .

I have tried to upload the map section from neuville st vaast but it is too big

regards

David

• 8 months later...

Hello Roy,

Could you have a look for me at the 2/5th Bn South Staffordshire Rgt.

A lot of soldiers, died between 10 and 12 december 1917, of this Bn are buried at Ribecourt Road Cemetery, Trescault (Fr) , while Trescault was taken on 20 november 1917. Are they victims of a German counter-attack?

I am especially trying to find details about Private Barraclough Willie, 2/5 th Staffordshire Bn, service n° 45526, killed in action on 12/12/1917 and buried in named cy .

thanks in advance

Marc

• 2 weeks later...
I've just aquired the War Diary of 9th (Pioneer) Batt'n South Staffords and now have the following;

1st, 2nd, 4th, 1/5th, 2/5th, 1/6th, 2/6th, 7th, and 9th Battalions.

Happy to do look-ups.

Roy

could you look up leonard hunt,9129 served in 1st/5th bn south staffs.died 13/10/1915, aged 20,in part of battles around loos ,he was my gt uncle.thank you sally cooper

Hi Roy

I've a very vague request and it's based on this headstone (sorry pic won't load) and CWGC entry

Name: JUKES, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 5th Reserve Bn.

Date of Death: 21/07/1917

Service No: 202155

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Emma Jukes, of 117, Grove Lane, Smethwick, Staffs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: In South-East corner.

Cemetery: TRUSTHORPE (ST. PETER) CHURCHYARD

How did this young man end up in a Mablethorpe cemetery when he and his family came from Staffordshire.

& he's the only burial from WW1 ?

Mel

Mel

Taken directly from Chris Baker's Long Long Trail.

"3/5th and 3/6th Battalions

Formed at home bases in 1915 as "third line" units. Moved to Catterick.

8 April 1916 : renamed 5th and 6th Reserve Bns.

On 1 September 1916, 5th absorbed the 6th Bn. Moved to Lincoln in March 1917 and spent July to December at Mablethorpe."

His death would have been caused by illness or accident.

Regards Doug

SallyJane

I can tell you Private Hunt served in "D" Company at the time of his death.

A bit from the Wd reads

“From 12 noon, Headquarters, ‘A’ and ‘D’ Companies were in the old front line trench between Hulloch Alley and Border Alley; ‘B’ and ‘C’ Companies were in the first line of attack. At 2.10pm the attack went in and ‘B’ Company was enfiladed and shelled. ‘A’ and ‘D’ Companies experienced machine gun and rifle fire from the left. All officers and most men were killed. At 2.20pm the Germans counter attacked Big Willie Trench but were driven back. A second counter attack was also repulsed. Heavy losses among trained bombers led to a slight withdrawal. They were reinforced by a platoon of 1/6th South Staffordshire who, during the night, helped to bring in wounded men from No Man’s Land.”

There is masses on the wb if you 'google' hohenzollern redoubt

Regards,

Graeme