Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regt War Diaries

Roy Evans

Roy

Can you please do a look up for a few days before 10/7/17,researching a man who died of wounds on that day, 8095 Serj W.Hallett M.M.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

Not much help I'm afraid apart from giving the location.

Here are the first nine days of the month,

O Rs were wounded on most days.

Roy

post-336-1134416530.jpg

Roy

Can you please do a look up for a few days before 10/7/17,researching a man who died of wounds on that day, 8095 Serj W.Hallett M.M.

Regards Doug.

Here is the tenth.

post-336-1134416734.jpg

Roy

Thank you very much for the information.

Regards Doug.

Roy-

I'd be very grateful for anything you have (especially war diaries for the actions in which they died) on the following South Staffords officers who came to Winchester College:

Captain Kenneth James MAPLES, 2nd Battalion, killed in action, Festubert, May 16th 1915

2nd Lieutenant Basil John Harrison SCOTT, 2nd Battalion, killed in action, Pilckem, October 23rd 1914

Captain Edward Archibald HUME, 7th Battalion, died at sea August 27th 1915 of wounds received August 25th 1915, Suvla.

Captain Arthur Forbes Gordon KILBY VC was another of our old boys, but I've masses of information about him.

In return I'll happily give you all the information which we hold on these officers (including photos scanned from our roll of honour).

Many thanks,

Shaun

Shaun,

Unfortunately the diary for the 7th Batt'n was lost at sea when leaving Gallipoli and was not restarted until June 1916 so I can't help with that one.

The two 2nd Batt'n men should be staright forward. Give me a couple of days.

Roy

Probably won't add anything to what you know already but this is the Times obituary of Edward Archibald Hume.

The Times 2-9-1915

post-6536-1135022960.jpg

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
Roy-

I'd be very grateful for anything you have (especially war diaries for the actions in which they died) on the following South Staffords officers who came to Winchester College:

Captain Kenneth James MAPLES, 2nd Battalion, killed in action, Festubert, May 16th 1915

2nd Lieutenant Basil John Harrison SCOTT, 2nd Battalion, killed in action, Pilckem, October 23rd 1914

Captain Edward Archibald HUME, 7th Battalion, died at sea August 27th 1915 of wounds received August 25th 1915, Suvla.

Captain Arthur Forbes Gordon KILBY VC was another of our old boys, but I've masses of information about him.

In return I'll happily give you all the information which we hold on these officers (including photos scanned from our roll of honour).

Many thanks,

Shaun

Shaun,

Sorry for the delay in posting - you didn't pick the best time of year to ask! :P

Maples and Scott each have only one mention in the war diaries, being notes of their deaths.

Capt. Maples;

2/Lt. Scott;

• 1 year later...
I've just aquired the War Diary of 9th (Pioneer) Batt'n South Staffords and now have the following;

1st, 2nd, 4th, 1/5th, 2/5th, 1/6th, 2/6th, 7th, and 9th Battalions.

Happy to do look-ups.

Roy

Hello Roy !

I'm trying to find details about 2 possible relatives. The first is L/Cpl John James Spittle , 1st/5th , killed on 01/07/16, and Private Charles Spittle, 1st Bttn , killed on 28/03/17. Any info' would be much appreciated.

Hello Roy !

I'm trying to find details about 2 possible relatives. The first is L/Cpl John James Spittle , 1st/5th , killed on 01/07/16, and Private Charles Spittle, 1st Bttn , killed on 28/03/17. Any info' would be much appreciated.

Hi Jeff,

Further to your PM:

According to the C.W.G.C., Lance Corporal J. J. Spittle of the 1/5th South Staffs was the son of Henry and Hannah Spittle of 14, Dallow Street, Old Hill, Staffs and was 23 years old when he died. He is indeed commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Pier and face 7B.

I don’t have a trench map for that area but there is an excellent diagram and description of the attack in the book ‘One Day on the Somme’ by Barry Cuttell, (ISBN 1 870384 67 9) the cover price is £9.95 but I’m sure that forum member Tom Morgan sells it for less. Another book that I would recommend is an autobiography of a man in the 1/5th North Staffords who were on the immediate left of the South Staffords. For a graphic description of that day I can’t think of a better book. It is ‘Tommy at Gommecourt’ by Thomas James Higgins, (ISBN 1 904546 27 7) at £8.95. I’m not sure if Tom sells this, I got my copy from the Regimental museum.

Again according to the C.W.G.C., Private Charles Spittle of the 1st South Staffs was the son of Benjamin and Nancy Spittle of 42, Alma Street, Wednesbury and was 34 years old. He is as you say; buried in St Leger British Cemetery, grave C.16. St Leger is 12Km South-West of Arras.

Unfortunately the unit’s war diary is less than expansive;

27th March: Battalion relieved 21st Manchester Regt. and took up position in front of St Leger (Sheet 51B) preparatory to attack Croisilles.

28th March: Battalion attacked Croisilles. Casualties: - 6 Officers, 129 other ranks. Relieved by 21st Bn. Manchester Regt. Returned to billets at Courcelles.

Now I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that I am going to Arras on 8th to 11th April and would be happy to take a photo or three of his grave, let me know if you would like me to do so. The main reason for my visit is that the 9th is the 90th anniversary of the first day Battle of Arras which was when I believe my own Grandfather got his ‘Blighty one’ when serving with the 7th Norfolks. Whilst there, I will be doing some work on a trip to the area which I will be leading for members of the forum 14th – 17th September but I guess your Somme visit will get in the way of this, not such good news

Regards

Roy.

P.S. If you live in the area of your men, have you thought of coming to one of the monthly meetings of the South Staffs Pals?

Many thanks for that Roy , got some tools to work with now. The relevant parents' names have come up on our family tree research ! Pity about your trip, I only booked the Somme trip at the weekend ! Photos would be much appreciated, costs reimbursed naturally. Bit too far away for your meetings nowadays, I left Fallings Park when I was 3 ! I now live a few miles from the birthplace of the RNAS .

Regards,

Jeff

The attack on Croisilles was not one of 1st Battalion's better days. A company lost its way and many were taken POW.

From what I gather , quite literally victims of their own success...........

Photos would be much appreciated, costs reimbursed naturally. Regards,

Jeff

Happy to get the photos, but as to the costs.... there's the cost of the crossing, and our hotel does't come cheap, ..... shall we settle at £300.00? :lol:

Alternatively you could donate an extra couple of quid to the RBL poppy appeal. :)

Roy

Happy to get the photos, but as to the costs.... there's the cost of the crossing, and our hotel does't come cheap, ..... shall we settle at £300.00? :lol:

Alternatively you could donate an extra couple of quid to the RBL poppy appeal. :)

Roy

Poppy Appeal it is then !

Roy,

Do you have anything for the 5th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment on 26.09.1917. I am looking into Captain Clarence Vincent Tom Hawkins from Cheslyn hay who died that day. The Walsall Observer and South Staffordshire Chronicle dated 20th October 1917 said, "Captain Clarence V.T. HAWKINS was killed whilst leading a charge upon an enemy trench. His death was reported on 6th October 1917. His home address was "Glenthorne", High Street, Cheslyn Hay. Educated at Jesus College, Cambridge he enlisted whilst working with his father at the family's Old Coppice Colliery. His brother Captain Osmond C. HAWKINS was wounded some months ago."

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

Jeff,

St Leger cemetery last week.

The headstone

Base

I've had to reduce these significantly to post them. PM me your e-mail addy and I'll mail you the real things.

Roy

Kevin,

Page 1 of 4

Page 2

Page 3