Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting set of medals!!!

Gordon Caldecott

The last medal in the long Air Force group is -

The Air Efficiency Award, Inst. Sept. 1942 for 10yrs. efficient service in the Auxiliary & Volunteer Air Forces of the UK & Commonwealth. A bar was awarded for a further 10yrs. service.

BW. Roy

The last medal in the long Air Force group is -

The Air Efficiency Award, Inst. Sept. 1942 for 10yrs. efficient service in the Auxiliary & Volunteer Air Forces of the UK & Commonwealth. A bar was awarded for a further 10yrs. service.

BW. Roy

Oh, the jealousy!!!! There are some very tasty groups here!

Until recently I had nigh-on every campaign medal issued to British troops by the British government and HEIC etc.

Every medal from Waterloo to the South Atlantic (never got the Gulf War Medal and UN & NATO medals don't appeal to me), all gone..sob, sob. I had a period of illness and my ever unhelpful council dragged out my claim for housing benefit for so long that the medals had to go so that the rent, bills were paid and food put on the table!

The singles weren't the only ones to go, some wonderful groups had to go as well...and now that I'm on my feet the blasted prices of medals are so high that I can't get back into the hobby like before :(

However, I did pick up for £5 a lovely replica of Nelson's Nile Medal from Past Times, of all places the other week. It goes nicely with the replica Large Naval Gold Medal (from the Nelson Society) and replica Boulton's Trafalgar Medal..now all I need is a replica Davison's Trafalgar Medal and that will be a nice little collection.

Might even bore you with my humble collection, which does include a very rare parish fire brigade medal.

Clan Dhai,

Thats such a sad story!!!!!!

I must admit, I have sold off my collection a few times, as it gets to the point, where I feel guilty having that much money tied up in something that just sits in a draw. I always regret it afterwards, but there comes a time when the money could be better spent elsewhere. Well thats not true, what I mean to say is that repairs to the car etc, can only be put off for so long!!!!

Gordon.

Came across this, and wondered if there is any way to varify this sort of thing??

post-2587-1130656900.jpg

post-2587-1130656929.jpg

post-2587-1130656960.jpg

Would have liked this medal, but the price is getting silly.

ww1 Victory Medal

59523 Pte W Mellor ,Ches R.

Walter was KIA 20/4/18 age26 with the 11th Bn

Only son of Frederick & Annie Mellor of Pot Bank House ,Astbury,Cheshire

He was born Astbury & enlisted Poplar London (He was a member of the Metroplitan Police Force)

The family are on the 1901 census for Newbokd,Astbury

The medal has offically impressed naming as issued but has lost the gold lacq (see picture)

post-2587-1130657038.jpg

Would have liked this medal, but the price is getting silly.

What is a silly price for a verified 85 year old antique, linked to someone who was KIA? The price of a meal in a restaurant?

Neil,

Are you sure I thought the horizontal stripe was scrubbed before the end of WW1 as I notice that a number of WW1 DFC winners have diagonal stripes.

I looked up a great war group awarded to Sq Ldr TF Hazell and he had a DSO,MC and DFC and bar and his ribbon was diagonal.

What I am probing is, if he was operational from 1939 as there are no campaign medals between the wars for him to get his DFC what he was up to to get it.

I am testing the integrity of the group as they are minatures.

Rob

Rob,

I was right, the DFM is post WW1. The diagonal ribbon came into being post 1919. Could this man have been an NCO as the DFC could also be awarded to WOs as well as officers. I can confirm that the last meal is the Air Efficiency Award and will only have George VI or EIIR heads. I'm not happy with the authenticity of this set. There's something not quite right about them.

NeilD

Neil,

As you said earlier minatures are so easy to botch together and on the face of it this is a cracking group and I am sure they could have got away with it but the DFM mucked it up otherwise very credible.

Am I just being very suspicious as I used to put together gallantry bars as a child.

Rob

PS good to be up anmd running again.

I am sure at that stage it was a French colony and any fighting I would have thought to be against them or tribal/feudal!

Rob

A few of what is left of my collection.

The small medal on the right is the Windlesham Parish Council's Fire Brigade Long Service Medal (10 years). There were only 8 medals issued, 1 of which had a gold centre for 20 years service and awarded to the Chief Fire Officer (who was also a Special Constable and was involved in the hunt for Jack the Ripper as a young PC in London...he was a very old man when he was the Chief!).

It must be worth something as I was once offered a Blitz gallantry BEM group to a London Fireman for this one, but it's staying in my collection.

post-121-1131199046.jpg

A WWI and WW2 group. The recipient was in the RA in WWI before joing the London Fire Brigade in 1919. He worked his way up to Station Officer and was involved in some of the worst Blitz fires in the Docks area of London.

post-121-1131199384.jpg

A grouping of replica medals with a Nelson 'link'.

The medals are, from top left going clockwise:

Davison's Nile Medal.

Large Naval Gold Medal (this is one produced by the Nelson Society and is gold plated with the inscription that Nelson's medal had).

Naval General Service Medal (Trafalgar bar).

Boulton's Trafalgar Medal in Gold (plated).

Boulton's Trafalgar Medal in pewter.

post-121-1131199942.jpg

What a nice collection that was, was the Nile medal the real McCoy? As to the Gold cross that was a very neat copy what is the current sort of price you would be expected to part with for that?

Very nice,

Rob

Rob - Thanks.

No, the Nile Medal is a copy not the real thing. All the Naval group are replicas, there is no way I can afford the real things at the moment.

The Army Gold Cross came from Worcestershire Medal Services, can't remember the price but they still have them on their website.

After I had to sell most of my collection I replaced the originals with replicas. One of the best replicas is the Ashanti Star. It is made from the same material as the original and using the original moulding; apparently it was made in the (IIRC) 1990's during the anniversary year.

A WWI and WW2 group. The recipient was in the RA in WWI before joing the London Fire Brigade in 1919. He worked his way up to Station Officer and was involved in some of the worst Blitz fires in the Docks area of London.

Not wanting to cast any doubt what so ever on this group - how old was he during WW1? The reason I ask is that the Fire Brigade Long Service Medal was not instituted until 1 Jun 1954 and awarded for 20 years exemplary service. This would make your man in his late 50's early 60's. A bit old to be a fireman?

NeilD

Whats the story behind the guy, who was a young Bobby during the hunt for Jack the Ripper?

I have an 1887 Jubilee Medal to a Bobby who worked in Bethnal Green (J Div), during the Ripper murders, he later died on duty, after choking on his own false teeth whilst effecting an arrest!!!!!

Police Constable Joseph Daniels Metropolitan Police.

Joined 17th May 1886, posted to C Div PC 387 (St James), 10th August 1888, posted to J Div PC 223/PC 502 (Bethnal Green) 20 days before the murder of Polly Nichols, at Bucks Row. 15th August 1890 posted to E Div PC259 (Holborn). He received a pay increase on the 23rd May 1891. Then on the 23rd May 1892, he died on duty, from choking to death on his own false teeth, whilst effecting an arrest. A local paper, The Holborn and Finsbury Guardian ran the following story…….

The Danger of False Teeth

On Wednesday evening at St Clement Danes Vestry-hall, Strand, Mr John Troutbeck, the coroner for Westminster, held an inquiry into the circumstances attending the death of Police Constable Joseph Daniels 259E aged 27 years who was killed early on Sunday morning whilst taking a prisoner to Bow Street Police Station. Superintendent Steggles of the E Division, was present, Joseph Daniels a registration agent of 9 Meeting House Lane, Peckham. Identified the deceased as his son, lately resided at Jubilee Buildings, Waterloo Road. Sometime ago he had erysipelas in the face, and the divisional surgeon ordered him to have some of his teeth extracted and replaced by false ones. These he was wearing at the time of his death, PC 379E Alfred Smith, said that on Sunday morning at about 12:20 he was in Kemble Street, Clare market, taking a prisoner to Bow Street Police Station. A crowd of several hundred persons had assembled and an attempt to rescue the man was made. Witness blew his whistle and in response the deceased came running up. He took hold of the prisoners other arm and they had only proceeded a few yards, when the witness missed the deceased, and on looking round saw him lying on the pavement. Another constable came up and witness went oh his way. PC350E William Stewart said that he was on duty in Newcastle Street when he heard the whistle blow, and on going to Kemble Street saw the two Constables with a man in custody. Witness broke through the crowd, and then he saw the deceased lying on the ground. He immediately undid his collar and sent for an ambulance, on which he conveyed the unfortunate man to the hospital. By the Coroner: the deceased was not knocked down, kicked or otherwise assaulted. Dr Eric Law Pritchard, house physician at Kings College Hospital, said that the deceased was dead when he was admitted. He made the post-mortem examination, which revealed that the deceased, was an exceedingly healthy man. Just about the larynx witness found a set of false teeth impacted, which had produced suffocation, the cause of death. The teeth were of a very inferior make, no doubt they became loosened through the deceased running, and an inspiration drew them down his throat. The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death” and added that they thought the deceased was over anxious to do his duty.

Entitled to the 1887 Jubilee Medal.