Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting set of medals!!!

Gordon Caldecott

I was always struck that you could go into the NATO post office/PX equivalent and buy any of the NATO service medals in miniature for the equivalent price of about 80p each.. Doesn't seem quite in scale with the sweat that went into some of them!

And I've vented my spleen on the 'RBL' sanctioned medals before. Kidology - donation to charity or not. I get very red faced (angry) when press photographers just LURVE taking pics of someone with about a dozen medals, seven or eight of which he's bought at exorbitant price, and then had mounted into an official group!! And when they start inventing 'clasps'..

Phil,

I hadn't even realised they did clasps on the BL medals but I noticed on the National service medal you can get ones with the dates you carried out your service and the Regiment you served in are we pushing it with boot sizes!

I did think about it but rest assured The brochure is now in the bin,

Rob

It is so reassuring that I'm not alone and that others have similar attitudes. However I know we bad mouth the NATO and UN medals but we should really give a hardtime to the government for being cheap and not honouring us with a UK medal. Skinflints. There was even talk of downscaling the number of QGJM to be issued. Look how long it took the Canal Zone Vets to recognition. Boo and hiss to the those who hold the purse strings in the government.

NeilD

Yes, I agree these penny pinching scams they come up with, but then again look at the classic one for after the second world war, all those stars and medals issued unnamed!!!!!!

Have you seen the BL medal for NATO service, with about 20/30 diffferent clasps, its a shame they didn`t done one with the FRY clasp, as all you`d have to do is change the ribbon and you`d have a lovely alternative the issue one.

Another group I`ve seen on ebay

A VERY NICE GROUP OF GENUINE CONTEMPORARY MINIATURE DRESS MEDALS FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF CAPTAIN / LT.COLONEL.LIONEL.BEALE.CLARKE. R.A.M.C T.F, MA, LMSSA, HE WAS AWARDED THE O.ST.J IN 1927 AND M.I.D FOR SALONICA IN 1920, HE LATER SERVED IN W.W.2 AND WAS AGAIN MID IN 1943. THIS GROUP ONLY REPRESENTS HIS PRE WW2 MEDAL ENTITELMENT AS HE SERVED AS A LIEUT.COLONEL DURING W.W.2 AND WAS ENTITELED TO OTHER W.W.2 CAMPAIGN MEDALS. FURTHER DETAILS SUPPLIED WITH THE GROUP.

post-2587-1130239879.jpg

Gordon,

Again, American medals are similar to our minatures in that you could go to any PX or on line and order anything that takes your fancy - "...mmm the Purple Heart I think today dear..." At least with the UK medals replicas and replacements are easily identified with a big "R" on them. No ambiguity there methinks.

NeilD

Saw these thought they might be of interest...........

SUPERB GROUP OF 6 MINATURE MEDALS MOUNTED ON A SWING BAR FOR WEAR ATTRIBUTABLE TO LT COLONEL GEORGE VERE TAYLOR OF THE 16TH BATTALION RIFLE BRIGADE. MINITURE MEDALS CONSIST OF:- GOLD DISTINGUISHED SERVICE ORDER, OFFICER IN THE MOST EXCELLENT ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE, (OBE MILITARY FIRST TYPE), THE MILITARY CROSS, THE BRITISH WAR MEDAL (WITH SWIVEL SUSPENDER) THE VICTORY MEDAL WITH MENTIONED IN DISPATCHES OAKLEAF(TWO MENTIONS) THE GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL 1918-62 WITH KURDISTAN CLASP. MINI MEDALS AND RIBBONS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION FOR AGE. MEDALS COME WITH CONSIDERABLE RESEARCH OF NOT ONLY WAR SERVICE BUT POST WAR SERVICE IN IRAQ WITH THE NORFOLK REGIMENT AND MALAYA WITH THE COLONIAL OFFICE VOLUNTEER REGIMENT. THEIR IS ALSO A VERY CLEAR PICTURE OF THIS GALLANT BRITISH OFFICER WEARING HIS MEDALS. THIS IS A TRULY EXCELLENT LOT THAT WOULD GRACE ANYONES COLLECTION. GRAB A REAL PIECE OF BRITISH ARMY HISTORY, HAPPY BIDDING.

post-2587-1130397588.jpg

post-2587-1130397606.jpg

Now Gordon, of all the groups you have shown us this is the finest good quality nice patina and a good provenance.

Keep up the good work, sounds a bit like a school report!

Max Hastings (Charterhouse School maths report)-He gradually found his way to the bottom then raised himself at the very end, perhaps through his rivals illness!

Keep up the good work.

Rob

Victorian Miniature Indian Mutiny Medal Named to Lt S.A.Pretor 9th Lancers. Has top brooch ribbon bar fixing which is maker marked Hunt & Ruskell .In

post-2587-1130420046.jpg

post-2587-1130420065.jpg

Gordon,

Do you have any nursing groups as I would like to see what the ARRC looks like on a bar?

Rob

Gordon,

Thanks will watch with interest.

Now to this batch-we have the OBE, DFM and DFC BWM +Vict with an MID and then a second war batch including an Air Crew Europe and an MID implying he flew on ops. Quite an adventurous life but what is the last medal after the Queens coronation medal of 1953?

Rob

Also someone who has come up through the ranks getting his DFM and leaving with an OBE so Wing Commander /Lt Col equiv.

Would be intereting to see if the DFC was WW1 or 2 as quite old for aircrew for WW1.

Rob

Neil,

Are you sure I thought the horizontal stripe was scrubbed before the end of WW1 as I notice that a number of WW1 DFC winners have diagonal stripes.

I looked up a great war group awarded to Sq Ldr TF Hazell and he had a DSO,MC and DFC and bar and his ribbon was diagonal.

What I am probing is, if he was operational from 1939 as there are no campaign medals between the wars for him to get his DFC what he was up to to get it.

I am testing the integrity of the group as they are minatures.

Rob

Rob,

Fair cop. I'm at work so don't have my books to hand. I thought that the ribbon was changed after WWI. But I see your point - didn't the Brits deploy the Ethiopia between the wars? Egypt as well?

NeilD

Yes they did, and a number of DFCs were awarded for action on the NW Frontier but if they did get decorated there they would also have the campaign medal to go with it. This chap goes from the 1st war to picking up the 39-45 star and Aircrew Europe. So we have a 40 year old member of an operational crew where any one over 27 got the tag Grandad!

What they called this guy I havn't a clue.

Rob

Rob,

He must have had a long career (if this set is genuine). Service in WWI and WWII and possible action between the wars and to top everything off an EIIR coronation medal to boot. I agree - something not quite right but can't put a finger on it. More research needed methinks.

NeilD

Rob, no idea what the last medal is, sorry. can`t anyone shine any light on it??

In the mean time can anyone suggest a way, I could varify this?

consisting of a Good Conduct Medal & a Purple Heart. Identified to Geo. H. Hennrikus. Very good condition. (2)

post-2587-1130572839.jpg