Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What are we?

Max Poilu

Seeing the point about Taff Gillingham's name preference in this topic:

Blue Peter topic

How should be refer to ourselves? (the in-forum use of 'Pals' being another thing altogether). Obviously we are all individuals in our specific interests and level of obsession with the Great War but as a group...

Great War nutters probably according to many... However, do we qualify as amateur historians - a bit grand or perfectly accurate in the true latin meaning of 'amateur'? Perhaps 'WW1 buffs' - a nice friendly term. Or something else?

Giles,

I'll answer to all three!

And a few others!

I'm not sure that I would call myself an amateur historian as I don't think I know enough, much prefer Buffs but don't mind nutter.

Mandy

Surely a historian is someone who studies the past and amateur is someone who is either not professional or does not get paid!

Thats sounds about right, if alittle pompous. Enthusiast is also a good word.

Mandy, Not sure that vast knowledge or lack of it stops you being one, though it may effect a you being a knowledgable or good ametuer historian.

regards

Arm

You can call me anything you like~except late for Dinner! :blink:

amateur is someone who is either not professional or does not get paid!

Indeed. ;) As I understand it the word amateur comes from the latin amo - "I love", and defines one who pursues a interest purely for his passion for that subject rather than for financial gain...

I had an article on Dan Burges VC in the local newspaper a couple of months ago and they refered to me as an "amateur military historian".

To be honest, I've never even considered what "I am"....... except my other half often refers to me as a freak or weirdo for all the walking around cemeteries I do on weekends :ph34r:

Les

Hello

I would think that "horder" used to be a word I would use but with prices for medals now (and the resources available like here) I am much more of an enthusiastic (and sociable) researcher

Ian

Quite like the idea of being known as a WW1 Researcher - we are all researching someting or other to do with WW1 - wouldn't like to say whether I am any good at it though :)

Glyn

I was known as a 'Sad Sack' at work for my morbid interests, however I would like to point out that the bus was always full with kindred spirits coming out of the woodwork when ever I organised a trip from work to the Western Front.

Scottie.

Enthusiast just about describes it for me- don't count my self as an Historian amateur or no, or researcher...buff maybe

I'll confess to being a (very) amateur local historian and have a diploma in local history to prove it! My first publication was a history of the Swansea Workhouse and the Poor Law. The second - almost by accident ('now what shall I look at next?') a history of the Swansea Bn. Next week I'm at the NA for a week (research grant assisted) to look at public health in Victorian Swansea (and a few MIC's etc). I must confess that I think I will return to the Great War though...if only I could ditch the day job...

Bernard

my own wife calls me an anorak. Personally I prefer trenchcoat.

I think Military Researcher covers most of it.

This is much better than "totally frustrating, obsessive, war memorial studying nutcase, don't you think?

PAUL J

My wife uses the word "obsessive".

Actually, she uses others, but obesessive is the printable one.

I think you qualify Spike !! Your website is very good, you've done your great grandfather proud.

I'd just say that we've chosen to "remember them" with a little more enthusiasm that most.

Discovering that "them" included my Grandfather and his 3 brothers was the starting point of a journey of discovery for me that has entertained and educated, taken me to some fascinating places and let me get to know a lot of great people/anoraks/nutters also dedicated to "remembering" in a myriad of different ways.

At least we are harmless ! (mostly).

I was known as a 'Sad Sack' at work for my morbid interests, however I would like to point out that the bus was always full with kindred spirits coming out of the woodwork when ever I organised a trip from work to the Western Front.

Yes, people often seem to think it's all a bit weird, but then they remember "Great-Great-Uncle Wilfred" who was killed in the War, and are very impressed at what you can dig up about them!

At least I can't be called eccentric as I'm skint; you have to have money to be called that.

I do like Trenchcoat though although some might think it has seedy connotations.....................

I think you qualify Spike !! Your website is very good, you've done your great grandfather proud.

Thanks Uncle Bill, it means a lot to hear someone say that. My research may not be great, but I tried, and enjoyed setting the site up.

I think Military Researcher covers most of it.

Though I think this implies an actual occupation/job - something that the vast majority of us aren't.

As I get paid for some of my research, do I actually still qualify as an "amateur", even though I make nothing out of most of my work?

I think that "historian" can be used by some, and "expert" by none. I personally, refer to myself as a serious "student" (as I'm still - and always will be- on a vast learning curve) of late 19th and early 20th century military history.

Dave.

I would subscribe to either "amateur military historian" and/or "student of the Great War" to best describe myself and many of my collegues here and on the CEF Study Group discussion forum.

The definitions can be used to define one who wishes to remember and partially understand the actions, events of both organizations of men and individual soldiers. Generally few of us will publish formal articles but most will share one's small segments of growing expert knowledge within a larger community of similiar Other Ranks. The synergy of this collaboration allows many of us to progress to a more complete knowledge.

The term "amateur" is best used as many of us may have certification, degrees or education in other fields [which pay the mortgage] but have chosen this specific and obtuse sector of history to focus upon for recreation. I use the term "student" as we will also be in perpectual research and discovery. To learn more is to realize how much we do not know.

Of course, there are others who think I am a little crazy to spend some [perhaps too much time] of my spare time in this topic area.