Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. Grant Robert + 13 June 1917

Regulus 1

Hi,

I found on a Belgian military cemetary the grave of 2nd Lt. Grant Robert who died on the 13th June 1917 at the age of 24. He was with 29 Sqdn RFC. But I found no details on his death. He is not listed in Henshaw's TSTB. Any ideas ?

Thanks and best from Johan :unsure:

Johan

2Lt Robert Grant of No 23 Sqn RFC, from Prestwich Yorkshire, was killed in an accident while flying Spad VII A6688 on 13 June 1917.

I hope this helps

Gareth

Gareth,

Great ! Thank you very much, now at least I can tell something on the man !

Alwats a lot better ! <_<

Thanks and best from Johan B)

• 14 years later...
On 07/10/2005 at 22:11, Regulus 1 said:

Hi,

I found on a Belgian military cemetary the grave of 2nd Lt. Grant Robert who died on the 13th June 1917 at the age of 24. He was with 29 Sqdn RFC. But I found no details on his death. He is not listed in Henshaw's TSTB. Any ideas ?

Thanks and best from Johan :unsure:

Hi Regulus 1, I know it’s been 15 years since your post concerning 2nd Lt. Robert Grant RFC, but I have recently discovered his family grave. Prestwich (my home town) is in Greater Manchester and not Yorkshire as previously indicated. He is either buried there (repatriated post-war?) or simply recognised on his family grave. Also, and of at least equal interest, is the fact that his brother is buried in the same plot. Former Lance Corporal James Taylor Grant MM died in his 22nd year on November 8th 1920 (possibly of injuries sustained in action- conjecture!). The family home (Strathspey) still stands. The gravestone inscription - sited in St. Margaret’s Church, Prestwich, Manchester- reads as follows:

2nd Lieut Robert Grant

Killed in Flanders

June 13th 1917 in his 25th year.

Of “Strathspey” Prestwich. 

Ex lance Corporal James Taylor Grant M.M. 
Died Nov. 8th 1920, 

In his 22nd year. 

”Their country called, they answered.”

I really hope this helps to complete the picture, although clearly there is still much to learn. I am a history graduate (University of Lancaster) and have had a lifelong interest in the roles the young men  , and indeed women, played in preserving our freedom, so often sacrificing their own lives in this endeavour.