Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brig. General J. Hasler

Regulus 1

This is part number 3 of my search for info on general officers :

Brig. General J. Hasler, CO of the 123rd Inf. Brig. 41st Division (East Kent Regt. - The Buffs), who died on the 26th april 1915.

I think he was as a Captain in the Boer Wars in 1900, but that's all I have...

Thanks and best from Johan :huh:

Brigadier General Julian Hasler.

Born October 1868.Commissioned East kents sept 1889. Service in Chitral Relief force 1895 and a couple of years later further service in Bajaur, Mamuad Country and Tanga Pass on NW Frontier of India. He was wounded severley in South Africa. 1903 he served in the Kanosokoto Campaign in Northern Nigeria, seeing service in the same country two years later.

He took command of 11th Inf brigade in Feb 1915 but was killed two months later.

On night 27th April a shell killed him near St Jean. General Bulfin writes of sending two staff officers to help him in the defence and that artillery was very heavy. He told him to withdraw but hassler who could have got out around 6pm did not and when withdrawing around 9pm was killed.

He is buried in White House Cemetery, St Jean-les-Ypres, Belgium.

This info taken from 'Bloody Red Tabs' by Davies and Maddocks. A cracking book as it gives small bios on all killed and wounded General officers of the Great War.

regards

Arm

Just realised I have him in Command of 11th Infantry brigade?

Was 41st Div in France in 1915? CWGC has him as 11th Inf as well.

regards

Arm

Just checked Long Long trail and not formed until sept 1915

Edited by armourersergeant

Yes - "Orders of Battle" cofirms he was 11th bde when killed; no Haslers in command of Brigades in 41st Division, so no case of mistaken identity!

Gentlemen,

My sincere thanks for this information, this is just what I need ! Great ! :)

Thanks and best from Johan

Julian Hasler. 26 years in the Buffs

Commissioned into the Buffs 19/9/1888

Lieutenant 4/2/1892

Captain 12/3/1898

Brevet Major 2/8/1902

Brevet Lt Col 28/4/1906

Major 7/2/1907

Brevet Col 11/1/1910

Chitral 1895

NW Frontier 1897-8

South Africa 1899-1902 (severely wounded 1901) (MID)

N Nigeria 1903

N Nigeria 1906 (MID)

Arrived in France with the 1st Buffs on 7/9/1914

Badly wounded on 20/10/1914 at Radinghem

Rejoined 1st Buffs in Dec 1914

Given command of 11th Bde (4th Div) in Feb 1915

MID twice

Mick

Michael,

Thanks a lot ! Great addition ! Certainly makes a good story with all this info !

Best from Johan :)

• 2 months later...

Coincidence?

I have an ancestor called Hasler Hollist - my GGFather was Capt. AMC Hollist of the 8th Buffs!

I'll have to make some enquiries about the Hasler thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone have a picture of the General they can share?

Thanks.

Neil

Brigadier-General Julian Hasler

post-1871-1176058379.jpg

Brigadier - General Julian Hasler

East Kent Regiment.

Julian Hasler (B, 1892-1885) was born on October 16th, 1868 - the son of W.W. Hasler Esq., of Addingbourne House, Chichester. He came to Winchester from Rev. J. Gresson's school at West Worthing, and in 1885 played in the 2nd XI (cricket). He passed through Sandhurst and in 1888 was gazetted to the 1st Battalion East Kent Regiment. From 1895 onwards he was engaged almost continuously on active service: with the Chitral Relief Force in 1895; on the North West Frontier in 1897, when he took part in the capture of Tanga Pass; in South and West Africa from 1899 to 1903 and again, after an interval spent in Southern Nigeria, till 1910. During the South African War he was employed with the West African Force and the Rhodesian Field Force, and he was severely wounded; his services were recognised with the rank of Brevet Major, and his name appeared in Despatches. He was again mentioned in 1906 for service in Northern Nigeria, and received the rank of Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel.

He went to the front at the beginning of the War in command of his battalion, and was wounded on October 22nd, 1914. He returned to France in December, and at the end of February 1915 was appointed to command the 11th Infantry Brigade. He fell in action at St. Jean, near Ypres, on April 27th following. He had been twice mentioned in Despatches.

Source: Wykehamists Who Died in The War 1914 - 1918.

Andy