Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Unit

Gunner2459

attached is a picture of my GG, Can anyone tell me which regiment he may have been from any any other info from the picture would be of great help.

post-8265-1128617624.jpg

it is now!

Pre. 1902-ish, give or take, from cuffs and collar. Clearly hand coloured, so at mercy of colourist. A Royal regiment.

Experts may tell more from forage cap.

Its a Glengarry and what a paint job!

Rob

Hi

If the colour of the 'Facings' are believed to be true and are 'Black' as shown then it narrows down the field. As far as I am aware there were three units that had 'Black Facings':

50th Regt of Foot [Queens Own R. West Kent ]

64th Regt of Foot [Prince of Wales North Staffordshire]

95th Regt of Foot [Derbyshire Regt]. [1881 2nd Bn The Sherwood Foresters]

The glengarry badge however, matches that of 64th Regt of Foot [Prince of Wales North Staffordshire] along with the shape of the collar dog.

1. Glengarry badge of Prince of Wales North Staffordshire:

Crown/Garter

2. Glengarry badge of 50th Regt of Foot [Queens Own R. West Kent ]:

lion/crown/50.

3. Glengarry badge of [1881] 2nd Bn The Sherwood Foresters]:

Maltese Cross [Type similar to K.R.R.C.]

Regards

Arthur

OK so I am colour blind! Nice piece of detective work. But according to Carman, for the head dress to be a Glengarry it had to have a small tourie [tuft] on the top. Cannot see one, although the ribbons are visible. Headgear is not my scene, though, as you will have gathered.

Can we have a close up on the collar badges? This may help identify the regiment. Also, the facings are blue for a royal regiment, not black as suggested. The style of uniform indicates it was taken post 1881.

The 64th lost their black facings in 1881 when they became the 1st Battalion of The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment) and adopted white, then the standardised colour for all non-royal English (and Welsh) regiments. The 95th had yellow facings from 1824-1881, not black. The 95th Rifles wore black facings but were taken out of the line in 1816 to become The Rifle Brigade. The 50th adopted blue facings in 1831 on becoming a "Royal" regiment.

But according to Carman, for the head dress to be a Glengarry it had to have a small tourie [tuft] on the top.

You only see the tourie when the Glengarry is worn it concertinas in when not being worn and appears flat. It is a Glengarry.

Rob

Can we have a close up on the collar badges? This may help identify the regiment. Also, the facings are blue for a royal regiment, not black as suggested. The style of uniform indicates it was taken post 1881.

Sorry if its not very clear.

post-8265-1128703500.jpg