Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Combining War Cemeteries

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There,

I am aware that after the war burials in many little cemeteries were transfered from to larger ones at the original was then shut down.

My question being, are there any records that show which men were buried in these original cemeteries and when their bodies were transfered. I am interested in this generally, but I also have a man's service record which states ' body exhumed now buried at Ancre British Cemetery 4 miles N.N.E. of Albert'.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Tim.

Hi There,

I am aware that after the war burials in many little cemeteries were transfered from to larger ones at the original was then shut down.

My question being, are there any records that show which men were buried in these original cemeteries and when their bodies were transfered. I am interested in this generally, but I also have a man's service record which states ' body exhumed now buried at Ancre British Cemetery 4 miles N.N.E. of Albert'.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Tim.

I would think that the Burial Returns for a cemetery would note the found location of a body - including those "found" or concentrated from surrounding cemeteries - at least giving the original cemetery map reference.

There were some threads about clearances tht gave other details I can't recall - try searching "battlefield clearance" or "concentration" It was very interesting and informative.

regards

doogal

Hi Doogal,

Have done as you suggested, and as you say, very interesting.

Very many thanks.

Cheers

Tim