Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guild Of Battlefield Guides Ypres weekend

salientguide

Guys;

Sorry about the double-post; my computer went into nutty mode.

Bob Lembke

You lot should work in the EU. It makes the Tower of bael look like a vicarage tea party.

Down my corridor we have in order:

Lxembourger, German, Dutch British, French, ?, Italian, German, British, German, German, Dutch, French, German, Walloon Belgian, Flemish Belgian, me, Swedish, Luxembourger and various temporaries detachments from anywhere from Latvia to Portugal.

We just get on with it. As long as the other bloke or blokess understands no one worries.

On another tack is the guild open only to people who guide/ want to guide around the British areas?

We do not differentiate on battlefield location. Whilst there is a majority of WW1 and WW2 interest we have Guides who are centred on Napoleonic, Marlborough, English Civil War etc. Also not limited to battles with British participation. Would be more than happy to include for example Russo-Japanese War or American Civil War. Its as much about the quality of the presentation, customer care, and giving a battlefield experience to the customer as well of course of the content. If you want more details the website is www.battleguides.org and click Ethos. It pretty well sums it up. Happy to add information offline if required at ypres1914@btconnect.com

regards

Mike

We do not differentiate on battlefield location. Whilst there is a majority of WW1 and WW2 interest we have Guides who are centred on Napoleonic, Marlborough, English Civil War etc. Also not limited to battles with British participation. Would be more than happy to include for example Russo-Japanese War or American Civil War. Its as much about the quality of the presentation, customer care, and giving a battlefield experience to the customer as well of course of the content. If you want more details the website is www.battleguides.org and click Ethos. It pretty well sums it up. Happy to add information offline if required at ypres1914@btconnect.com

regards

Mike

On that note Mike,

I sat in and helped to mark Graeme Cooper's 1st Assignment on the Battle of Waterloo.

He laid out a groundsheet and then placed various items on the sheet to denote the French and British units etc. Being a WWI/WWII nut it was strange for me. However, he had me enthralled for the time he spoke and well deserved his pass on that particular part of his path to being badged.

I have also sat in on a talk about Agincourt.

I totally support what you have said there Mike and the Guild has certainly helped develop me as a freelance guide.

The same also goes for me if anyone wants to know more about the GBG then please email or PM me.

Bob,

Great story! It's a small world!

Steve

It's great to read that there is a guild of battlefield guides. I've had to bite my tongue on two occasions when I've earwigged some of the guides employed by opportunist tour companies.

So what is this Guild all about? I have just spent a long hard year doing Battlefield tours, in WW1 & WW2. I have done my research, I have done the tours. I have done the classroom work and then put into practice in the field.

I have had no complaints. I do anything from the British Royal Legion to the Army Cadet Force. I have for 8 years.

I started doing these tours, by coming to Belgium/France organised by one of these 'opportunist tour companies'. I then decided I wanted to go further. Then I started bringing friends and small parties, by then, through research my knowledge grew. I started to learn more, by being on the Battlefields almost every day. So we all need to start somewhere.

I can speak French, German and Dutch to a certain extent.

I do not need to be evaluated or pay an annual fee to tell me I can do a job.

I do not need to be badged or wear a tie and blazer to tell me I can do my job.

I know people need to be protected from cowboys, but who deciphers this? Is this Guild recognised by an official body? What is 'Qualified'? Who decides these 'Qualifications'?

I don't need to be standing in Hooge Crater and some Guild member tells me they are 'better at being a guide than me' because they wear a badge, a tie and a blazer. This happened to a friend of mine who was showing a few people around. He never claimed to be a guide, but was lest impressed by the attitude of the said member. I never want this to happen to me.

These are just a few comments I thought I would add, to understand this 'Guild'.

By all means, any members please correct me, or put me straight....

Dear Ypresman,

I think if you check out the Guild wesite (see my signature below) it will answer many questions. From my personal perspective the 'career path' you mention is probably common to many of us. Many long hours researching, 'doing the knowledge', taking the tours and enjoying it. No doubt its one of those things that is a passion and a pleasure!

I can also say that since becoming a member and qualifying I have met many like minded people who are eager to share knowledge, experience, and generally seek to improve the way we are perceived. In no way do we suggest that anybody is less knowledable or somehow 'unworthy' without the badge.

I for one recognise that there are many knowlegable people outsided the Guild and that a badge or tie does not alone make a Guide and I am constantly in awe of the expertise evidenced in this board.

(The incident you mention, if not a misunderstanding, is contrary to what we expect of ourselves).

However as the Guild has grown, the qualified guides have become more visible and I would hope approachable. All we do say is that anybody wearing the badge has met the standards that we have set and that may give comfort to anybody buying the services of a Guide or a Tour operator employing badged guides. Those standards are visible, rigorous, and educationally tested.

Perhaps above all the Guild offers to its members and its qualified guides a forum for comradeship and why not. It is not exclusive. It is not a bunch of retired military types. I am a 100% civilian and last I checked, the membership was over 50% civilian. It would be a shame if the experience of your friend prevented you from investigating its merits. I am sure that you would be most welcome and would enjoy the common interest.

Not every member wants to take the badge, but all of us who have done so have been happy to prove ourselves to our peers and thats quite a leveller!

Please let me know if you want to learn more.

Please forgive me, if this thread has changed direction a little, since the opening barrage. But, I feel I need to offer a few of my observations, on battlefield guides, that I see operating, in and out of Ypres! Some guides, are extremely curtious and polite! I don't know how knowledgeable they are, on their subject, because I have never taken a guided tour! I just happen to be married to a Dutch girl and my house is in Ypres, so I see many guides, operating there! But whether badged, or unbadged, some are worse than others! You know who you are! You are the ones, who stand in very prominant positions, at the Menin Gate and talk constantly during the ceromony! You are the ones, who block off the roads with your vehicles, much to the annoyance of the locals! You are the ones, who refuse to learn and speak the local language! I am sure some of the guides, have excellent battlefield knowledge but, as you quite correctly explain, ' Are you prepared to learn more?' Well, how about a little more on being polite to the local poulation and also being aware, that many Brits, are stood about, watching and listening to your every move and word. Battlefield knowledge isn't everything! Manners and respect are picked up by all, whatever their interest and nationality! I also agree on Ypresmans remarks! :ph34r:

Hi Mike

It still does not answer the questions as to why you have to 'Qualify' to be a Tour Guide. What qualifications do you require to be in the 'Guild'? What qualifications do you receive and why?

What is wearing of the Badge?Is this not exclusive? If not, then we can all wear them, then? Why do you need to be evaluated? We can all do our job. I'm sure big Tour Operators do not let any person to do their tours, without first evaluating them, after all its their reputation on the line.

You state you are happy to prove yourself to your Peers, but who are your Peers? We all have our personal peers, do we not?

About the 'Guild'? What does it hope to achieve, that we cannot? Who sets these standards?...are we not up to these standards? Who is to tell us?

I think us merry few, who frequent the battlefields are happy enough in what we do. We have enough repeat custom to continue in our happy pilgrimage, so we must be doing something right.

Sorry, so many questions, but I cannot think for any reason of having a 'Guild' unless you want to police the area you are in, and to take control, to me it does stink of 'Exclusive' as in an Old Boys Club...

I shall be intrigued when I come across these happy badge wearers on my next tour....

Fin.

Dear Chris and Fin,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris: I think distinguishing between Badged Guides and other guides is important in one respect. I would be concerned (disgusted) if one of our Badged Guides allowed inappropriate behaviour at any battlefield site, especially Menin Gate. I can only vouch that there were about 30+ members including about 10-12 Badged Guides (some working with their tour groups) at Menin Gate on 23rd Sept and the standard of behaviour was excellent.

(A Badged Guide wears the Red metal badge. Anybody wearing just a cardboard name tag without the red badge (or its woven variation) is NOT a Qualified Badged Guide. A small but important distinction).

Also that the Badged Guide has only been on the scene for about 18 months and we are keen to ensure that through our training system, the appropriate standards are maintained. Stories we all have of behaviour of ‘guides’ and their charges in the past are in fact one of the very reasons why the Guild was established and I think we all share the same objective. What we are concerned about is that Badged Guides exemplify the highest standards. Just wearing the badge means that we will be watched and I am certain that no Badged Guide will allow his group into these hallowed sites without first briefing them on the importance of good behaviour. Its in out training method.

Fin: I fear that if I went into all the questions you asked we could send the good people of this board to sleep. However anybody please feel free to contact me on ypres1914@btconnect.com and we can give the details you need.

In summary though, the Badge (the public recognition of ‘excellence’) is exclusive because it is only available to those who have passed all 9 parts of the validation process. These range from the ability to tell the story of a battle in a professional and entertaining way, through ability to plan tours, embrace archaeological and academic issues, deal with health and safety issues, and provide a duty of customer care. That it is exclusive conditional on proving ‘excellence’ is normal or its value is debased. Membership (as opposed to Badged or Qualified Guide status) is most certainly INCLUSIVE and we welcome all with a shared interest. The challenge maybe is to join us and improve us. The more talented guides the better.

Who decides who passes? The Guild has set (with the assistance of educational academics) a structured series of validation tests which we believe evidence the professional requirements of being a qualified battle guide. It seems to work in that 19 of us have passed, and 47 are in training (many of whom are excellent and well known battle guides). This to some extent bears out your point that you don’t have to be a Guild Badged Guide to be a battle guide, but eventually as these people achieve the badge, so the standards it encompasses become mainstream in the business. That should be a good thing and if it exposes some of the ‘cowboy’ practices in an ever growing market, then maybe the customer benefits in the long term, and the good guide is not undermined by the bad one. We all want repeat business.

All I can suggest is contact me and I will be happy to explain and hopefully disabuse you of the thought that we are an old boys club or worse! Nothing could be further from the truth.

If anybody sees me at Bayernwald or on the Somme this weekend (at the 1st July sites plus Guillemont/Delville) please feel free to come up and say hello at an appropriate moment. I will be wearing the red badge and a totally inappropriate black hat! Happy to discuss the Guild at any time (knowing I have to get to the next stand on time!)

Mike

Just to add a few things to Mike and Chris's posts.

When the Guild first started, and I was at the very first meeting at RAF Marham, it was always decided that the Guild be 'Inclusive' not 'Exclusive'. That still stands.

Anyone can apply to join the Guild and follow the path to being a badged guide. I started guiding in 2001 and wanted to learn from the start a standard to set myself. The Guild seemed a perfect way to do this.

I have spent the last 2 years, in-between work, family life and training etc, getting my badge. It was a very difficult, but very rewarding process. I am immensely proud to wear the badge and will be doing so from the 24th-26th Oct when I take a small group to the Somme. Rest assured my group will be fully briefed as to how they conduct themselves on the battlefield and at Ypres when we go to the Menin Gate.

Everyone on this forum, whether badged or not, can tell you about horror stories of seeing other guides acting inapproppriately, as well as their groups doing the same thing. The Guild sets out to try and stop this. One incident I can relate to you, as told to me by other badged guides, about how they witnessed the actions of another guide who and is one where a school teacher broke down in tears on a WWI battlefield tour.

Now I believe everyone on this forum would have acted with sympathy and respect for what happened to this teacher as the emotion we all experience on these tours can be high. The guide's response? He told her to 'Pull herself together'.

Another tour employed the services of an eminent historian with a guide, who is now badged, to assist. It ended up with the guide having to take over the whole tour as the historian had never actually visited the ground he was going to talk about!

The Guild is trying to stop behaviour like this, is trying to set a standard for guides to operate from and to give them a recognised qualification (academic and professional).

Through it's training, ethos and also the way the assignments are set out, it only seeks to make better guides. It is not trying to put any other guides who do not choose to become badged out of business, nor is it trying to force you to join its ranks.

Steve

Can only applaud Mike and Steves very erudite and patient replies and refer you back to my earlier posts. Ypresman why not come along to the Annual Weekend at Uxbridge in November. There you will meet all sorts of members and be able to put your point of view if you want or just observe and take in the ethos and aims. I am sure you will be reassured noone is trying to judge you personally on how good a guide you are, and certainly noone is trying to make money out of us. I am sure you are excellent at what you do why not enjoy that in the company of many sociable and like minded members.

maybe then you will be able to see the Guild is not a threat but an opportunity to advance the standing of battlefield guiding and members by offering a recognizeable standard of achievement as is happening in almost every branch of industry and public service these days. SG

Ypresman,

Hi mate. Your friend that was approached at Hooge crater by the Guild member, I am presuming from what you say is, that he was showing some friends around the battlefield (Correct me if I am wrong). To have been approached by a guide and told in not too many words "I am better than you" is ridiculous.

How did we start travelling to the battlefields? I used to travel up from Mons on my days off clutching a few self-guide books and dragging a couple of others with me. I got lost, I got locations wrong and at times got p****d off with the whole thing when I couldnt find or understand what had happend at various locations. I am sure we have all been there and still are occasionally ;) But we love it and we learn from it.

To be approached and told "I am better than you" is absurd. Who did this man think he was? I think in our job of relaying past historical events, facts etc to others we should be helping each other and learning from each other no matter what our level of experience. Being told what your friend was told, probably did nothing to help his confidence and probably sent a few daggers out as well.

Whilst I am sure that the guild means well, when individuals display this sort of behaviour to others, it puts out the message that they are the "Big Boys" in the "Old Boys Club" displaying "Elitism". After reading their website a number of times I am sure that is not what they want to do.

See you soon matey.

Iain

Please forgive me, if this thread has changed direction a little, since the opening barrage. But, I feel I need to offer a few of my observations, on battlefield guides, that I see operating, in and out of Ypres! Some guides, are extremely curtious and polite! I don't know how knowledgeable they are, on their subject, because I have never taken a guided tour! I just happen to be married to a Dutch girl and my house is in Ypres, so I see many guides, operating there! But whether badged, or unbadged, some are worse than others! You know who you are! You are the ones, who stand in very prominant positions, at the Menin Gate and talk constantly during the ceromony! You are the ones, who block off the roads with your vehicles, much to the annoyance of the locals! You are the ones, who refuse to learn and speak the local language! I am sure some of the guides, have excellent battlefield knowledge but, as you quite correctly explain, ' Are you prepared to learn more?' Well, how about a little more on being polite to the local poulation and also being aware, that many Brits, are stood about, watching and listening to your every move and word. Battlefield knowledge isn't everything! Manners and respect are picked up by all, whatever their interest and nationality! I also agree on Ypresmans remarks!  :ph34r:

I am local and of course speak Dutch, qualified for official local guide after a two and a half year course on Saturdays, try to prepare my tours thoroughly, do also explain things to visitors who ask me a question without belonging to my group, don't block the roads, react when I see people who do not behave on cemeteries or Last Post and last but not least: I am a member of the Guild.

The reason? I want to get rid of the Flemish and British cowboys who buy a van and one or two books about the Great War and then start driving around (mainly British) visitors to give them an "in- depth" tour of the Salient . To be clear: this doesn't mean that all the commercial operators are offering poor quality, some of them are very good.

The Guild tries to set high standards. This was since long overdue. But I can imagine that not everyone is happy with this. Especially not those who are out for the easy money.

Erwin

Iain and Ypresman,

I can assure you that the Hooge incident you have mentioned is not how I work as a Guild member, nor does anybody that I know that has been badged. If I met someone over in France, Belgium etc and we got chatting about the Guild, battlefields etc, it would not be through a 'holier than though' attitude. If such an incident took place then this must be reported to the Guild as this sort of behaviour would not be tolerated. There is a set procedure in place to discipline, even expell GBG members, should that sort of behaviour be found to be going on.

I guide through a passion to pass on what I know about both world wars. As Ypresman mentions there are people out there that pay to go on tours etc. I don't guide for the money, I guide because it allows me to talk about my passion to others who want to learn about battlefields. And as I already mentioned I looked at all the ways in which I could do this and decided that I wanted to go down the route of becoming a badged guide. The Guild is not an 'old boys' club. Nor am I an ex British Army officer as many people seem to believe that Guild members are. I did serve in the RAF, but as a Corporal.

The people going for their badge at this time are varied in their professions and backgrounds and are doing it because they want to. You only have to read about the badged guides to see that not everyone comes from a military background etc.

No one that I know would criticise you for not joining the Guild, it is just another option open to guides should they wish to do it. I am not superior to you, I resepct you for what you do, but you must agree that there are cowboys out there who are not giving guides of any ilk a good name.

The Guild is there to try and set a standard to how everyone should operate in this field, but it is not designed to be some sort of superior force in the guiding profession, nor is it there to criticise how you run your business.

Steve

Ian well put and a considered response especially having researched the Guild website. I dont follow all the ins and outs but we the cause of the upset seems to be a hearsay account of what may or may not have happened to Ypresmans matey at Hooge by an unidentified person who may or may not have been a Guild member or Badged guide. If the account is true then it wass indeed incredibly rude, but surely it is wrong to judge an entire enterprise on the questionable report of one alleged incident?? All I can say as an amateur with no professional axe to grind I have found nothing but encouragement in the Guild and have not come across a single instance even when the wine and beer is flowing of a single example of any Guild member making disparaging comments of any else professional or amateur in or outside of the Guild.

Change is always difficult to handle, Ypresmans expressions are classics of the first stage of managing change as represented by the Formation of the Guild which may well seem a threat to much cherished and hardly won positions as described by Ypresman himself. Suspicion and negativety often express themselves at such a time, usually followed by denial that it can possibly happen or succeed before a gradual acceptance occurs. For those who dont think the Guild is a good idea or dont feel it is for them, as I said earlier fair enough there is no compulsion.

All I can stress again is it is not the purpose of the Guild to judge anyone or force their ideas on anyone They exist to promote high standards in battlefield guiding.

That seems to stir up high emotion and rather inaccurate allegations.

Take the challenge,- e Mike who has offered freely to respond or come along to the Uxbridge meeting see and meet the members of the guild, which is open to all, hardly exclusive and see if you still hold the same position afterwardsSG

SG,

I would agree with you that it is wrong to judge an entire enterprise on the report of one incident. But I was not questioning the entire enterprise. I also, have no reason to doubt Ypresman either. I myself have no axe to grind with the guild either, a number of collegues I have served with are members, even an ex CO.

What I was attempting to say was that an outburst from someone belonging to an enterprise such as the guild, as is alleged by Ypresmans friend, can have no positive outcome on the confidence and mind set of someone visiting the battlefields, especially if they are displaying membership of the guild. I'm sure you would agree that the guild would not support that kind of behaviour, or I doubt any enterprise running on the same lines. But the person on the receiving end will go away with a different view.

Steve,

I would agree wholeheartedly with your post. I guide for exactly the same reasons as yourself. I am also aware that there are cowboys around, in this business and others. As I have said to SG as well, I am sure the Guild exists for the good of the business, a positive thing. But, as you yourself say, no one is forced to join, that not being the guilds intention.

Best regards to you both

Iain

Ian very well put and I entirely agree with you. I think both Mike and Steve and certainly myself feel any such behaviour as alleged is not only unpleasant and rude but toally against the ethos of the Guild which promotes friendship and camradeship amongst members and those interested in history and guiding. Of course any such behaviour can only be counter productive to the Guilds image how could it be otherwise. i only hope that this long and interesting debate has helped to air some issues some obviously feel about the Guilds formation and reassure them that the majority like Steve Mike and I are not tie wearing cavalry twilled ex military types out to rule the guiding roost but hopefully comrades with the same interest at heart. Best wishes SG

Still hasn't addressed the language input to the guild though! Is this on your agenda? I am only giving my observations, on how your guild members can improve your service, as you openly state!

Chris,

The Guild is still very much in its infancy. As it progresses there will be more training days and visits. What I will do is speak to a few people about what we can do about that point.

We have people from all over Europe, especially a contingent from Holland and Belgium interested and progressing through the assignments and I will raise this point, as I'm sure Mike and Chris will, at the weekend at Uxbridge in November.

I still say that anyone who wants to know what we are all about should just come to one of the weekends. That way you can make a fomulated decision as to what you think the Guild is all about.

Also if there are people out there giving the Guild a bad name already then it is up to the members as we stand and your good selves to stop this behaviour.

Please email the secretery Graeme Cooper at secretary@battleguides.org if you have any problems with Guild members. I promise you that it will not go un-ignored.

Steve Smith

Chris will try and take it up. What is it specifically you are suggesting re the language so we can draw it to members attention. regards SG

Hi SG. Thank you for your reply! When I read one of your members previous replies, he said that the Guild strives to raise their expertise and awareness of all, that is linked in with being a good battlefield guide! Well, this is one of my observations and I feel that speaking the language, or at least the basics, of Dutch and French, should be included in your sylabus! My house is in Ypres and I see and listen to many guides! Some badged, some not! What is quite clear, is that very few, speak or attempt to speak any Dutch in Ypres, whatsoever! If I can learn Dutch, anyone can! I know the locals dialect can be a little hard, but I promise you, it will be more than worth the effort, not only in your clients and hosts eyes, but you will be much more confident and happy too! When you consider, how much time and work you all spend in France and Belgium, surely this has to be a must! Battlefield knowledge, is only part of the package and for far too long, we Brits, have lagged behind, in communicating with our host locals! I promise you, doors open! The only time, I ever got invited into High Wood, was purely because of my french speaking wife's skills! :)

OK Chris a purely personal view as a very poor linguist at school long ago and since. As I said like most I have a smattering of schoolboy French which for political purposes would not be welcome in Flanders. Out of courtesy to the inhabitants who I find unfailingly courteous and helpful you are quite right it would be polite to learn a basic please and thank you and some helpful phrases. But to actually learn conversational Dutch or Flemish I do not think is within the remit of the Guild. For instance would that mean that trips to Gallipoli should have a Turkish speaking guide and any German explorations someone with a good grasp of German etc.

However I shall make sure the contents of the forum are known to the Guild secretary who can advise on trhe appropriate forum to raise this point. With regards to simple conversational phrases I am sure our own Dutch and Belgium members can help us.

Regards SG

SG, I take on board what you have said, but all said and done, the language issue must surely be considered! The problem is, that we have some extremely polite and courtious flemish people in Ypres and they are quite happy to converse in English. This still does not mean, that no language skills is required. When I frequent the bars and restaurants and hear a guide shout out, " Oy mate, 10 more beers ", I just feel, considering how much time you spend in Ypres around the Gate and in the bars, at least the basics would go down much better, just like the wonderful beer! :P . The chocolate lady gives me free chocs when I order in Dutch! I dont want this issue, to take away any of the hard earned study and work, that you have all chosen to do. This is just a topic, that I feel could be improved on, for your own feeling of well being, if nothing else! :)

Well.....

To Mike. I can Identify with the badge because they are very predominant,as to stick out of the crowd, as in a Sheriff Badge! As you say as small but important decision.

Who actually states within the 'Guild', that it is a 'Public Recognistion of excellence'? Have the public decided already?Have they decided for you to wear the badge for it?

So you are now Inclusive, as to oppose Exclusive? So you set the challenge to join, but we feel we are doing OK as we are, as has been for years. No gauntlet.

'The more talented the guides the better'..so you are looking to recruit a higher echlon. the best..an exclusive club?

The 'Guild' has set these exams....?How do you know what the professional requirements are?

So you are looking for everyone to wear this badge, as stated...

Mr Smith...

Obviously you have set yourself out to be 'one of the ranks'. We all hear horror stories, but not the reason to try and get a 'guild' started on this hearsay. We all try to make better guides, In the 8 years I have been doing this I have only come across one or two bad instances. I don't feel the urge to go out and form a 'UNION'

which I fear this is becoming....

Eventually it will all end up as 'Badged Guides' which is your main aim.. I suspect.

We will see about the rest...

Erwin

May I ask what you mean about "not everyone is happy with this.Especially those out for easy money"? I am not happy about the 'Guild', but I do not look for easy money. I do this with a passion, but everyone needs to be paid.

Steve

Do you wish me to describe this member? Do you wish for me to complain? Its not my style. I was merely pointing out the fact , as you say, the holier than thou attitude.

I come from a military background, but feel it very stifling if I had to do tours in a shirt/tie/blazer on a hot day... Takes me back to the army....

Why should the 'Guild' set the standard?..who told them? who should say what is right and what is wrong? and you try to tell me the 'Guild' is not trying to be superior?

Mr SG

You are quite correct in saying the incedent was a one off, but that is what got me to think about this 'Guild' and who were they.

Changes are difficult, but you have no right to challenge me on the threat of it.

I am not afraid of the 'Guild' There is no man better than me, nor I of him. And as you say " a gradual acceptance occurs"! So the main aim is to gradually take over the Battlefield Industry. Surely, as stated, you have a long term aim?

Don't we all have the same interests, so don't we all belong to a 'Guild'?

I know many a person who have spent many a year on the 'Fields' giving pleasure to 1000's and they don't need to belong in an 'Exclusive club'

So what you are saying is I need to be controlled, more educated, customer care, have better manners than I already have? Also to be educated in the way of the 'Guild' and not to be afraid of all these changes?

What changes?

What progress?

I cannot understand this. Did you consult all the other Tour Guides about this, especially the ones you knew? What did they say?

You are only Qualified in the 'Guild', and no where else, as a badged member.

So makes us all qualified then!

Give me the badge 'Brother Guildy'!...... <_<

Ypresman,

I couldn't agree more about blazers etc, the only thing I wear that may appear to be officer class is a battered barber jacket! :D

As far as I'm aware there is no set standard as to what a guide should wear? Like I said no one is forcing anyone to do anything and we certainly are not trying to become some super guiding organisation that is going to put everyone out business.

I have said all I'm going say and if anyone wants to say hi to me on the 26th at the Menin Gate then please feel free to say hello, I will be the one the battered barber jacket but no blazer or tie. :D

Steve