The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Nurses Awarded Military Medals

Nick Thornicroft

I agree very much with Sue. The WO399 files are frequently a disappointment, particularly in respect of the TFNS nurses. I expressed this to an old researcher when the files first became available and he said that what was kept when they were weeded was only the bare bones plus absolutely anything to do with money. They were not concerned to provide background material for you and me, but to record anything where the government might have to put up a case to refuse payment for anything arising from military service. An excellent post WW1 example of "follow the money!"

NGG

The ammunition dump was at Arques, not far from St,. Omer. General panic all round, but the ladies kept their heads.

The one at the front in the photo is the CO Thompson.

NGG

• 2 months later...

The book is out, if anyone's interested. Published by Savannah Publications. Detail of all 146 women who have won the Military Medal plus photos of almost 80%.

Took a heck of a long time, but has ended up a reasonable publication.

Norman

• 2 months later...

Hi Norman,

I have a question for you (or any other forum member - Sue?). Was Sister Margaret H. Ballance's middle name "Hendebourk" or "Heudebourk". I see it spelled "Hendebourk" in the Gazette but "Heudebourk" in the OMRS article of 1981. I have ordered your book Norman, but I don't want to wait for the book to answer my question (can you say impatient?).

If anyone can definitively answer this question, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Vimy casualties & gallantry (April 9, 1917)
1st CMR, CEF related
Looking for:
WM & VM to S. J. Leyland, 6th Signal Co. CSEF
WM to Sister M. H. Ballance

Assuming this is the Margaret who was born in Somerset in the 3rd Quarter of 1876 (I am not familiar with her story) her birth was registered with the names Margaret Hendebourck Ballance.

post-41057-0-79703800-1392537355_thumb.j

I have done some searching and when her medals were auctioned earlier this year her name was also given as Sister Margaret Hendebourck Ballance.

Would this have been taken from the medals engraved with her name?

And from the SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 30 JULY,1918 page 9001:

Sister Margaret Hendebourck Ballance, St. John's Ambulance Brigade Hospital.
For gallantry and devotion to duty during an enemy air raid.
Her fortitude and courage were most conspicuous.
She devoted herself entirely to her patients.

Where you are questioning the difference between Hen and Heu I would suggest that the Heu is because a lower case n was often written resembling a lower case u, in joined-up writing, so this could have been the result of a transcription mis-reading.

Not sure how the c got left out though.

CGM

If you all want to hang on for a couple of months, my next book Honours and Awards to Women - The Military Medal is currently going through the final stages before going to the printer. I'm only doing a very short run as befits a geekish book of this nature, but it should answer most questions.Norman

Happy to recommend this.

One satisfied customer.

• 2 years later...

Doing a bit of work on the Military Medal at the moment as the centenary of its institution is practically upon us. Some of the awards to foreign women appear in WO 388 (register of British awards to foreign), but I've not yet spotted Mdlle Moreau among them oddly enough, reading through this thread, I wasn't quite sure of the source for when she was presented with the medal?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a photo of Matron Helena Kate Repton MM, ARRC I could use in a short biography I'm writing.

She was born in Norton le Moors in what is now Stoke-on-Trent. The city council here have made the decision to name new streets after citizens who won a DCM or MM in the Great War. After reading a post by a forum member on the sad state of her grave in St. Bartholomew's church in Norton, I suggested one be named after Miss Repton. Apparently, she's the only woman whose name has been submitted for consideration so far. The council have already started naming streets: Peter Coates, chairman of Stoke City FC, recently unveiled a street sign for his father, Leonard, who won an MM with the York and Lancaster Regiment.

Hopefully someone can come up with a photo.

Richard

This has been a really excellent and informative thread. For those in the North East, Kate Maxey's story is one of those featured in the superb Somme exhibition in Durham:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/research/news/item/?itemno=27634

All the best

Paul.

• 1 month later...

From the war diary of 39 Stationary Hospital at Aire, 16/6/17, Miss L M Toller RRC reported for duty as Matron. 12/9/17 Miss L M Toller proceeded on 10 days leave. 21/9/17 Miss L M Toller returned from leave. 19/12/17 Orders received for Miss L M Toller RRC to proceed to 26 General Hopsital to take over duties as Matron. 23/12/17 Miss Toller RRC left in the morning for the 26 General Hospital. 10/1/18 Under instructions from DMS sent a report on the affair gassing at Armentiere on July 29 to 30. Brought specially to notice Miss L M Toller and Miss Dunn [This was a heavy air raid with many civilian casualties].

• 1 month later...

In regard to Margaret Balance, I have now been back to the original forms sent between her and Lt. Col. Leslie who was compiling the list of women awarded the Military.  On two occasions Leslie has headed his draft Margaret Hendebourck Balance and Miss Balance has corrected the 'n' to a 'u'.

The correct name is unquestionably Heudebourck.

Norman

• 2 weeks later...

In looking into who bombed the nurses who got the MMs this is what I have found:

19 Aug 17 St Venant in the German NB in early August 1917 in OTF KG 1 and KG 4 were flying operations over the British front.

21 mar 18 the German 1918 NB has BG3 bombing the railroads at Boulogue, Wimereux,Calais, St Pol, and Lillers . They report a munitions explosion at Lillers. Also BG 5 was bombing Arras

I hope this is of some use or interest

• 1 year later...