Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders

Guest Raindancer

Guest Raindancer

Greetings all

I've recently received copies of the 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders War Diaries for the period of August 1914 to March 1915 (less October and January) and am in the procees of transcribing them.

I have completed August which describes the mobilisation and journey to the front which culminates in the terrible events of the 26th and 27th when the vast majority of the Battalion were either killed or captured (there were only 218 Officers and men remaining).

If anyone would like a copy of the diary (in Word) let me know and I'll send it to you.

I'll be completing the other months in time and will make them available to anyone who'd like a copy.

Rog

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Raindancer
Rog

I would be most interested as one of my Gt Uncles serving with the bn was wounded and captured during this time.

Thanks

Dave

Dave

No problem at all. Let me have your email address and I'll send you the August '14 which is the only one I've completed as yet. I'm going to do the others and will let you know as and when they're complete.

Regards

Rog

Guest Raindancer

Malcolm

No but I am transcribing the final muster roll for them. I was lucky to get hold of a copy which shows all of the serving members from HRH Prince Charles as the Colonel in Chief to the youngest boy soldier.

I'll mention the diares and let them have a copy.

Cheers

Rog

• 1 month later...
Guest bert boyd

By any chance have you come across mention of Gordon Highlanders in Cork

All I have of my Uncle is a post card from Cork

he was Robert Boyd

Pte R.S.Boyd

No6789 D Company, Gordon Highlanders, Cork

Appreciate any pointers

Thanks

Bert (Robert ) Boyd

bertboyd1@ntlworld.com

I am looking for more information of the 14th Dec 1914 attack near Wijtschate. Is there also an annexe to the diary for this month on this action, or is it only the War Diary itself?

I am interested in both, so would be very pleased if you would be willing to send me what you have.

Thanks

Erwin

I would be most interested in any information regarding Muster Rolls.....my GGUncle served in the Gordon Highlanders during the war and for many years after.....I know nothing of his time in the war , I have a picture postcard of him sitting with his men....that is it.

His name is John Madden and he was a Seargeant Major(weather this was his rank during or after the war I am not sure).But he is the officer in the picture which I think is during the war.

Thank you so much........you have all been so helpfull in my research for my GGrandfather and my GGUncles.....

By any chance have you come across mention of Gordon Highlanders in Cork

All I have of my Uncle is a post card from Cork

he was Robert Boyd

Pte R.S.Boyd

No6789 D Company, Gordon Highlanders, Cork

Appreciate any pointers

Thanks

Bert (Robert ) Boyd

bertboyd1@ntlworld.com

Hi Bert,

have just seen your post, I am not sure if the dates match, but I have a list of British Regiments that were stationed here in Cork at Victoria barracks (now Collins barracks) from 1805 to 1921 and it shows the

1st Bn of the Gordon Highlanders being here in April and May 1849: April 1867 and again in March 1904 to Oct 1907. It also shows the 2nd Bn here in Feb and Mar 1851.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Sean.

Hi Bert,

have just seen your post, I am not sure if the dates match, but I have a list of British Regiments that were stationed here in Cork at Victoria barracks (now Collins barracks) from 1805 to 1921 and it shows the

1st Bn of the Gordon Highlanders being here in April and May 1849: April 1867 and again in March 1904 to Oct 1907. It also shows the 2nd Bn here in Feb and Mar 1851.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Sean.

I am assuming hat my uncle was stationed there around 1906

I also think he transferred to the Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1917

Can I access names

Thanks for your reply

Bert Boyd

Hi again Bert,

The date fits in with the 1st batt last posting here in Victoria Barracks, but i am not sure if there would be any information re the names of the soldiers who were stationed here due to the hand over in 1922 but i will check it out on Monday.

Regards,

Sean.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Rog

I'm trying to find out more about Captain Mervyn James HAMILTON, 'C' Company, 1st Gordon Highlanders. I believe that he died of wounds to the head (wounded by shell-fire on November 17th 1914) at Poperinghe, on November 28th 1914. Do you have that portion of the war diary which mentions him or deals with the action of November 17th in which he was wounded? I'd be enormously grateful.

Thanks,

Shaun

Hi Bert,

I checked with Collins Barracks ( Victoria) here in Cork re your uncle, but i am sorry, they do not have a list of soldiers who were stationed here, only the names of their regements,

best of luck,

regards,

Sean

Hi Bert,

I checked with Collins Barracks ( Victoria) here in Cork re your uncle, but i am sorry, they do not have a list of soldiers who were stationed here, only the names of their regements,

best of luck,

regards,

Sean

Thanks for all your help. I have another lead now which is taking me to America and Canada

It seems he went to America and joined the Canadian Army in 1917

Thanks again

Bert

• 5 months later...
Guest ablebaker

I am searching for the war diary of the 1/6th Gordons for the period beginning Dec 1915, Do you have any idea where I might locate a copy?

Ablebaker

Hi ablebaker,

I have a copy of the history of the 6th. Battalion Gordons during WW1. If you let me know what you are specifically looking for I can look up and see if there is any mention in the book.

Neil

• 1 month later...

Hi Bydand

I am interested in the fact that you have a copy of the history of 6th Battalion Gordons during WWI.

My uncle, Pte James Davidson, was killed on 14th December 1914 while returning to his base after a spell in the trenches near La Cardonnerie Farm about a mile north of Fromelles, in front Sailly (sur-la Lys), near Armentieres.

Is there anything in the book to confirm this or otherwise?

F Davidson

F Davidson,

This is from the history of the Gordon Highlanders 'The Life of a Regiment Volume 4' - it doesn't go into any details regarding your uncle, but thought it might interest you anyway.

'At this stage another battalion of the regiment arrived and was attached to the 20th Brigade from December 5th. In view of the desperate need of reinforcements the Secretary of State for War, Lord Kitchener, had decided to send out specially selected Territorial battalions, detached from their brigades. Twenty-three arrived before the end of the year. Among those so honoured was the 1/6th Gordon Highlanders. Having been stationed at Bedford since mid-August, it had crossed to France on November 9th and stayed for three weeks near Saint-Omer as G.H.Q. troops. It went into the line the day after its arrival, December 6th. This was a hard beginning of its apprenticeship, worse for a Highland regiment than any other because the 6th Battalion - like the 2nd - entered the trenches wearing shoes, spats, and hose. The brigade diary describes Highlanders' shoes as "useless" in such conditions because they were dragged off and lost in the dark, fifteen pairs disappearing in a single night. It also remarks that the discipline of the 6th Gordons needed tightening, but this would appear to mean trench discipline rather than conduct.'

From what I can gather, James Davidson was the 1st man killed from the 6th Gordons, and 1 of only 3 who died in 1914 (I'm going by SDGW Gordon Highlanders here, so could be wrong). That being the case, its very possible he might be named in the war diary.

The 1st Gordons seem to have taken a bit of a pounding on the 14/12/1914 so i was surprised to see no mention of it in the Regimental History. Hopefully Bydand will have something in his 6th Battalion history.

Barrie

Barrie

Thanks very much for the information. I didn't know for sure that he was the first man from the 6th Gordons to die, but I suspected that he must have been in the first few. He was only a laddie when he was killed; his birthday 24th January and he was born in 1899, which means that he was just over a month short of his 16th birthday.

I'll wait to see if Bydand can add anything further.

Frank

• 7 years later...

I have the details of a William Pimm 2477. He is listed as being killed on the 14/12/14. Listed on CWGC as 1st Battalion but in his soldiers bible he says he left for the Front from Aberdeen on December 3rd. Would this suggest he was in fact part of the Territorials, or was he a reserve for 1st Battalion?

• 4 years later...

I appreciate this thread is 12 years old now, but I have recently traced my 2x great uncle who served in this battalion and died 29/12/14. I'd be grateful for any info you have for December 1914.

3 minutes ago, Nineinarow said:

I appreciate this thread is 12 years old now, but I have recently traced my 2x great uncle who served in this battalion and died 29/12/14. I'd be grateful for any info you have for December 1914.

Mr Row,

The war diary for that period can e viewed on the Ancestry website (free access in most libraries) ot downloaded for a few pounds from the National Archives here.

Who was your 2xgreat uncle?

Cheers,
Derek.