Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Manchester Regiment - Casualty List

Paul Johnson

Lloyd

I think the above piccie is showing a date of death of 16 August (although the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website records it as 17/8) and I think it's "S" Company.

But my eyes are not what they were.

John

It's posisble that with his experience he was later kept at home to assist with training new troops in the 14 Bn and then went overseas again with the 11th

Although it supplied drafts to many of the service battalions, a great majority of those in the 14th Bn were sent to the 11th. Most of the 11th Bn men whom I've researched began their carreers in the 14th.

(In a way, it was similar to the 12/East Lancs who supplied drafts almost exclusively to the 11/East Lancs).

Dave.

Lloyd.

Your Gt.Grandfather qualified for the 1914 Star and clasp with the 1st Battalion of the Manchesters. His qualifying date for this medal was 27th August 1914 (which is the date that the 1st Bn embarked onto the SS Edavana in India (setting sail on the 29th), bound for France (via Egypt)).

Dave.

Here's his MIC showing his entitlement to the 1914 Star...

...and here're the three pages from the War Diary covering the 16th/17th August 1917...

Dave.

post-7911-1138653837.jpg

Many thanks for all the information - it's much appreciated and I'm very grateful for your having shared it with me.

I'm going to see if I can track down his records in the burnt collection. Does anyone know if the regimental archives at Tameside worth investigating?

Cheers,

Lloyd

Lloyd

Yes, trip to the archives @ Ashton should be worthwhile - particularly if you don't have far to travel (I wouldnt necessarily schlep from the other end of the country, though).

I havnt done any research there since they moved to new premises - but when I popped in briefly a few weeks ago, it looked as though they had actually done some proper cataloguing of the collection, which should make if easier to find stuff on a particualr battalion.

John

• 1 month later...

re the archives at Old Street, click here for the index