Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Manchester Regiment - Casualty List

Paul Johnson

Any Casualty Lists I find at the NA will be photographed and posted. This is the first and comes from the Unit War Diary in file WO95/1821. It was an appendix to the August 1917 Diary.

PAUL J

post-1368-1128353435.jpg

post-1368-1128353469.jpg

post-1368-1128353514.jpg

Paul (or anyone else - Dave - where are you when we need you)

Any idea what the P/Q/R prefix to the service number is. Company?

John

Thanks Paul,

have saved it in case i need it in the future.

Mandy

John

318942[/snapback]

Yes.

Instead of "A Coy", "B" Coy, etc, the 11/Mancs used "P" Coy, "Q" Coy, "R" Coy and "S" Coy .

Dave.

Thank you Dave, John & Mandy.

Now we can pin some casualties down to Company level, which can make a real difference to some research.

Regards

PAUL J

• 3 weeks later...

Paul

I noted your Casualty list for the 11th Manchester's.

Only a week ago, I was offered a pair and plaque to a No.41130 Pte. Walter Leak DOW 20/08/17(wounded 16/08/17), fomerly of the North Staffs Regt. He was a Lincolnshire man, from Marsh Chapel. I see he is listed, though with an extra 'e' on Leak. I was wondering if you had gleaned any other info on the actions of this unit or on the man.

i.e. the meaning of the 'R' prefix to his number? which Coy? etc.

I would be grateful for any extra info that you pick out.

Lee Johnson in Scawby, Lincs.

Any Casualty Lists I find at the NA will be photographed and posted. This is the first and comes from the Unit War Diary in file WO95/1821. It was an appendix to the August 1917 Diary.

PAUL J

318907[/snapback]

thanks Paul, much appreciated

i've copied it for our database

chris

One of the names on the 11th Manchesters list was one of my men recorded on the memorial of Christ Church Macclesfield which I reseached a few years ago for the Church. His name was Samuel Thomas Orme .

By an amazing coincidence last year whilst surfing through Ebay I came across his death plaque for sale. I had the satisfaction of the winning bid for a fraction of the price I was prepared to pay. The odds of finding this must have been in the order of one in 600,000! Its now one of my "never to be sold again in my lifetime" possesions having research his sad family background. He left behind a widow and three young boys.

Can anyone give further details as to what the 11th Manchesters action was trying to achieve that day of the 17th Aug 1917?

Keep up the good work,

Steve

Gentlemen,

My humble apologies for this delayed response but family issues have taken me away from the forum lately.

I am at the NA on Tuesday and will endeavour to answer your questions when I am there. I pulled out the 11 Manchester War Diary as part of my own War Memorial research. It is very difficult to give precise responses to questions around Battalions and Locations when carrying out war memorial studies as you often have to look at a great variation of Regiments, Corps and Services in the conduct of your research. Therefore, you do not become expert on any particular field but you do gain a great understanding of how to research individuals or their units. I hope I am able to share this knowledge with all the members of this Forum, irrespective of how small my contribution maybe.

I come across various Casualty Lists from time to time and will photograph and add them to this Forum for all to share. I will also make every effort to assist any Pals who have questions that may arise as a result of these posts.

I will respond fully to your questions on my return from the NA.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :)

Steve

Send a PM to Croonaert.

333932[/snapback]

No need. I've seen the post.

The War Diary for the 17th August reads...

"The night passedfairly quietly.Day was spent improving our positions.Enemy artillery fairly active.Relieved at night 17th/18th by South Staffordshires and marched to Essex Farm..."

Two and a bit whole pages of the diary are dedicated to the actions of the 16th which ended with the 11/Mancs being in positions around the cemetery on the Langemark-Zonnebeke road.

Dave.

Paul,

Will also be at the NA on tuesday, fancy a coffee??.

Andy

Oh, stop rubbing it in Andy and Paul.

Wanted to make it up tomorrow but been sent to Alconbury instead.

(Like being sent to Coventry only with less buildings).

Steve. :(

Awwwwwww Steve,

Sorry my friend, just got some spare time on my hands lately, work slowing down, so trying to catch up on the research.

Andy

Paul,

Great to meet you at Kew today, enjoyed our little chats. Look forward to seeing you there again soon.

Andy

Look you. I told you two once already. Don't rub it in! :D

Any of you two going to be there next Tuesday?

The light at the end of the tunnel is nigh!

Unless it's that bloke with a torch bringing me more work.

Or a train!

Steve.

Steve,

There is a possibility that I might be able to make it next tuesday, still due loads of time in lieu which I have to use before the year ends.

Andy

Time in lieu?

I'm still trying to take day 3 of my holiday entitlement April-March '06 !!!

It's a distinct possibility now...

Steve the Too Busy Bee(by).

Andy,

Nice to meet you too mate. Thanks for the good conversation, it's nice to get other Pals views on things face to face as well as on the Forum.

Sorry Steve, not rubbing it in!! Might see you both there on Tuesday?

As for the 11th Manchesters Diary, it was in use today so I could not access it. I'll try again soon.

Regards

PAUL J B)

Paul,

You remember the record in WO363 I asked you to look at regarding the mixing up of records. After you left I found another one exactly the same, exactly, and another one that was a bit mixed up and after checking with the MIC's found the two records were the same man although two seperate entries in 363.

Sometimes it does make you wonder a little just what they have there all mixed up.

Andy

Andy,

I'm not surprised. Over the past 90 years or so the records have suffered greatly and it should be no shock to us that there is an element of disorder, It's just a question of how much?

WO363 & 364 are a real treasure but it's going to take an Army of Pals to sort out all the errors & mix ups.

Regards

PAUL J

• 2 months later...

John

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and am trying to trace the details of my great-grandfather 2394 Sgt Thomas Bennett who was killed in action at Langemarck in August 1917. I have found his name on the casualty roll posted but can't make out his company or the date he was killed. Could anyone enlighten me?

Also, I am a bit confused on another issue which I hope someone might be able to help me or point me in the right direction. On my great-grandfather's marriage certificate (1916) he is said to be serving in the 14th (Training) Bn Manchester Regiment but obviously he was killed serving in the 11th.

According to my late grandmother he was a professional soldier who had enlisted before the war and he was awarded the Mons Star - leading me to believe that he might originally have been in the 1st or 2nd Bn Manchester Regt - though I have no evidence to indicate this.

My question then is this: did soldiers move around a great deal between battalions or did they stay with the same battalion throughout the war?

Apologies for the long post - if anyone could help me I'd be most appreciative.

Lloyd

Welcome to the Forum, Lloyd.

Before you go on, can I suggest that you have a look at the "research" section of the Long Long Trail (click the link top if this page). It should tell you all you need to know about how to find out more.

The answer to your question is that soldiers did indeed move around and often on retunring to duty after recovering form wounds or illness would be posted to a new unit.

If you go to the National Archives website and download his Medal Index Card (it'll cost you £3.50), the card will tell you when he first went abroad. This will mean you will be able to confirm if he could have qualified for a Mons Star by his service in autumn 1914.

It's posisble that with his experience he was later kept at home to assist with training new troops in the 14 Bn and then went overseas again with the 11th

John