Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pre 1914 ?

sappercalling

Hi

A friend of mine believes this to be a relative about 1914-1918. However he was born in 1871, which would make him 43 at the start of the war. Can anyone give me a clue by the uniform, is it pre war or later ?.

Many thanks for any help.

Peter

post-7257-1128352080.jpg

Peter,

The photo is wartime. Late 1914 at earliest and probably 15 or 16.

The Belt the man is wearing is part of the P14 Infantry equipment adopted after the outbreak of war.

Joe Sweeney

That might be the merest hint of a "T" on his shoulder title denoting Territorial.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I think I can see a T as well over the shoulder title. On the cap badge is that an East or West Lancs cap badge. It is Infantry.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Steve,

I think I can see a T as well over the shoulder title.  On the cap badge is that an East or West Lancs cap badge.  It is Infantry.

Cheers,

Rob

I'd love to see a West Lancs cap badge :ph34r:

Looks like E. Yorks to me.

Hi steve

Is it an East Yorkshire cap badge.

Regards Charles

Thanks for the info lads. He was with the East Yorks.

Peter

Peter,

Have you a name he may be in my grey box.

Charles

I believe his last name is Garner, not sure about first name, will have to ask friend

Peter

Peter,

I have two in the 4th battalion any more information would help. There is 11 in East Yorkshires?.

Charles

Charles

His full name is John Richard Garner, he is believed to have been born at Bramley, S, Yorks

Peter

East or West Lancs-I was just testing you all, trust me to play the smart A**e!

Rob

Peter,

I only have one J. Garner EYR he lives on Bean St Hull. Two others lived on the same street B. Garner RGA & F. Garner RFA. Does that help? Is it possible he was on the lincolnshire coast I have a J. Garner in the 5th EYR (Cyclists) (T) they stayed in UK for the duration.

Regards Charles

Peter,

I only have one J. Garner EYR he lives on Bean St Hull. Two others lived on the same street B. Garner RGA & F. Garner RFA. Does that help? Is it possible he was on the lincolnshire coast I have a J. Garner in the 5th EYR (Cyclists) (T) they stayed in UK for the duration.

Regards Charles

Charles

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to my friend and see if it helps him. Thanks again. Also thanks to the other lads who replied.

Peter