Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Railway Troops

Guest Hill 60

I am looking for any information on the Canadian Railway Troops. I have looked through the 'Official History of the Canadian Army - Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1918' where there is some good information but I was wondering if anyone had anything else they could add.

Many thanks,

Lee

Lee,

You should get a hold of David Love's "A Call to Arms, The Organization and Administration of Canada's Military in WWI". Chapter 29 deals with Railway troops. What in particular are you looking for?

Joe Sweeney

Joe - Thanks for the info.

What am I looking for? ANYTHING!!! Seriously, except for what I've read in theOfficial History I don't have any info on them; so every bit of info is welcomed.

Many thanks - Lee

Have you tried this:

KERRY, A.J. & Mc DILL, W.A. The History of the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, 1749-1939. Volume I. The Military Engineers Association of Canada,

Ottawa, 1962.

The Canadian Railway Troops, Roland H. Hill and H. L. Robinson (Toronto 1920)

Light Rialways of the First World War: A History of Tactical Rail Communications on the British Fronts, 1914-18, W.J.K. Davies (Newton Abbot,1967)

I don't know how easy is will be to find these; I have not seen them myself. I saw them referenced in Two-Gun Cohen A Biography by Daniel S. Levy.

Before his days as a general in the Chinese army, Morris Cohen was a sapper with the 8th Battalion Canadian Railway Troops. He enlisted in the 218th Battalion (Edmonton Irish Guards) and had an interesting start to his military carreer, including a riot or two, the investing of a Police station, and a sensational court trial. At this point it seemed that the army decided that these fellows of the 218th should be merged with their comrades in crime, the 211th Battalion (Alberta Americans) to form the 8th C.R.T to build railways on the 2nd Army front.

A very interesting sequence of adventures!