Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

J. Crawley #8669

PFF

Hello

he is not listed in soldiers died either..

Ian

Hello PFF

What evidence is there that Pte Crawley was actually killed? Presumed dead as per the MIC, although very nearly convincing, does not necessarily mean that he was.

The statement on the website that the plaque was to 8669 Pte Crawley is also misleading as there are 2 Joseph Crawleys listed on CWGC along with 5 J Crawleys, obviously the plaque could be anyone of these mens. If bought from a dealer the temptation to link a lone Joseph Crawley plaque with a 1914 Star to a possible 1/7/1916 casualty may have been too great to resist.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

i have just been having a look at this myself,he is not listed on the roll of honour in the history of the lincolnshire regiment 14-18.

nor are there any joseph crawley's in lincolnshire in the 1901 census,i know this doesn't mean he can't have been in the lincolns.

andy

The statement on the website that the plaque was to 8669 Pte Crawley is also misleading as there are 2 Joseph Crawleys listed on CWGC along with 5 J Crawleys, obviously the plaque could be anyone of these mens. If bought from a dealer the temptation to link a lone Joseph Crawley plaque with a 1914 Star to a possible 1/7/1916 casualty may have been too great to resist.

Also remember that some plaques were produced for men who died after the CWGC cut-off date of 31.08.21 and so there just could be a 'Joseph Crawley' from this section.

The MIC is a good piece of evidence but is not conclusive as Max points out. Does he appear in the GRO Overseas Death Index? (I am away from home at the moment and cannot check).

Terry,

He does not appear in the GRO Overseas Death Index

post-1871-1129980168.jpg