Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding Ship "SeaGull

Zipperheads9

B) I am trying to find a Ship that serves in Halifax NS Canada . My Grandfather served abord 3 differeft Ships . He was a Wireless Operator 2nd Class in the RNCVR ( I have his Sevice File) #VR655 . The 3 Ships are The HMCS Niobe (twice) ,The HMCS Sheawater ,and The SeaGull .

I have been trying to find it but no one as of yet has heard of it.

He was in and aroud Halifax from April 1918 till January 1919

RNCVR WO MOSS.F' VR655

Any help would be apreciated

She is listed under 'Canadian Warships' in 'Jane's Fighting Ships of World War 1' only as

"SEAGULL: Patrol Depot Ship. No details known"

Roy

Hi,

Ships of the R. Navy:

Seagull: Torpedo gunboat, 735 tons, built Chatham Dockyard 31/05/1889.

She was converted as a minesweeper in 1909.

On the 30/09/1918 she sunk after a collision in the Firth of Clyde.

Regards

Arthur

Hello

HMS SEAGULL, lost on 30 Sept 1918, and HMCS SEAGULL were two different ships.

HMCS SEAGULL only sustained one death during the war:

BALL GEORGE B. WIRELESS OPERATOR, RNCVR V R 545 HMCS SEAGULL 14/11/18 ILLNESS

All best

don

Hi  Don,

It seems as though I have passed on duff information. :blink:

Apologies to all concerned.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur,

Don't worry, we all do it from time to time, it's the willingness to contribute that's important.

Roy

Arthur,

You have not passed on duff info - the problem here is that there were two SEAGULLS at the same time - the TGB you mention & an RCN/RNCVR Base in Canada.

HMS SEAGULL TBD - of May '89 became a Minewsweeper in '09 & was sunk 30 Sep 1918 in a collision in the Firth of Clyde.

The the one you want Mark is:

HMCS SEAGULL - RCN RNCVR Base at Sydney Nova Scotia, for Coastal Patrol ships.

from 1 May 1918 to 10 Dec '20.

The name was also used for a Tug number CD74 in the same time period.

Bryan

• 2 years later...
Guest hardyfamily
B) I am trying to find a Ship that serves in Halifax NS Canada . My Grandfather served abord 3 differeft Ships . He was a Wireless Operator 2nd Class in the RNCVR ( I have his Sevice File) #VR655 . The 3 Ships are The HMCS Niobe (twice) ,The HMCS Sheawater ,and The SeaGull .

I have been trying to find it but no one as of yet has heard of it.

He was in and aroud Halifax from April 1918 till January 1919

RNCVR WO MOSS.F' VR655

Any help would be apreciated

My late mother-in-law's uncle served aboard the Seagull. He was also a wireless operator. Can you tell me how you acquired your grandfather's service record?

johanna

ZIPPER, for HMCS SHEAWATER read SHEARWATER ???

Sadsac

• 11 months later...
My late mother-in-law's uncle served aboard the Seagull. He was also a wireless operator. Can you tell me how you acquired your grandfather's service record?

johanna

They may now be available on the National Archives of Canada web site , The RNCVR is a small section of the Archives. If you go to the Geneology page you may find a link to the Listing , it will be the attestation paper's first 2 pages . I ordered mine from the Archives 18 years ago , and got help back then ,as the section was being digitised and moved .

Do you have any photo's? I have a group photo of my grand father but am not sure where the group is or who they are.

Your relative will have a listing as WO it is not Warrant Officer it is Wireless Operator and they came 3 classes Mo1 No2 No3 . , I can not remember the order , but there is only 1 of the highest level. All had to be licesned to civil level to be entitled .

I just found My GrandFather was an MSA man , but was sent to the RNCVR due to need.

Mark

ZIPPER, for HMCS SHEAWATER read SHEARWATER ???

Sadsac

Who publishes the Book? I feel my Grandfather was transfered to the Shearwater when the Niobe was sent for repairs sustained during the Halifax explosion. Does it describe action's during it's East Coast service ? Also a list of men who served and also photo's of Her.

Thank's for the reference .

Zipper

• 7 years later...

My grandmother's brother was a wireless operator on the Seagull too.  He joined in March 1918 and by that time the Niobe was tied at Halifax as headquarters and a training ship.  I just got his ledger sheet at Library Archives Canada (1 page by email, cost of 33 cents).  He did his training on the Niobe and stayed there almost 4 months. From the Niobe he was transferred to the Seagull and from there to the Loos. Then back to the Niobe, where he was demobilized at the end of the war.

• 2 years later...

My uncle Hylton Herbert Cossey served on the Niobe in 1917 in Halifax and after the damage done to her in the munition ship explosion he was transferred to the Seagull in Sydney NS until Jan 1919 when he was transferred back to Niobe and mustered out in March 1919. You will find some info on www.forposterityssake.ca