Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

NW Infantry Units merger?

PhilB

My local freeby paper says:- "Plans are afoot to merge the region`s infantry units, bringing the future of Fulwood Barracks into question".

Does anyone know what these merger plans might involve? Phil B

Given that the barracks is currently home to 42 (NW) Bde HQ and a medical regiment, there should be no problem

There are no other suitable barracks in the North West so Fulwood's future does not appear to be in question. (but I could be wrong) :ph34r:

My understanding is that the new regiment of two battalions, will merge The Kings Own Royal Border Regiment, The Kings Regiment and the Queen's Lancashire Regiment into the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment (one of the Queen's titles). This is infinitely better than the awful, 'King's, Lancashire & Border Regiment which the Army Board nearly foisted on it.

I doubt if the future of Fulwood Barracks is directly involved with the gestation of the new regiment at all. There has been no recruit training there for years. Regimental Headquarters of the new regiment will be there, because its setting in the historic buildings near the gate is excellent. It already houses one of the best regimental archives and museums to be found anywhere.

Jack

On the back of this, and excuse me if it's already been mentioned, but has anyone seen the proposed cap badge for the new Yorkshire Regiment? If not, it can be found HERE

Not the best looking cap badge I have ever seen, especially after the pretty decent one they produced for the new Scottish unit.

Agreed that it it's not the best looking badge but they all seem pleased with it which is what counts I suppose; od that it doesn't have a crown on it though.

Forgot to add this question.

Does anybody know what badge The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment will be wearing?

Are the amalgamating regiments still going to be remembered by the company names (as was originally suggested)? I note that there has already been a title change (when, I'm unsure, as it's over 10 years since I left the QLR) - what was the 4th Bn QLR (TA) is now "The Lancastrian and Cumbrian Volunteers", but are still badged to the QLR.

('bout time Fulwood lost it's RHQ status if you ask me (though I doubt this would happen) - I've never forgiven them for nicking this honour from Burnley Barracks (ELR) in 1881!!! :P ).

Dave.

There are no other suitable barracks in the North West

Carlisle Castle?

Fulwood's only really for admin anyway, so there are actually a number of possibles.

Dave.

Fair point but given that most of the units in the North West are in the Merseyside and Greater Manchester, Carlisle might be a bit north

There again, the Govt is seeking to move the "footprint" of government departments to the North so.... why not? B)

Fair point but given that most of the units in the North West are in the Merseyside and Greater Manchester

They're not though. The GM and Merseyside bit is covered in only one regiment of the merger (the Kings Regiment). The QLR is Preston and the King's Own Royal Borders are Carlisle.

Dave

Apologies for not making myself clear - I should have written "most of the Bde units" :(

It seems as though the new capbadge will indeed be based on the red rose of Lancashire and a crown and will possibly incorporate the current motto of the King's Regiment - Nec Aspera Terrent (Damn the difficulties).

RHQ at Preston is the preferred solution. There is not much room at Liverpool, Preston is geographically central to the new recruiting area and Carlisle is too far north. Thee are likely to be increments at Liverpool and Manchester, but yet again the MOD is looking at the whole future of RHQs.

Jack